The New Big 3 for Non-Powerlifters

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

The New Big 3 for Non-Powerlifters

Post by Barkadion »

Nice article from Lee Boyse. Trap Bar DL, || pull-ups and weighted dips.

I would argue about weighted dips a bit. It does require perfect technique if you want to be injury free, imho..
Great read otherwise.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-n ... werlifters
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Stefano

Re: The New Big 3 for Non-Powerlifters

Post by Stefano »

Really interesting...I agree with TBDL and Neutral Chin Ups

As a push movement I would go with OHP...it was the one that gave me the most consistent progress while keeping my shoulders healthy and stronger

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Barkadion wrote:Nice article from Lee Boyse. Trap Bar DL, || pull-ups and weighted dips.

I would argue about weighted dips a bit. It does require perfect technique if you want to be injury free, imho..
Great read otherwise.

Barkadion, your post made me think about another great article written by Dan John...for him the “Big 3”, in order to become the strongest version of yourself, are:

Heavy Deadlift
Heavy Overhead Press
Heavy Carries

This article inspired my last cluster with DL, OHP and WCU (lifting in a flat, I don’t have enough space to walk)...what about his selection?

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-d ... -stay-weak

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Stefano wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Nice article from Lee Boyse. Trap Bar DL, || pull-ups and weighted dips.

Great read otherwise.

Barkadion, your post made me think about another great article written by Dan John...for him the “Big 3”, in order to become the strongest version of yourself, are:

Heavy Deadlift
Heavy Overhead Press
Heavy Carries

This article inspired my last cluster with DL, OHP and WCU (lifting in a flat, I don’t have enough space to walk)...what about his selection?

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-d ... -stay-weak
I think it makes sense if it fits personal situation.. Trap Bar can fit well into this scenario. You can actually use it for DL/Farmer Walk/DL drill without letting it go. Just a thought..

But again, it all depends. For instance I have dropped TB DL for my current cycle. I am running classic SQ/BP/WPU cluster with KB swings for HIC/GC. Works awesome for the moment.. I won't be running it forever, though.. Trap Bar is waiting for me :D

jzt

Post by jzt »

In my previous cluster I used N Chin Ups, HH TBDL and OHP. I always pushed that agenda regarding minimalist athlete training. I was pleased to see someone sharing this view, minus for dips (which I disagree with).

If youre trying to build a complete strength profile, then I suggest having a Floor Pull/Hinge, a Squat, a Pull, an Horizontal Push and a Vertical Push.

For example: Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Press, Chin Ups or Power Clean, Front Squat, Dips, Push Press, Pendlay Rows.

rs12

Post by rs12 »

I think that cluster is what a lot of us gradually transition to as we get older. I'm not a powerlifter so I don't have to bench press or deadlift with a straight bar anymore if I don't want to, and I often don't.

My current cluster is TBDL (low handle), OHP, and Pendlay Rows. I finish that off with either heavy sandbag carries, yoke carries, or farmer's carry. I love this cluster, it is easier on my shoulders and back.

I use the low handles on my trap bar to get more ROM and I do my Pendlay rows underhand to get some biceps work. I carry my sandbag in the bear bearhug or zercher position and it really works my abs.

I base the carry I do on how I'm feeling. The yoke really takes a lot out of me so I only do it once per week at most. Most of the time I carry my sandbag.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

rs12 wrote:I think that cluster is what a lot of us gradually transition to as we get older.
I agree. What do you think about adjusting conditioning as we age? I would think more E and GC work should be appropriate.
rs12 wrote:My current cluster is TBDL (low handle), OHP, and Pendlay Rows.
You don't feel that you need more squat variations?

Cheers.

rs12

Post by rs12 »

I'm not a powerlifter so I don't feel the need to squat all year round. I do squat but I alternate my clusters between deadlift and squat. My next cluster will be SSB squats, OHP, and neutral grip pullups. I have to switch up my exercises every 2 - 3 cycles or I get injured or bored, usually both.

I don't feel like I'm missing much by not squatting all the time. I'm a shitty squatter, it's taken me 4 years to get to a 2X BW squat, but I'm built to deadlift regularly and heavy and I pull 100 lbs more than I squat. I deadlift 2x - 3x per week, depending on whether I'm doing Operator or Fighter and I've seen some good progress.

I've taken my low handle TBDL from 390 to 440 in the past 8 months. I can pull 500+ from the high handles. That may be slow progress for some but I'm 38, riddled with injuries, and I recover like shit so I'm happy with my progress.

As far as the conditioning goes, personally I do a lot more E and GC than anything else. I was a soldier in my youth and it's important to me to be able to keep going for long distances. I like HIC but not as much as I did when I was 30.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

rs12 wrote:I'm not a powerlifter so I don't feel the need to squat all year round. I do squat but I alternate my clusters between deadlift and squat. My next cluster will be SSB squats, OHP, and neutral grip pullups. I have to switch up my exercises every 2 - 3 cycles or I get injured or bored, usually both.

I don't feel like I'm missing much by not squatting all the time. I'm a shitty squatter, it's taken me 4 years to get to a 2X BW squat, but I'm built to deadlift regularly and heavy and I pull 100 lbs more than I squat. I deadlift 2x - 3x per week, depending on whether I'm doing Operator or Fighter and I've seen some good progress.

I've taken my low handle TBDL from 390 to 440 in the past 8 months. I can pull 500+ from the high handles. That may be slow progress for some but I'm 38, riddled with injuries, and I recover like shit so I'm happy with my progress.

As far as the conditioning goes, personally I do a lot more E and GC than anything else. I was a soldier in my youth and it's important to me to be able to keep going for long distances. I like HIC but not as much as I did when I was 30.
All good points. Cheers.

CD51

Post by CD51 »

The only issue with TBDL for general training is availability. With a low handle position they work the quads very well and can be a fine substitute if you can’t or don’t want to squat. It’s not the same as a conventional pull but so what?

I’m not a fan of the high handle position. Or any partial ROM lift. People tend to load up weights but would be better off just using a full ROM with lighter loads.

But at the end of the day stronger is more functional. Front squat, back squat, trap bar, conventional, sumo... add 100lbs to your lift and you are better off than you were.