Trap Bar deadlifts and MT

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Aiwacht

Trap Bar deadlifts and MT

Post by Aiwacht »

I have just started the BB from Mass Protocol, and will be running MT after. I have a trap bar on the way as previous injuries keep me from squatting and DL'ing heavy. So on to the question: as the TBDL will be both my squat & DL, I am planning to MT as three days rather than 4, just dropping the DL day. My cluster would then be TBDL, bent rows, and OHP. Does this make sense as is, or does something else need to shift onto that DL day?

Any thoughts appreciated!

jzt

Re: Trap Bar deadlifts and MT

Post by jzt »

I've ran TBDL, Chin Ups and OHP and it worked great for me.

Chin Ups are vastly superior to any form of Rows from an athletic perspective. If you can't do them with your BW yet, do them with bands.

If you get really strong at these 3 lifts, you'll be strong enough for any combat sport, IMO.

I'm now using Bench/OHP/Squat/DL/Chins, but I have different goals than you.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Thanks for your input! Sadly, chins are off the books for a good long while, tried them again last year and once again ended up with tendon issues.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:Thanks for your input! Sadly, chins are off the books for a good long while, tried them again last year and once again ended up with tendon issues.
How about inverted rows? It can be very therapeutic if using rings or TRX and there are many ways to progress.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Barkadion wrote:
Aiwacht wrote:Thanks for your input! Sadly, chins are off the books for a good long while, tried them again last year and once again ended up with tendon issues.
How about inverted rows? It can be very therapeutic if using rings or TRX and there are many ways to progress.
Now that's a good idea, as those historically are what feels best. Might rung that at least for the first block & see how things feel.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Now that's a good idea, as those historically are what feels best. Might rung that at least for the first block & see how things feel.
Think about elevated leg/legs, adding weighted backpack/vest, and more. You can get stronger and take care of your shoulders at the same time.

Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Barkadion wrote:
Aiwacht wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Think about elevated leg/legs, adding weighted backpack/vest, and more. You can get stronger and take care of your shoulders at the same time.

Good luck!
I like this! Especially as I can use my new rings that arrived about a week before my elbows screamed 'enough of this crap!' last year! :)

jzt

Post by jzt »

Barkadion wrote:
Chin Ups with palms facing you are terrible for your elbows and wrists, and Pull Ups can damage your shoulders. The very best is close grip neutral Chin Ups or Ring Ups. I suggest trying those.

griff

Post by griff »

jzt wrote:Chin Ups with palms facing you are terrible for your elbows and wrists, and Pull Ups can damage your shoulders. The very best is close grip neutral Chin Ups or Ring Ups. I suggest trying those.
This is a crazy generalization and pretty alarmist. I've never met anyone with shoulder problems from pullups.

jzt

Post by jzt »

griff wrote:
jzt wrote:Chin Ups with palms facing you are terrible for your elbows and wrists, and Pull Ups can damage your shoulders. The very best is close grip neutral Chin Ups or Ring Ups. I suggest trying those.
This is a crazy generalization and pretty alarmist. I've never met anyone with shoulder problems from pullups.
You've never met anyone with shoulder problems from pullups? Well I guess that solves it then!... To use your personal and probably very limited experience in regards to other lifters as a way to gage this is crazy generalization and pretty naive. I always cringe when I see people using a grip literally 2x the distance of their shoulders and cranking pull ups. It's a nightmare for your shoulders waiting to happen. Same as people going extra wide on the bench.

As for chin ups, surely you won't get injuries using your BW if you're scrawny and use low to medium volume, once you start adding 100lbs+ to your 200lbs+ BW you'll understand. My statement was science based, your arms aren't made to fully extend (unless you're into half reps) with a pronated grip. If you would like to test it, hold both your arms in front of you fully extended with a neutral grip, then rotate both hands outwards so that your palms face the ceiling. You'll understand why one feels more natural than the other.