Operator and A+A Snatches

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Hellequin

Operator and A+A Snatches

Post by Hellequin »

Hi there

I just read a lot about those A+A Snatches in the StrongFirst forum and in those articles.
Now I am trying to find a way to combine it with TB stuff.

My idea:

- Operator for strength
- A+A Snatches 3x per week for conditioning
- 1-2x per week E session

Anyone tried A+A? Suggestions?

Barkadion

Re: Operator and A+A Snatches

Post by Barkadion »

What is A+A?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

RileyNadoroznick

Post by RileyNadoroznick »

A few weeks ago I finished a six-week block of Operator combined with Craig Marker's A+A swing protocol, with a longer ruck (E) each week. My lifts all went up, my ruck time improved significantly, and my swings and snatches are feeling really good.

Last April I participated in the Tactical Strength Challenge in the novice division. I took third overall and had the best snatch performance in the division. Tomorrow I'm competing in the TSC again, this time in the next division up. We'll see how it all translates, but I'm feeling good.

It was a solid, enjoyable plan that I absolutely will return to. It is not, however, a replacement for running. The workouts in TBII are still a better approach to overall conditioning in my opinion. But for us here in Saskatchewan, where it's -45°F in the winter... it's a pretty good routine.
#TrainWithConviction

amac

Post by amac »

Barkadion wrote:What is A+A?
I've been trying to sort this out myself. I believe it's related to Pavel's StrongEndurance protocols. I don't think there are any books explaining it so you kinda have to pick around.

I think the idea is that you train the alactic energy system (short bursts of 10 seconds or so) and use your aerobic system to recover, while avoid going anerobic / glycolic.

Here is a link where they do a decent job explaining it:

https://www.strongfirst.com/community/t ... hes.10201/

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

amac wrote:
Barkadion wrote:What is A+A?
I've been trying to sort this out myself. I believe it's related to Pavel's StrongEndurance protocols. I don't think there are any books explaining it so you kinda have to pick around.

I think the idea is that you train the alactic energy system (short bursts of 10 seconds or so) and use your aerobic system to recover, while avoid going anerobic / glycolic.

Here is a link where they do a decent job explaining it:

https://www.strongfirst.com/community/t ... hes.10201/
Gotcha! That is a great link.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Many guys at Strongfirst do only A+A snatches as the strength exercise 3-4 times per week. The other 3 days they do light jogging.

For the snatches, they go really heavy and a lot of volume. I'm talking about 200 snatches with 32 or 40 kg. So there isn't much room for more strength training.

To me, what they do looks like a perpetual base building. 3/week heavy snatches, 3/week light and long run.

If you go as heavy, I dont see much room for additional pulling nor overhead press. I will eventually do something like this:

3/week - A+A snatches + operator bench press.
3/week - TB II conditioning

Maybe you can add some squatting. Maybe 2x5 with 70% or so, as maintenance. I wouldn't do it though. Snatches are demanding.

In my opinion the A+A snatches are better treated as strength training, with a minor bonus of conditioning and strength endurance, rather than the other way around.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

Oscar wrote:Many guys at Strongfirst do only A+A snatches as the strength exercise 3-4 times per week. The other 3 days they do light jogging.

For the snatches, they go really heavy and a lot of volume. I'm talking about 200 snatches with 32 or 40 kg. So there isn't much room for more strength training.

To me, what they do looks like a perpetual base building. 3/week heavy snatches, 3/week light and long run.

If you go as heavy, I dont see much room for additional pulling nor overhead press. I will eventually do something like this:

Maybe you can add some squatting. Maybe 2x5 with 70% or so, as maintenance. I wouldn't do it though. Snatches are demanding.

In my opinion the A+A snatches are better treated as strength training, with a minor bonus of conditioning and strength endurance, rather than the other way around.
Thank you very much for your post. I didn't see it like this before but you could be right. I also read about people who did deadlifts as a 'daily dose deadlift' (https://www.strongfirst.com/daily-dose-deadlift-plan/).

I like the thought about doing benches operator like, 3x per week 3 sets. Then once a week squats and once deadlifts.
+2-3x TB Conditioning.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Hellequin wrote:
Oscar wrote:Many guys at Strongfirst do only A+A snatches as the strength exercise 3-4 times per week. The other 3 days they do light jogging.

Thank you very much for your post. I didn't see it like this before but you could be right. I also read about people who did deadlifts as a 'daily dose deadlift' (https://www.strongfirst.com/daily-dose-deadlift-plan/).

I like the thought about doing benches operator like, 3x per week 3 sets. Then once a week squats and once deadlifts.
+2-3x TB Conditioning.
I think its a well balanced program. Many have reported their deadlift was maintained during snatches, but they were snatching heavy. Are you good with the snatch?

Let me know when you start and how it goes so I can follow your log please. I'm interested in trying it myself in a while.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

It reads a lot like Viking warrior conditioning from a few years ago. That was a bit of a bust. I did that program for a decent period and own the book.

Don’t get me wrong for a general fitness purpose it doesn’t matter what you do, but for anyone who has upcoming fitness tests or running as a work requirement it won’t do the job.

I spent years not running due to perceived problems with past injuries. Now I love my long runs and my conditioning is great.

Nothing replaces traditional LSS work. running is even at the top of all your traditional cardio options. This is my personal opinion.

If you just pair the extra program with TB you need to avoid the mistake of doing programs within programs.

Feel free to give it a go for a few months and do a write up. I would be very interested.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

All right - I will keep you updated. But I don't do logs online. I will come back with a little review as soon as I know how I will perform and then how it went!