First block progress and question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Berserker

First block progress and question

Post by Berserker »

Hey guys, this is my first post and I just wanted to share the progress from my first block of Operator.

My cluster was Squat, Bench press and Hammer strength rows (I have bicep tendonitis and pullups aggravate it) with 3 sets of deadlift once a week. Conditioning was mainly running as I was training for a Spartan race. I didn't really structure the conditioning but I will read TB2 and get something in place for next block.

Progress:
Squat 1rm went from 127kg (279) to 150kg (330)
Bench press 1rm went from 100kg (220) to 108kg (238)
Deadlift 1rm went from 170kg (374) to 180kg (396)

I felt great throughout and didn't get bored at all! I think I'll be sticking with this for some time. I have TB2 and MASS to read through as well so should keep me busy.

For my next cycle I want to incorporate OHP as it's a very weak lift for me, but I don't want to drop the bench completely. I was thinking of doing OHP on day 1 and 3, and benching on day 2... what do you guys think?

rs12

Re: First block progress and question

Post by rs12 »

A lot of guys mix OHP and bench and most seem to like it. It gives you some variety. OHP is usually a pretty slow progress lift, compared to the bench or squat, so your cycles may have to be a bit longer. Give it a shot and see what happens.

jzt

Post by jzt »

First, good job for sticking to it and your progress.

For pull ups, try rings or neutral grips. Machine rows simply dont compare. Or do inverted rows. Anything but a machine.

Regarding the bench and ohp either alternate bench, ohp, bench, ohp, bench,etc meaning one week you would bench twice and the next ohp twice or do 2x ohp 1x bench. Ohp is vastly superior to the bench anyways.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

A possible approach would be to use a lighter OHP in your HIC.

Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will stick with my plan and do OHP on day 1 and 3 and bench on day 2, I could do with placing more emphasis on the OHP.

JZT, I'm at the point were I can do neutral grip pullups relatively pain free, although I doubt I'll be adding weight any time soon.

So my cluster will be:

Squat
OHP/Bench/OHP
NG pullups day 1 and 2
Deadlift on day 3

I'm also reading through TB2 so hoping to get my conditioning sorted. I might start a log too, to keep me honest.

Thanks again!

jzt

Post by jzt »

Berserker wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I think I will stick with my plan and do OHP on day 1 and 3 and bench on day 2, I could do with placing more emphasis on the OHP.

JZT, I'm at the point were I can do neutral grip pullups relatively pain free, although I doubt I'll be adding weight any time soon.

So my cluster will be:

Squat
OHP/Bench/OHP
NG pullups day 1 and 2
Deadlift on day 3

I'm also reading through TB2 so hoping to get my conditioning sorted. I might start a log too, to keep me honest.

Thanks again!
That's a solid plan. Stick to it and you will see great results.

For the BW pullups glad you can do them pain free. I used to have bad tendinitis in the elbows as well from an underhand grip (chin ups). Switching to rings or neutral grip fixed it 100%. Stick to BW only until you really master it imo, then slowly add weight. Don't be like the clowns using 30% ROM with 2 plates attached to them, unable to do 1 strict BW pullup.