Beginner's Guide To Rucking

MxS/SE/HIC/E
grouchyjarhead

Re: Beginner's Guide To Rucking

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Aside from SE work (weighted calisthenics), stair climbing comes to mind which I imagine would be pretty useful to a fire fighter. I've actually wanted to hit some serious flights of stairs with my ruck before I have just not yet had the opportunity.

I'm not a big fan of loaded running however. It's pretty tough on the joints.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Sorry for bumping this thread... Currently doing BB and I have a 60 minute run planned this evening, but I’m considering rucking instead. Does rucking achieves the same results as a LSS run (assuming my long term goals are improving my 1.5 mile and 5K run)? I assume I’ll reach a lower bpm when rucking (even with 50lbs), since it’s flat terrain? Under what circumstances do you use rucking?

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

my personal 2c.

i have used rucking as an alternative to running. Sometimes it is to give the joints a break, and other times I just want to do something different (i do it with a ex army mate of mine so we chat and catch up during the ruck too). The HR will be lower than running almost certainly unless you are doing a climb all the way.

However, if your main aim is to improve 1.5m and 5k timings, rucking's transfer is pretty poor once you have reached a certain level of aerobic capability. Pulling the number out of my a$$ (ok, more like my personal experience), I reckon if your resting HR is low or sub 50, you will see virtually no transfer. I know of people who have improved their running by rucking but they started by being quite overweight, etc.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

ml1985 wrote:Sorry for bumping this thread... Currently doing BB and I have a 60 minute run planned this evening, but I’m considering rucking instead. Does rucking achieves the same results as a LSS run (assuming my long term goals are improving my 1.5 mile and 5K run)?

The same results? No. If you want to get better at running in the most efficient way possible, you have to run. Rucking will have some carryover. It's certainly better than not training. In terms of general fitness, rucking is just another training stimulus. Use it if it helps you get where you want to go. But you want to run a fast 1.5 and 3 miles. I promise you rucking is not the best way to get there. You will be much better served by getting your quality E and HIC work from running and only running.

I assume I’ll reach a lower bpm when rucking (even with 50lbs), since it’s flat terrain?

Doubtful. 50lbs is not considered a heavy load, but it's far from easy. It sounds like you are determined to stay in LSS country (120-150 bpm...conversational pace...whatever). What happens if your ruck load doesn't let you stay there? Yeah you can slow down, but 50lbs is 50lbs...the weight doesn't care what you want your heart rate to be. With running, it's easy to get your heart rate down (even you have to walk).

Under what circumstances do you use rucking?

When I have an operational need to be in "ruck shape." There is almost zero chance I will have to carry a ruck in the near future. So I am not rucking at all right now. I will have to pick it up again at some point.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

ml1985 wrote:Sorry for bumping this thread... Currently doing BB and I have a 60 minute run planned this evening, but I’m considering rucking instead. Does rucking achieves the same results as a LSS run (assuming my long term goals are improving my 1.5 mile and 5K run)? I assume I’ll reach a lower bpm when rucking (even with 50lbs), since it’s flat terrain? Under what circumstances do you use rucking?
Some folks find that rucking improves their run time. To me it's more of the reverse - the more I run, the better my rucking gets. It's a great way to get in some miles to change things up as well as improving posture and strength in your torso provided you keep good posture as you're rucking. If you have any kind of aspirations to go into the military and/or do a selection course, it's definitely a good idea to use. If not, it's not as important.

For your goals, running is going to be your primary activity. Consider rucking when you're smoked and/or need to give your joints a rest from the running.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Thank you all for your answers! Currently, my main objectives are a 1.5 mile run and a 5K run (not related to military or tactical), so I'll stick to running and sub in rucking if I feel I need a rest.