WPU - negative progress

MxS/SE/HIC/E
C.B.

WPU - negative progress

Post by C.B. »

I have been doing TB for a few months now. I did base building using UNweighted pull-ups. I then did a Fighter cluster of BP, SQ, WPU for 6 weeks. I am now half way through a new Fighter cluster of OHP, DL, and WPU.

I find that my weighted pull-ups, while keeping the weight the same, are getting harder and I can do less.

How do I break through that? What's up with that?

Aiwacht

Re: WPU - negative progress

Post by Aiwacht »

What are your sets & reps on all lifts? Also, are you doing them before or after DL?

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

pullups and deadlifts in same sessions are tough. I usually avoid that. only 1 grip-centric exercise per session to prevent grips from being the limiting factor for exercises. YMMV... my grips are usually quite tired from regular bjj to start with.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

RileyNadoroznick

Post by RileyNadoroznick »

Just throwing this out there, but I have seen similar issues with my athletes in the past. It could be a variety of issues, but one thing I've seen make a huge difference, seemingly overnight, was getting a good massage. If you're doing a lot of DL and WPU, chances are you're getting pretty tight in the back and forearms.

I've seen people's performance drastically improve after having their lats and forearms cleaned up a bit by a good therapist. Once those muscles can relax and move freely, pull-ups seem to magically feel easier.
#TrainWithConviction

C.B.

Post by C.B. »

Sorry for the absence when I asked a question.

My sets were designed based on my 1RM of BW+45# (total of 260ish). At first, I was able to do 5 sets of 5 in accordance with Fighter. As time went on, and I did one block, then another block, I "struggle" (good form) to do 4 sets of 5 with a 20# vest. I don't get it. Maybe it is grip strength as suggested, but...

I was doing a BP, SQ, WPU, then switched to dumbbell mil press, DL, WPU. I usually do them in that order, but not always. I don't feel as if my grip is tiring. I just have a hard time pulling myself up. I can hang a lot longer than I can pull.

I will try massage. Not a bad thought. I can try foam rolling first if you think that might help...

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

C.B. wrote: My sets were designed based on my 1RM of BW+45# (total of 260ish). At first, I was able to do 5 sets of 5 in accordance with Fighter. As time went on, and I did one block, then another block, I "struggle" (good form) to do 4 sets of 5 with a 20# vest.
C.B., An 80% load is still under your BW. With 20 lb hanging that is a 90% load.

How many BW reps were you able to get before you started this?

C.B.

Post by C.B. »

So I had massage done on the forearms and the lats, but that didn't do as much as narrowing my grip about 1-2" per hand. Makes no sense to me, but that helped. Also, going back and doing reverse rows helped as well WAY more than I thought that would.