RDL vs. DL

MxS/SE/HIC/E
CeWo88

RDL vs. DL

Post by CeWo88 »

I hope this wasn't adressed in the books and I'm just too dumb to remember it :D

RDLs are not treated like "regular" DLs (from the floor), right?
So for RDLs you use the same rep/set scheme like you would use for squats/bench etc. and not the options from "Incorporating Deadlifts"

Maxrip13

Re: RDL vs. DL

Post by Maxrip13 »

It depends on your reason for incorporating RDLs.

In the end they are just a deadlift variation usually used to focus more on hamstrings for hypertrophy or rehab.

Are you using it as a main cluster lift ?

Need a little bit more info to answer your question.

CeWo88

Post by CeWo88 »

I'd like to use them in my future training blocks, because I'm a bit concerned if the little amount of DLs is enough posterior chain work.
My conditioning work (E and HIC) is done on the C2 ergs (rower, skierg, bikeerg), which all don't really work the lower part of the PC (e.g. hamstrings, glutes) that much. Not only that, but the rower and bikeerg favor the quads and the skierg is generally anterior chain dominant.
Add squats to the mix and I get a lot of anterior chain work compared to the PC.
Before anyone steps in like "But squads work your hammies", yes they do, but no matter what kind of version (high-bar, low-bar, front etc.) you use, the quads are always worked more than the hamstrings.

My first idea was to use Zulu and chose RDLs as an assistance lift, or use Specificity Alpha and use RDLs as a hypertrophy lift.
I don't really want to lift more than 3x per week though, so I thought why not use a squat/bench/row/rdl cluster with Operator or Fighter and then stay with the minimum 3 sets for squads and use 4-5 sets for the RDL to give my PC some extra volume.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Why don’t you just add some single leg deadlift or light RDL work to your warmup instead? Two birds with one stone the approach.

Do you have hamstring or posterior chain issues that make you need specific work?
The posterior chain is probably the most overworked area in day to day life.

I am also a big fan of adding variety in your HIC work. Something as simple as simple as adding some heavy swings or similar after some intervals would tick off your posterior chain.

I don’t really think you would need to add RDLs as a main movement. You can always giveit a go and see what happens.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

In my mind, RDLs are definitely an assistance lift/finisher/SE work lift and not an MS lift.

CeWo88

Post by CeWo88 »

Maxrip13 wrote:Why don’t you just add some single leg deadlift or light RDL work to your warmup instead? Two birds with one stone the approach.
That's a good recommendation, thanks!

I will use SLDLs in my warmup and get the benefits of a bit more PC volume and balancing.