Long-term TB programming

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

Re: Long-term TB programming

Post by mikhou »

You said:
I don't think Fighter I/A + Green will cut it, but Operator + Black Pro may not either.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that Fighter-Bangkok + Green wouldn't cut it? Those barbell standards aren't all that high so I think that Fighter would get you there or maintain you there if you're there already. The SE portion in Bangkok should help maintain your bodyweight work if you program it that way and there's enough E in Green to keep you ready. As you said, if you do a test specific program in the run-up to testing, I would think that you would be fine.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

SteveGrey wrote:In fairness, I haven't run Fighter Bangkok Green for longer than 6 weeks, but it seems to me I'd be a little undercooked on the MS and SE with that option.

I also respond fairly well to HIC when it comes to weight loss and performance adaptations (600 resets, heavy bag resets, etc)

Surely 12 months of green wouldn't be optimal would it?

I assume there would have to be a MS cycle there somewhere to 'top up' MS.

Perhaps I'm underestimating Fighter Bangkok and Green for long term use.

Either way, I appreciate you taking the time out to reply

Cheers
Hey, SteveGrey. Just to clarify, I'm not a military or LE operator. So take the word of others here ahead of mine. I'm just a fitness junkie who has run most of the programs here. I would definitely stay away from Mass. To my knowledge it's not needed (and is often discouraged) for SO. And I'm shooting from the hip here based on what other Operators have said in this forum. (I still think that Fighter-Bangkok Green might get you there.) With 18 months to go, run BB first if you haven't already (that's 2 months). Then you could potentially run Operator Black Pro for 4-six week cycles (that's 6 months) to get your strength where you want it. Then you could choose to go to Fighter Bangkok Green for 9 weeks (that's another 2+ months) or run another cycle of Op Black Pro. Then you swing back around to BB for another 2 months. This puts you less than six months out. You swing back to Fighter Bangkok Green for 9 weeks and then go into your specialty protocol.

All I'm doing is mapping out a strategy to 1) improve your conditioning, 2) increase your strength while maintaining your conditioning, 3) revisit your conditioning, 4) maintain your strength and SE work, and then 5) prepare for selection. You might would do it differently, but why not map out the next 18 months as you want them to be and then go from there?

Again, don't take my word for it. I'm not an operator, but many operators on here can give you good advice.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

One other thing. I'd run the strength-first BB the second time around to maintain your barbell strength.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

SteveGrey wrote:G'day guys,

The selection is pretty standard selection type fair, with running, swimming, rucking, various circuits and bodyweight all a part of selection. That being said, entry standards also require BW Bench, 1.4X BW Squat and 1.6BW Deadlift, so opposing standards between entry and the selection itself.

You have to be good at everything. That simplifies the problem. :lol:

You need to do an honest self assessment of your capabilities. Evaluate your ability in each event against the standard. Rank each event from best to worst. You can't improve on everything at once, so you need to prioritize. You can make a lot of progress in 18 months, but 18 months isn't that long if you are starting from zero.

I don't think Fighter I/A + Green will cut it, but Operator + Black Pro may not either.

Fighter and Operator (and all templates) are just tools. Which one do you need? The answer in your case is Fighter unless you are extremely weak. Fighter will maintain your MS and improve it (albeit slower than Op). And Green unless your HIC really sucks.

Cycle between green and black for the next 18 months?

The amount of Black depends how much HIC improvement you need. You need to be living in Green land.

Should an SE cycle be in there somewhere?

SE should be a constant priority, but not at the expense of MS. See Green Standard template. Short, focused blocks of SE. Then something like Fighter Bangkok to maintain/progress when not focusing on SE.

Mass Building cycle to be build armour perhaps?

NO. Unless you are severely underweight and weak. You would probably have mentioned that in your original post.
The mass you need will come with focused training and nutrition.

Green/black/ basebuild for 18 months?

Basebuilding (SE first, cluster includes the PT exercises you need)

The balance of your time should be in Fighter + Green Standard template. IF (and only if) you need to quickly shore up MS/HIC deficiencies, hit Op + Black Pro and get to Fighter + Green Standard as quickly as you can.

I will always finish up on a specific selection type program prior Good., but need a consistent path to get me there.

Lot of questions , lots of options.

Thanks for your time in advance lads

Steve

SteveGrey wrote:In fairness, I haven't run Fighter Bangkok Green for longer than 6 weeks, but it seems to me I'd be a little undercooked on the MS and SE with that option.

Depends where you are starting from with regard to MS and SE. I like Green Standard template because it cycles in/out of SE focus. During the non-SE phase, you can do an E as a fun run to keep greasing SE.

I also respond fairly well to HIC when it comes to weight loss and performance adaptations (600 resets, heavy bag resets, etc)

Surely 12 months of green wouldn't be optimal would it?

Depends how much your HIC sucks. Keep in mind, Green does not abandon HIC. It just puts HIC lower on the priority list.

I assume there would have to be a MS cycle there somewhere to 'top up' MS.

Fighter is a legit MS template. No topping up needed. The question is, do you need Operator (which will put SE on the back burner - a bad long term answer for you).

Perhaps I'm underestimating Fighter Bangkok and Green for long term use.

Either way, I appreciate you taking the time out to reply

Cheers
SteveGrey wrote:If I'm running a lot of fighter green, is there any real reason to hit BB again?
I would treat your 18 months before selection as a "training year." One BB block at the beginning (initial block) and then get intentional and specific. I would not go back to BB (meaning don't restrict E to LSS levels unless your E is really sucking and you need to to dial back intensity for a block to reap them low HR gainz).
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

SteveGrey wrote:Appreciate the time you put into this.

Basebuilding into black pro for 1 cycle, then fighter Bangkok green right up until the selection program is what Im thinking then.

MS could always be better, but definitely my strong point at the moment.

Everybody's everything could always be better. The question for all of us is what needs to be improved the most, the soonest. If your MS currently meets the standard for selection, put MS lower on your priority list. If I am reading correctly, MS is a gate for starting your selection course. GO or NO GO. After that gate, you will be walking tall in SE/E land. You are currently at GO for MS. You will not get weaker if you work Fighter as intended while progressing E and SE. Conversely, your E and SE will fall off if you put undue focus on MS.

Or should I be doing BB into Fighter Bangkok Green and just holding that until selection?

If you are going with Fighter Bangkok as your primary template (which is fine), you should consider running a dedicated SE block every so often. That's why I like Green Standard template. If you find HIC is slipping (like really slipping), dip into Black Pro for a block. With or without switching from Fighter to Operator (probably not, but that decision should be driven by how much you need to improve MS). IMO, your final block should be the school's provided selection program to the letter.

I could use the strength boost of op black, but I'm 6'1 and 110kg, can still knock out 4 minute kilometres if required (it sucks though) so maybe Fighter will keep me where I need to be

If running fast sucks and MS is within standards, you have your answer. It sounds like you are naturally predisposed to be good at MS and HIC. Your body wants to focus on what comes easily. Don't let it. Fighter will get you stronger over time. Focus on the other domains.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

closefox, well done. I really enjoy learning from others here.

Post by Likes »

Interesting stuff here!

Adski

Post by Adski »

x2 on one of the final points. If you have a set selection program, your last block should be that. This may be longer than 6 weeks.

The only time the selection program should be adjusted is if there are any major things that need to be improved on/lagging. If you stick to that advice given prior, that should not be an issue.