Working sets

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: Working sets

Post by Barkadion »

MuftiMike wrote:What do you mean by superset? As in you don't rest at all in between sets of WPU and SQ?
Right.. I should be more careful with throwing labels around.. :lol:

My set up is:

A
SQ
RI: 2-2.5min
WPU
Repeat for ## of sets

B.
BP
Repeat for ## of sets

What I want to do is:

SQ
WPU
BP
Repeat for ## of sets
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
MuftiMike wrote:What do you mean by superset? As in you don't rest at all in between sets of WPU and SQ?
Right.. I should be more careful with throwing labels around.. :lol:

My set up is:

A
SQ
WPU
Repeat for ## of sets

B.
BP
Repeat for ## of sets

What I want to do is:

SQ
WPU
BP
Repeat for ## of sets
That is my exact setup right now and it works beautifully. I generally only do three sets of squats but pairing the other two lower allows me to do a few more for the upper body stuff if I am feeling good. e.g today haha. I had dead legs from a pool session, but had a bit more energy in the upper body.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote: That is my exact setup right now and it works beautifully. I generally only do three sets of squats but pairing the other two lower allows me to do a few more for the upper body stuff if I am feeling good. e.g today haha. I had dead legs from a pool session, but had a bit more energy in the upper body.
Superb! Will go for that setup with my next block!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

lennarn

Post by lennarn »

When the weights feel super light, I use compensatory acceleration and paused reps to make it feel more meaningful. I usually try for the maximum amount of sets per session because I don't have trouble handling the volume.

I used to superset all my lifts with the exception of deadlifts, but it just doesn't work out logistically at my new gym since people are queuing up for the benches and squat racks...

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

lennarn wrote:When the weights feel super light, I use compensatory acceleration and paused reps to make it feel more meaningful. I usually try for the maximum amount of sets per session because I don't have trouble handling the volume.

I used to superset all my lifts with the exception of deadlifts, but it just doesn't work out logistically at my new gym since people are queuing up for the benches and squat racks...
I enjoy the lighter days and just try to explode up and do perfect reps. I have the advantage of both my own home gym with power rack and 2 oly bars + heaps of weights and also a work gym that has multiple racks. The only problem with the work gym is the benches can get a bit full. I just do squats and pullups and then head over to the benches after. On these days I usually do 5 sets of pullups and 3 for bench and squat. I just add the 2 extra pullup sets between the bench sets.
I am working of a very conservative training max right now after swapping back to tac barbell from another more intensive training modality. It's weird to walk out of the gym feeling ready to train.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

I do the same circuit style thing after reading KB's recommendation. I can usually get away with it because I use the gym at work which isn't super busy. Sometimes I'll back-n-forth between squat & bench, or squat & WPU depending on what's open. Then I finish off with whatever 3rd exercise is left over. I notice a tremendous difference when I stagger upper-lower. Once in a while during a night shift the gym's dead, so I can circuit all 3 (or 4 depending on cluster). Those are always my best, and quickest workouts.

Dot hop

Post by Dot hop »

To take it back to the TB mindset...I have a the hardest time convincing others to try it. People feel like every workout has to be a soul crushing event. TB seems too easy and simple to work.
It doesn't help when they see me resting 2-3 minutes a set. Yet, it's been nearly 2 years and I'm still making progress while they putter around.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Dot hop wrote:To take it back to the TB mindset...I have a the hardest time convincing others to try it. People feel like every workout has to be a soul crushing event. TB seems too easy and simple to work.
It doesn't help when they see me resting 2-3 minutes a set. Yet, it's been nearly 2 years and I'm still making progress while they putter around.
I struggle with this myself. I had some of the most consistent strength results I have ever had in over 12 yrs of training following tac barbell at the start of the year. Before that I was following another more intense programming option that was giving me great results, but I needed to be on leave and do nothing to recover from the sessions.
I went back to that harder programming and again had some great results, but started to have a few overuse injuries. Re injured myself and spent two months rebuilding my back and lifting form.
I am now back and using a very conservative max for my lifts and following operator to regroove the movements.

Basically I feel amazing. My lifts are feeling easy and my back is feeling pretty damn good. I also have heaps of energy and will be working my conditioning hard and building that back up. I actually enjoy my training again and I am excited to throw in the occasional challenge type work out, were before I felt like I was surviving until my recovery day.

Consistency trumps intensity.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Dot hop wrote:To take it back to the TB mindset...I have a the hardest time convincing others to try it. People feel like every workout has to be a soul crushing event. TB seems too easy and simple to work.
Keeping myself on line with the AT LEAST two minute rest per set was initially a struggle too. I think it helps that I don't train in a commercial gym, and I mostly train alone.

Dot hop

Post by Dot hop »

Agreed. My home gym helped me grow up. It was easier to ignore my pride and work with more reasonable weights.Which in turn, gave me more confidence to do my own thing when lifting at the station.