Running technique and injury prevention

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: Running technique and injury prevention

Post by Barkadion »

Caleddin wrote:I dealt with IT band issues when I started running again last. This may be less frequent with TBers, but I think people forget to stretch and strengthen their running muscles - most tend to do one or the other, but not both. So I've got three parts to my "never have to sit on the couch for six months again" plan that lets me keep running.

Part 1: A simple running core routine. You can do this in the morning, the evening, or slot it in with other exercise. Start with 30 seconds each, increase it to 1 minute, and so on. Or you can do the whole set a second or third time instead. It's: 1) Toe-tap/bicycle 2) Plank 3) Bridge 4) Side-planks 5) Bird-dog 6) Reverse plank.

Part 2: IT Band rehabilitation/strengthening 1-2x a week. I leave out the pistol squats, since I will always have some form of squats in MS/SE workouts.

Part 3: Find stretches that target where you're tight. I imagine most of us do this already, but it's so easy to skip. For me it was finding the pigeon pose and a couple others to keep my hips loose. Great for after a run.
Stretching should be done after run - very good point.

I'd also want to add that glute activation drills are very important to prevent hamstrings injury. Glute activation - not strengthening.

- Side walking with the bands around ankles - is the one that is most important for the runners who tend to over-stride as myself.
- Another good one is the bird dog with the band.

I found both drills to be very helpful.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Mike Prevost

Post by Mike Prevost »

Not sure if someone mentioned this yet, but overworking the hamstrings is often due to anterior pelvic tilt (poor posture) while running. The is a very common posture that Jay Dicharry (Google him) calls the toilet bowl posture. Because once you have that posture, everything goes down the toilet. This involves head forward, shoulders slumped forward, and anterior pelvic tilt (Google it). The anterior pelvic tilt takes the emphasis off of the glutes and puts it on the hamstrings. This often leads to over worked hamstrings and hamstring injuries. I have some additional info on my old blog (strong-running.blogspot.com). The key is to fix posture while you run. Two easy cues seem to work for most, run tall, tuck your chin in. This gets you to position your head properly, and your shoulders, then the rest naturally fall in line. It takes some time to make it stick but it works. It seems to naturally improve cadence too.
Mike Prevost, PhD
Assistant Professor, Loyola Marymount University
CAPT US Navy Retired
http://built-to-endure.blogspot.com/

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Mike Prevost wrote:Not sure if someone mentioned this yet, but overworking the hamstrings is often due to anterior pelvic tilt (poor posture) while running. The is a very common posture that Jay Dicharry (Google him) calls the toilet bowl posture. Because once you have that posture, everything goes down the toilet. This involves head forward, shoulders slumped forward, and anterior pelvic tilt (Google it). The anterior pelvic tilt takes the emphasis off of the glutes and puts it on the hamstrings. This often leads to over worked hamstrings and hamstring injuries. I have some additional info on my old blog (strong-running.blogspot.com). The key is to fix posture while you run. Two easy cues seem to work for most, run tall, tuck your chin in. This gets you to position your head properly, and your shoulders, then the rest naturally fall in line. It takes some time to make it stick but it works. It seems to naturally improve cadence too.
Really really appreciate your comment!!! Do you mean staying more upright by saying "run tall"?

Mike Prevost

Post by Mike Prevost »

Yes, stay more upright. What you are trying to achieve is shoulders back, upright, and hip rotated back to neutral. Anterior pelvic tilt is having too much arch in the back. Most people are so stuck in anterior pelvic tilt that rotating the hips back to neutral feels like a rounded lower back. If you fix the top of your posture, the bottom usually flows along at least part of the way.

Excessive heel to to drop in your running shoes can make the problem worse. I like less heel to toe drop but you have to adapt to less drop slowly if you are using really built up shoes.
Mike Prevost, PhD
Assistant Professor, Loyola Marymount University
CAPT US Navy Retired
http://built-to-endure.blogspot.com/

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Mike Prevost wrote:Yes, stay more upright. What you are trying to achieve is shoulders back, upright, and hip rotated back to neutral. Anterior pelvic tilt is having too much arch in the back. Most people are so stuck in anterior pelvic tilt that rotating the hips back to neutral feels like a rounded lower back. If you fix the top of your posture, the bottom usually flows along at least part of the way.

Excessive heel to to drop in your running shoes can make the problem worse. I like less heel to toe drop but you have to adapt to less drop slowly if you are using really built up shoes.
Thank you Mike! That makes sense! I am reading your running blog now. Great information! Appreciate that!