After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
K.B.
Site Admin

Re: After 40 club

Post by K.B. »

PeterHealey wrote:Well how about an after 50 club? Just found TB, 1st time on the forum, read the books and ready to go. At 54 next month I may well be the oldest one here but possibly with the least experience. I have no real decent consistent run at barbell training. I have been all over the map regarding programs. Never trained with weights until 5 years ago when I joined a Crossfit style gym. Started running about 15 years ago and ran many marathons and Ultras since. Weight training has been sporadic when I left the gym and continued to play around with Ultra running. I utilized Stronglifts 5x5 program when not
training for a long race, however I seem to get burned out after 3 months or so. I'm ready for something new that I can use for the long haul (whatever that may be at 54). I'm not planning on running any more marathons or beyond. I come into this with a decent endurance level but would like to focus on building more strength and conditioning. I feel I have found the 'Golden Ticket' in this program and I'm excited to see where it takes me. Pete.H
Welcome Pete!

Looking forward to your lessons-learned/tips on endurance work.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

PeterHealey wrote:Well how about an after 50 club? Just found TB, 1st time on the forum, read the books and ready to go. At 54 next month I may well be the oldest one here but possibly with the least experience. I have no real decent consistent run at barbell training. I have been all over the map regarding programs. Never trained with weights until 5 years ago when I joined a Crossfit style gym. Started running about 15 years ago and ran many marathons and Ultras since. Weight training has been sporadic when I left the gym and continued to play around with Ultra running. I utilized Stronglifts 5x5 program when not
training for a long race, however I seem to get burned out after 3 months or so. I'm ready for something new that I can use for the long haul (whatever that may be at 54). I'm not planning on running any more marathons or beyond. I come into this with a decent endurance level but would like to focus on building more strength and conditioning. I feel I have found the 'Golden Ticket' in this program and I'm excited to see where it takes me. Pete.H
Welcome buddy.

You've found a great resource..... remember to temper your beginnings, so don't go all gung ho on the Basebuilding SE circuits.... better to start easier and build up, leading to more chance of consistency with your training......

Look forward to seeing your journey
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Peter, it's great to have you with us! Please let us know about any questions you might have, and feel free just to put up your plan and you will get plenty of feedback.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good luck with your coming TB journey. It is a great ride and it is good to see you here, mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Mike Prevost wrote:  For old guys this means full range of motion exercises.  Preserving the ability to move the joints through a full range of motion, pain free, is the ultimate goal. /

Sums it up, been a natural progression since doing TB and the main reason I started back into Jump rope and started animal flow for the dynamic movements with yoga. I find the transitions and kick through s seem to be working on my mobility still early doors yet.
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Decado

Post by Decado »

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but you mentioned running Ultras. I've always been curious as to what ultra runners supplement with if anything. In training (daily supps) + pre/during/post ultra. Extremely interested in vitamins/minerals/electrolytes in particular.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Wow, thanks for the welcome and great to get all the support from the forum. So I have my max #'s and decided that Operator/Black is the template I will use. I am 5'9" weighing in at 180lb with maybe 20+ % body fat. My 1 repmax lifts tested are 275lb back/sqt, 365 DL, 205 bench and 80lb 1 rep weighted pull-up. Due to my recent Ultra training and 3 day week other barbell program it was suggested that I could get straight into the meat and potatoes of the program and so I did with this past Monday being day 1. I may keep the endurance weekly at the end of the week and do 2 HICs every week for the other conditioning sessions. Am I correct in thinking that SE sessions should not be done with this template?

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Decado wrote:
This probably isn't the right place to post this, but you mentioned running Ultras. I've always been curious as to what ultra runners supplement with if anything. In training (daily supps) + pre/during/post ultra. Extremely interested in vitamins/minerals/electrolytes in particular.
Well, I have played around with a variety of stuff. Everyone is going to have their own little magic formula. With direct reference to ultra training calories seemed to the greatest concern for me. Making sure that I was putting readily accessible energy back in. I never paid attention to vitamins but minerals and electrolytes was supplemented primarily with Hammer products. They have a decent variety of what seemed to me to be less processed stuff. I have also used 'oat straw tea' which is according to my wife the best natural electrolyte you can use. I used BCAA a lot also and this seemed to help preserve some muscle when endurance training. Hope that helps.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

PeterHealey wrote: Am I correct in thinking that SE sessions should not be done with this template?
I believe you can do SE circuits in place of your E session occasionally (for Black protocol). You could also get some SE in by doing Fun-Runs for E or even HIC (Fast 5, fun-run style, or GCs/HICs that contain swings and bodyweight movements).

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Well just completed my first 'Ruck Up'. I opted for 3 miles with a 55lb KB stuffed into a daypack. I prepared the pack as best I could but by the time I got 1/2 mile in it felt very intense on my shoulders and it felt that all the weight was too low down and not evenly dispersed enough. I trudged through the session non-the less. Lessons learned is that I need a better ruck-sack or maybe a weighted vest. Any thoughts on a decent pack for this endeavor and/ or the weighted vest idea? Pete