Base building help/suggestions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Fitnesswarrior

Re: Base building help/suggestions

Post by Fitnesswarrior »

close_fox wrote:You have time to get there, and you are already working. Good.

As you already know, you have to build up your base of fitness. It seems to me the 17 week sample program in TB2 would be ideal for your situation, but I'll leave that specific programming to the experts.

I do have more than my share of experience taking and passing PFTs, including the one you are training for. Once you have built your base of fitness, there is no substitute for practicing the actual PFT. Don't assume TB (or any program) will completely translate to the PFT. You can probably pass as a byproduct of being "in really good shape." However, unless you are a freak athlete, it will be difficult to get a great score without specific preparation. Not to mention, practicing the PFT will do wonders for your self confidence on test day.

I encourage you to look into strategy for running the 300m. There's plenty of online material to read on this. Few people can all out sprint for 300m. Especially after burning your hip flexors with sit-ups and maxing push-ups to boot. I divided the 300 into 3x100...1 build speed, 2 "float"...stride out and maintain momentum, 3 full sprint. You are running fast the whole time, but using these subtle phases will help keep you from gassing out at 225 or 250m.
Would you suggest doing a practice PFT after completing base building or 1 every few weeks and just push back the schedule a day? The numbers I'm shooting for would put me slightly above the minimum score.

The sample 17 week tb2 program is basically the same thing I was going to out together. The first 8 week bb I had to adjust to alpha circuits for SE since I'm not at the level for the reps it asks in the initial template. The remaining 9 weeks would be much similar to what I expect to use although ill put that part of my template together as I get closer to completing base building.

I've def looked at strategies for the 300m sprint and have seen a variety of suggestions. I'll try utilizing what you mentioned since you've actually done this event. Seeing as you have taken a similar PFT to what I'm training for I may just seek your advice as I delve further into the program should I have any questions. Thanks for your input.

Fitnesswarrior

Post by Fitnesswarrior »

StayGrey wrote:
close_fox wrote:You have time to get there, and you are already working. Good.

As you already know, you have to build up your base of fitness. It seems to me the 17 week sample program in TB2 would be ideal for your situation, but I'll leave that specific programming to the experts.

I do have more than my share of experience taking and passing PFTs, including the one you are training for. Once you have built your base of fitness, there is no substitute for practicing the actual PFT. Don't assume TB (or any program) will completely translate to the PFT. You can probably pass as a byproduct of being "in really good shape." However, unless you are a freak athlete, it will be difficult to get a great score without specific preparation. Not to mention, practicing the PFT will do wonders for your self confidence on test day.

I encourage you to look into strategy for running the 300m. There's plenty of online material to read on this. Few people can all out sprint for 300m. Especially after burning your hip flexors with sit-ups and maxing push-ups to boot. I divided the 300 into 3x100...1 build speed, 2 "float"...stride out and maintain momentum, 3 full sprint. You are running fast the whole time, but using these subtle phases will help keep you from gassing out at 225 or 250m.

Great advice. A short period of specificity after building up general physical qualities is always a good idea, even if it's only 2-4 weeks. Also don't count on performing your best numbers on test day. The fatigue and stress will usually effect your numbers negatively. You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training....so don't aim for just the minimums (which a surprising number of people in the LE community tend to do). Train for high numbers with the mindset that they might drop a little on test day.

Should I practice specificity for a week or two after I complete base building and then get into the continuation template? My biggest concerns are push-ups and the 300m sprint as those are my weakest areas. I'm hoping after base building ill develop the raw requisite skills to be able to meet my goals and by training specificity ill hone in on the details.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Would you suggest doing a practice PFT after completing base building or 1 every few weeks and just push back the schedule a day?
I suggest you retest the PFT after every block you complete, including BB. More frequently as your PFT date approaches.
SE Exercises - Push-ups, Sit-ups, Back Extensions, Squats, Pull-ups, Chair-Dips
I am not tracking why you need chair dips here. Given that your current push-up max is 25, you will have your hands full with 3x20 push-ups during Week 2 of your BB. Hammering your triceps here with these dips doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
The numbers I'm shooting for would put me slightly above the minimum score.

@StayGrey hit it for you. You are going to lose some points on test day. The Form Fairy will eat some of your push/sit/pull reps; count on it. Getting a reliable passing score is your 25m target. From there, you have to get your worst events to average, and get your best events to way above average.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if I were you I would do this:

TB2's 17 week program
Block 1: BB (sub'ing Alpha circuits if necessary, as you have planned)
Block 2: Black protocol per text Rx

Block 3: PFT specific program (Maybe Block II of the TB's PPLE program could work here. I haven't seen it. I say Block II of that program because you will have built a general foundation of strength and conditioning. You have plenty of time to research this block further.)

From there: Evaluate progress and plan additional block(s) based on how much time you have until the PFT.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.