Base Building Options

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Maxrip13

Base Building Options

Post by Maxrip13 »

I am looking at doing a stint of base building as it just worked out it's been a year since I last did.
I am looking at other options besides the traditional body weight or lighter weight circuit type cluster.

I am learning towards the 5 days a week run, pull ups, Heavy swing cluster from Tb Conditioning and I was wondering if anyone had given this a go?

I am thinking of doing the following;

Morning runs 5 days a week.
30-60 min 120-150 BPM and just doing the roadwork.I will probably do mostly 30 min runs and push 1 run a week up to the 60 min mark.

PM Training session
3 days a week, 5 if able.
10x 24kg 2 hand Kettlebell Swings and 5 x Pullups for 10 rounds.I am looking at doing these EMOTM or 1 round every 2 mins if i need the extra recovery. I may also use a 10 kg weight vest as I am pretty strong at pullups for rounds.

I will look at doing this for 5 weeks before retesting my lifting maxes and jumping into OP I/A with black focus.

I was wondering if anyone had completed the swing, pull up, run base building from TB Cond and if so what were there results.
Also any opinions on the above plan?

I am on a phone so sorry if this is written even less grammatically correct than I usually type.

Sorntel

Re: Base Building Options

Post by Sorntel »

Could be wrong but I think Grouchyjarhead is running this or something like it right now in his training log.

Personally I think it's a fantastic idea, and I'm planning on doing it for my next BB. I would add in some sort of press; push-ups, push-press, MP, or something.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Cheers for the heads up. I tried to search for anyone doing similar and must have missed that log.

I thought about adding sets of pushups.
I was thinking something like the following.
5 Pull ups
5-10 Push ups
10 Swings

Repeat for 10 rounds.

I don't know if it's really necessary, but I may consider it.

I am thinking of starting a t3 pullups and 5 pushups and adding a rep each week for 5 weeks. I have had some success building up bodyweight volume in the past like this. I will start at 16 kg and build up to 32kg but maintain the 10x10 swings.

Just floating some different ideas around.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Cheers for the heads up. I tried to search for anyone doing similar and must have missed that log.

5 Pull ups
5-10 Push ups
10 Swings

Repeat for 10 rounds.

I am thinking of starting a t3 pullups and 5 pushups and adding a rep each week for 5 weeks. I have had some success building up bodyweight volume in the past like this. I will start at 16 kg and build up to 32kg but maintain the 10x10 swings.

There was a post on TB reddit from someone (I don't remember user name) who did following BB version:

TB runs
Pavel's S&S
Pavel's pull-up fighter program

All on daily basis if I'm not mistaking. AM/PM split.

I wish I could dig that post up..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Cheers for the heads up. I tried to search for anyone doing similar and must have missed that log.

5 Pull ups
5-10 Push ups
10 Swings

Repeat for 10 rounds.

There was a post on TB reddit from someone (I don't remember user name) who did following BB version:

TB runs
Pavel's S&S

That would make sense, so you get a press, pull-ups and swings. Personally I'd sub in barbell push-press instead of TGUs though.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

5 Pull ups
5-10 Push ups
10 Swings

Repeat for 10 rounds.

TB runs
Pavel's S&S

That would make sense, so you get a press, pull-ups and swings. Personally I'd sub in barbell push-press instead of TGUs though.
TGU is the best shoulder stabilizing tool in the whole universe :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I have done simple and sinister in the past and it worked well when I wanted to train bjj regularly.
I considered it, but wouldn't that be moving away from the whole endurance aspect into more strength?

The idea behind my Pullup, Swing cluster was that I was do a reasonable volume and it would still be some form of endurance. With the swings and the getups it seems more of a strength cluster with some running.

It might be worth looking at though as the getup would be just as good as pushups if not better and I could just do a single heavy set on both sides and save time.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I may do that fighter pullup program plus swings and getups S&S style. It looks like it might be a bit of fun and would be good to see how high my pullups can get. I guess that would tick a bit more of the endurance box that I am after. I am thinking something like this then.

Am
Run 30-60 min LSS

PM
Fighter pullup progression ( probably working off a conservative 15 rep max)
10x10 swings 16-24-32 kg
Turkish getups 24-32kg 1L,1 R for 5 rounds

This might be even better than my original idea. I just need to force myself to finish this week at a minimum with my 85% operator percentages.
I will probably finish the program up a week earlier as it was just a conservative return to this style of programming and I may as well kick start it all with 5 weeks of base building in prep for next year.

I will have a couple work fitness tests I will have to sub in, but they should be ok if I start with 3 S&S style session and focus on getting the runs in atleast 3 times a week. I may even alternate days with run, S&S run,S&S etc and build up the volume over the program.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Maxrip13 wrote:I have done simple and sinister in the past and it worked well when I wanted to train bjj regularly.
I considered it, but wouldn't that be moving away from the whole endurance aspect into more strength?

The idea behind my Pullup, Swing cluster was that I was do a reasonable volume and it would still be some form of endurance. With the swings and the getups it seems more of a strength cluster with some running.

It might be worth looking at though as the getup would be just as good as pushups if not better and I could just do a single heavy set on both sides and save time.
Maxrip, S&S is close enough on the spectrum to SE - it's a good fit for Base if you're taking the unconventional approach.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

K.B. wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I have done simple and sinister in the past and it worked well when I wanted to train bjj regularly.

Maxrip, S&S is close enough on the spectrum to SE - it's a good fit for Base if you're taking the unconventional approach.
That might be the plan instead with some added pull ups of higher volume thrown in the mix. I will be glad to get some more use out of that book on top of the TB books I own. Cheers for the reply. You should also sort out some t shirts or similar :D I am in australia and I would love to order some at the same time as ordering hard copy versions of the TB books.