Anaerobic capacity question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Anaerobic capacity question

Post by Barkadion »

I don't have an access to a track and might be doing it on the road. Can I structure the drill by time - not by distance?
Something like:

2min jog
1min sprint
2min jog
1min sprint
1min jog
30sec sprint
1min jog
30sec sprint
Some plank push ups substitute (that you can do along roadside?)

What do you guys think?
Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Caleddin

Re: Anaerobic capacity question

Post by Caleddin »

I've successfully done distance-based intervals on road runs using a HR watch and pedometer. Most watches should have something you can program - my dusty old Garmin FR70 can set up an interval program with a warm-up (for time), then a beep for an interval with multiple beeps to let you know when you're about to stop, and then another distance you can walk/jog/run before the next interval.

I'm sure time would work too, but if you have a watch you can definitely still do distance. If you're in a city with a lot of stops it might be tough, though.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Caleddin wrote:I've successfully done distance-based intervals on road runs using a HR watch and pedometer. Most watches should have something you can program - my dusty old Garmin FR70 can set up an interval program with a warm-up (for time), then a beep for an interval with multiple beeps to let you know when you're about to stop, and then another distance you can walk/jog/run before the next interval.

I'm sure time would work too, but if you have a watch you can definitely still do distance. If you're in a city with a lot of stops it might be tough, though.
Thank you! I have been thinking using Gymboss for interval beeps. I live in semi-rural are. Big city suburb surrounded by farms.
What do you think abut timing for 800m/400m/200m? Are 2min/1min/30sec close enough to the distances in the drill?

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Barkadion wrote: I live in semi-rural are. Big city suburb surrounded by farms.
What do you think abut timing for 800m/400m/200m? Are 2min/1min/30sec close enough to the distances in the drill?
If you want to get as close to the session as written, without the use of the track, then the 800m / 2 min time may well be inaccurate..... the jogs are the recovery aspect, and to jog 800m may take a little longer than 2 mins. ;)

I am not a 'small' guy by any stretch of the imagination, so don't take my times as an indication of yours..I did this at a track a few months back... but I was running 400m in a little over 90s, and the 800m recovery was around 4 mins. [Bear in mind, I am 230# and 45]

If I were to run this on the trails with no distance markers, I would increase the recovery timings but KEEP the RUN timings.

As to the plank pushups..... There's no reason why you couldn't do them back at home upon your return..... or just do them on some grassy verge :twisted:

Hope that helps.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote: I live in semi-rural are. Big city suburb surrounded by farms.
If you want to get as close to the session as written, without the use of the track, then the 800m / 2 min time may well be inaccurate..... the jogs are the recovery aspect, and to jog 800m may take a little longer than 2 mins. ;)

I am not a 'small' guy by any stretch of the imagination, so don't take my times as an indication of yours..I did this at a track a few months back... but I was running 400m in a little over 90s, and the 800m recovery was around 4 mins. [Bear in mind, I am 230# and 45]

If I were to run this on the trails with no distance markers, I would increase the recovery timings but KEEP the RUN timings.

As to the plank pushups..... There's no reason why you couldn't do them back at home upon your return..... or just do them on some grassy verge :twisted:

Hope that helps.
It does! Thank you. Do you mean increase JOG timing but keep the SPRINT timing?

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

I do indeed.

Increase Jog times and keep the sprint times.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:I do indeed.

Increase Jog times and keep the sprint times.
Thank you a lot! BTW, I am 46 and 210lb currently :lol:

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

You could do this at a park or in an alley by just getting a roughly estimated 100m, and then run shuttle-style. I've done Speed Endurance Ladders and 600m Resets on an open field running shuttle style, and, though not ideal, they both worked well. It's a great way to pass the time when you are at a kids' soccer practice!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:You could do this at a park or in an alley by just getting a roughly estimated 100m, and then run shuttle-style. I've done Speed Endurance Ladders and 600m Resets on an open field running shuttle style, and, though not ideal, they both worked well. It's a great way to pass the time when you are at a kids' soccer practice!
Thank you J-Madd!