Forced progression - stalling

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Corax

Re: Forced progression - stalling

Post by Corax »

Excellent advice! I'm coming off years of 5/3/1 and while excellent, I think I took the intensity way too far at times. Constantly chasing those PRs eventually started to burn me out real bad. I started to fear my upcoming sessions and then realized I had to take a different path. With TB, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion too: make your strength work easy and save the eye-popping intensity for conditioning. For me it has had nothing but benefits: I walk around with more energy, better conditioning ... and I'm stronger than when I was training for my PRs. Wish I smartened up sooner.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Corax wrote:Excellent advice! I'm coming off years of 5/3/1 and while excellent, I think I took the intensity way too far at times. Constantly chasing those PRs eventually started to burn me out real bad. I started to fear my upcoming sessions and then realized I had to take a different path. With TB, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion too: make your strength work easy and save the eye-popping intensity for conditioning. For me it has had nothing but benefits: I walk around with more energy, better conditioning ... and I'm stronger than when I was training for my PRs. Wish I smartened up sooner.
Sadly it always takes us so long to work this out :D I would say it's the problem with the drive most people on here would have.

I am ex military now LEO. My previous job was a cushy managerial type role with a set schedule most days and gym time in the morning.

I was following a different tactical type program and had similar results. I was extremely fit, but the sheer volume always made things a struggle. Don't get me wrong it is brilliant programming and I was able to become extremely fit and get amazing results, however my life became training.
I am happy I trained like this to experience it. It puts what other people consider hard in perspective and makes me ready to do the work to get shit done if needed.

I now work shifts and don't have the greatest sleep schedule and can't always recover properly. I also can't afford to be absolutely exhausted from the morning training session before going to work and I sure as hell can't train too hard after.

Tactical barbell is the perfect middle ground right now. I can use a training max and hit my bare minimums when work gets in the way. If I have a admin type shift I can push it harder and work some volume. If I am coming off night shift and have a day or two off I can hit a challenge type session and go push myself for an hour or two.

Am I as fit as when I was pushing myself to the limit before ? Not this very second, but 12-24 months from now the plan is to make that previous best my 75% week or my easy week HIC/E.

Im6-7

Post by Im6-7 »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Tactical barbell is the perfect middle ground right now. I can use a training max and hit my bare minimums when work gets in the way. If I have a admin type shift I can push it harder and work some volume. If I am coming off night shift and have a day or two off I can hit a challenge type session and go push myself for an hour or two.

Am I as fit as when I was pushing myself to the limit before ? Not this very second, but 12-24 months from now the plan is to make that previous best my 75% week or my easy week HIC/E.
Well said. That's what I like about TB....when life and health permits I can use the extreme parameters of the program. When I can't, I can still hit the minimums and keep the momentum going.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Great post! I like the using of the RI to assess your mastery of the weight.[/quote]

Thanks.

I find that if I am feeling good and ready to go at that 2 min mark then I am ready to consider progressing or adding another set or 2.

If I am hitting those 2 min rest intervals, my body is feeling good and I want to push to 5 or more sets in my final week then that weight has been mastered and I need to retest for a new training max.

If I hit the 2 min rest intervals, my body is feeling good, but I mostly do the bare minimum sets due to work , then I will do a small force progression at the end of the cycle and use that as my new training max.

My last cycle I hit my 2 min rest intervals to start, but gradually I start to add a bit of time here and there.I only did the bare minimums on the sets and work really caused me to have to adjust my original conditioning plans. I had to reassess and work out what went wrong. The weights felt easy, but I just wasn't recovering properly. I then realized I hadn't done BB since this time last year.

The plan now is BB then a max retest and into OP I/A + Black. The BB should give me a top up on general conditioning and boost that recovery ability back up. Then the gradual progression begins again with that new weight until BB is due again in a year or so. Rinse and repeat for life haha :D