OHP

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

OHP

Post by Barkadion »

Great piece from Rip. There's been discussions on this forum about OHP being part of cluster VS BP, etc.

That explains it and then some.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/get-your-press-up
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aelian

Re: OHP

Post by Aelian »

Meh. There is no "vs", they're both good. You can write up an equally tough-talk sounding article about why the bench is superior to the press. I like Rip, but I'm not a fan of "you're not a man if you don't_____" type articles. Do one, do both, it doesn't matter, as long as it fits your goals.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aelian wrote:Meh. There is no "vs", they're both good. You can write up an equally tough-talk sounding article about why the bench is superior to the press. I like Rip, but I'm not a fan of "you're not a man if you don't_____" type articles. Do one, do both, it doesn't matter, as long as it fits your goals.
Well.. yes and no. One of his points oriented toward stupidity of neglecting rotator cuff involvement. His article strickes into bro- lifting crowd and he makes his statement clear.

TB is different. I know. But still it is s good article to read.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Barkadion wrote: Well.. yes and no. One of his points oriented toward stupidity of neglecting rotator cuff involvement. His article strickes into bro- lifting crowd and he makes his statement clear.

TB is different. I know. But still it is s good article to read.
Rotator cuff involvement? This orthopedic surgeon suggests the opposite. He sees rotator cuff injuries in people that military press heavy weight:

https://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-rec ... tator-cuff

I actually prefer the OHP to BP, but I find this "vs" attitude between exercises ridiculous.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Aelian wrote:
I actually prefer the OHP to BP, but I find this "vs" attitude between exercises ridiculous.
Dude, Rip didn't say do OHP instead of bench. He says "do both", in the article and in his programs.

One of his points in the article is that he himself benched heavy without doing OHP for 15 years, and it ended up in shoulder surgeries for him. He is now convinced that doing both would have resulted in less imbalance, and perhaps no shoulder surgeries.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

In the spirit of Operator and keeping the exercises few and simple, I am planning to rotate BP and OHP in clusters. I will spend slightly less time on OHP because I am planning to start at 90% of 1RM as a TM and then force progression. Since OHP's 1RM is lower than BP then I will end up spending slightly less time on OHP.

Jkk89

Post by Jkk89 »

Can you switch like 12 weeks of operator do Bench, 12 weeks do OHP ? To switch it up and get great results and still take care of your shoulders ?

Adski

Post by Adski »

I actually like that article, I've never really worked much with the bench press, but i have performed weighted dips regularly and my OHP is nowhere near where my dips are (weight +BW). It's actually been great working with them over the last little while, it definitely is a neglected exercise by most. Cheers for sharing the article!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Jkk89 wrote:Can you switch like 12 weeks of operator do Bench, 12 weeks do OHP ? To switch it up and get great results and still take care of your shoulders ?
I think it is mentioned in TB books that you can switch exercises in clusters like BP/OHP and BSQ/FSQ and such.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:I actually like that article, I've never really worked much with the bench press, but i have performed weighted dips regularly and my OHP is nowhere near where my dips are (weight +BW). It's actually been great working with them over the last little while, it definitely is a neglected exercise by most. Cheers for sharing the article!
Glad you like it! Dips are great! I am running it now since my low ceiling doesn't allow OHP. BUT.. I might opt for landmine press in the future!