Pull up progression for the weak one?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
begz

Re: Pull up progression for the weak one?

Post by begz »

xfitxm wrote:Do you do some kind of warmup before?

I do some jumping chin up and a couple of singles before starting with more reps.
I usually just go straight to chin ups. I have done inverted rows sometimes but often forget / don't have time :oops: Definitely going to start warming up better for now on.

Not sure if it's warming up related this time though, since it was last rep of the session.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:
mikhou wrote:Get a door hang pull-up bar and every time that you walk by it, do 2 reps. As your max number of reps increases, so does the number of reps that you do per set. It's a very simple, but effective way to raise your pull-up numbers.
I just did this with three of my sons. We hung a pull-up bar in their bedroom doorway, and every time they cross that threshold they do a pull-up. In just a few weeks they all went from being able to do 1-2 ugly reps, to being able to do 10-11 perfect dead hang pull-ups. Of course these are kids (8, 10, and 12) and I bet pretty much anything works with kids. Nevertheless, it was great to see the "grease the groove" magic at work.
I've done this before which is why I posted it earlier. I am thinking of doing this again alongside my next round of SE when I run Base Building again. Also if I stall on forced progressions for weighted chin-ups I may run bodyweight pull-ups for awhile as part of Operator. I don't know if I would prefer to do %-age of maximum reps as prescribed in Op or if I'll do GTG style pull-ups throughout the day. Thoughts?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

To combine with some of the ideas mentioned, here's the pull up program gaining a lot of traction with the Marine Corps due to their push to make pull-ups mandatory for women as well as men.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Docs/ ... gGuide.pdf

Dovx

Post by Dovx »

In your case, I think you just need to do pullups more. (3-4x times per week, don't push failure)

I would like you to also consider adding chinup holds (top position, legs straight, head above the bar..and hold on...) ,
4x sets work up to 40-50s hold / with <1:30min rest between. (don't do it in same session with normal pullups)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I am currently doing the fighter pullup program as part of my base building cycle.

One recommendation is to start it below your max to be able to progress. I am good for 15 strict reps so I went with a 10 rep max. With your pullups being lower you may struggle, but you can do negatives. As mentioned earlier due to the lower number you could work it of something lower like a 3 or rep max.

If you started at a 2 RM

You are now hitting 10 reps in a workout which is double and a half your max.
Another big tip is longer rest breaks especially as this is a strength exercise for you. Try to stay in the 3-5 min range as much as possible.
Good Luck with it all.

begz

Post by begz »

Maxrip13 wrote:I am currently doing the fighter pullup program as part of my base building cycle.

One recommendation is to start it below your max to be able to progress. I am good for 15 strict reps so I went with a 10 rep max. With your pullups being lower you may struggle, but you can do negatives. As mentioned earlier due to the lower number you could work it of something lower like a 3 or rep max.

If you started at a 2 RM

Another big tip is longer rest breaks especially as this is a strength exercise for you. Try to stay in the 3-5 min range as much as possible.
Good Luck with it all.
Good tips. I figured 3RM program would be easy enough with chin ups for me since I could do at least 5 with max attempt.

My rest breaks have been too short it seems. I've been doing 2min rests when there are 2+ reps on the following set and when there's only one rep to follow, I rest couple seconds and then go again. Because "It's just one rep".

And it was one of those couple seconds rests when I tweaked my back.. go figure.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

begz wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I am currently doing the fighter pullup program as part of my base building cycle.

If you started at a 2 RM

Good Luck with it all.
Good tips. I figured 3RM program would be easy enough with chin ups for me since I could do at least 5 with max attempt.

My rest breaks have been too short it seems. I've been doing 2min rests when there are 2+ reps on the following set and when there's only one rep to follow, I rest couple seconds and then go again. Because "It's just one rep".

And it was one of those couple seconds rests when I tweaked my back.. go figure.
Take the rest periods. I know it feels easy, but it's meant to. You are still in the 85-95% range for your current pull up strength.
You wouldn't take a couple secs rest for a 1RM Squat. Give it a year of consistent work and you will be smashing out 10-15 with no issues.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Just a revisit on this thread. I just finished the fighter pullup program and went from 15 reps to 20 reps in 4-5 weeks.
I used a conservative 10 rep max to base my progressions. I already had decent pullup numbers and had such a dramatic increase. I can only imagine what this progression would do for someone who currently has between a 5-10 rep max.

I would recommend it for anyone who wants to increase their pullup numbers. I find weighted pullups work for all round strength better, but its nice to finally hit that 20 reps :D

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote: I used a conservative 10 rep max to base my progressions.
That's a great use of a training max to make progress!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

grouchyjarhead wrote:To combine with some of the ideas mentioned, here's the pull up program gaining a lot of traction with the Marine Corps due to their push to make pull-ups mandatory for women as well as men.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Docs/ ... gGuide.pdf
Thank you, this looks useful.