Shoulder injury from benching?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: Shoulder injury from benching?

Post by Barkadion »

Jefferson wrote:I've had multiple shoulder injuries from BJJ, climbing, bench press etc. I'm not at 100% but I'm getting there. A few ideas that have helped me.

1. Improve posture during the day. Switched to a stand up desk and use it for portions of the day. Make sure sleeping posture is good too. Use extra pillows if needed to put the shoulders and neck in a good position.

2. Hang from a pull-up bar according to the Dr. Kirschman protocol daily. Basically dead hang for 30 seconds at a time stretching all the junk in the shoulder girdle. Accumulate several minutes. This is like magic, but it's so simple and boring nobody wants to do it.

3. Pavel's simple and sinister. Swings and TGU helped retrain my upper back and shoulders to work together in different ranges of motion.

4. Bench press less. Practice push-ups, ring push ups and other movements that force the use of the upper back with arms perpendicular to the body. Crawling, downward dog, push up+,
I'd be careful with dead hangs, though.

http://www.markpieciak.com/2013/11/dead ... er-health/
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Jefferson wrote:I've had multiple shoulder injuries from BJJ, climbing, bench press etc. I'm not at 100% but I'm getting there. A few ideas that have helped me.

2. Hang from a pull-up bar according to the Dr. Kirschman protocol daily. Basically dead hang for 30 seconds at a time stretching all the junk in the shoulder girdle. Accumulate several minutes. This is like magic, but it's so simple and boring nobody wants to do it.
Solid recommendation. Between dead hangs and an inversion table I've pretty much avoided all major lower back + shoulder issues. (knock on wood)

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

I'm not sure how the link you posted relates to your comment. I don't believe everything works for everyone, but hanging from a bar seems to be the least dangerous activity that someone training according to tactical barbelll principles can engage in. Reading the book might be helpful for some.

Barkadion wrote:

1. Improve posture during the day. Switched to a stand up desk and use it for portions of the day. Make sure sleeping posture is good too. Use extra pillows if needed to put the shoulders and neck in a good position.

3. Pavel's simple and sinister. Swings and TGU helped retrain my upper back and shoulders to work together in different ranges of motion.

4. Bench press less. Practice push-ups, ring push ups and other movements that force the use of the upper back with arms perpendicular to the body. Crawling, downward dog, push up+,

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Jefferson wrote:I'm not sure how the link you posted relates to your comment. I don't believe everything works for everyone, but hanging from a bar seems to be the least dangerous activity that someone training according to tactical barbelll principles can engage in. Reading the book might be helpful for some.

Barkadion wrote:

What I am trying say that the dead hang is helpful if it is done with proper technique which might be difficult to maintain if the shoulder is already in compromised state.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Fair point. Hanging can cause initial discomfort, but shouldn't cause actual "pain." Dr. kirschmans book addresses this and is well worth the read if someone has shoulder issues.

Barkadion wrote:
Jefferson wrote:I'm not sure how the link you posted relates to your comment. I don't believe everything works for everyone, but hanging from a bar seems to be the least dangerous activity that someone training according to tactical barbelll principles can engage in. Reading the book might be helpful for some.

Barkadion wrote:

What I am trying say that the dead hang is helpful if it is done with proper technique which might be difficult to maintain if the shoulder is already in compromised state.