Weighted pull up training percentages

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Weighted pull up training percentages

Post by Tyr0331 »

Which method are you using for the weighted pull up percentage calculations? During base building I felt the loads to be to heavy when I used the simple percentage based on how much weight I was was pulling as opposed to factoring in my BW into the equation which is what I'm doing now. But what I'm finding out is that the weight is too light

Max on WPU at 215 BW was BW+125 giving me a total of 340

I decided to go with the 90% training max for my lifts this go around so I've been using 310 as my TM

Working sets each week(rounded up)

Week 1: 235(20)
Week 2: 250(35)
Week 3: 280(65)

These weights are way too light I'm not getting anything out of it. Do you think I should switch back to the original method of percentages or use my actual max percentage when calculating my percentages to add a few extra pounds each week?

Barkadion

Re: Weighted pull up training percentages

Post by Barkadion »

Those are very respectful numbers. Cheers mate!

Just out of curiosity.. would you consider progressing to one arm pull-ups? Those can really bring you to the ninja level.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Tyr0331 wrote:Which method are you using for the weighted pull up percentage calculations? During base building I felt the loads to be to heavy when I used the simple percentage based on how much weight I was was pulling as opposed to factoring in my BW into the equation which is what I'm doing now. But what I'm finding out is that the weight is too light

I decided to go with the 90% training max for my lifts this go around so I've been using 310 as my TM

These weights are way too light I'm not getting anything out of it. Do you think I should switch back to the original method of percentages or use my actual max percentage when calculating my percentages to add a few extra pounds each week?
Are the weights too light all the way through weeks 1-3?

Try dropping the training max first, use a real max. From there you can just force progression by 10lbs every block. At some point using forced progression will bring you to a point where the weight's challenging enough.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Barkadion wrote:Those are very respectful numbers. Cheers mate!

Just out of curiosity.. would you consider progressing to one arm pull-ups? Those can really bring you to the ninja level.
Thanks. Only two things I weighted up thru my teen years was dips and pull-ups before I got into weight lifting so pull ups has always been strong for me. I haven't considered the one arms but maybe I should. I was considering going with ring muscle ups on my next cluster

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Vagabond wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:Which method are you using for the weighted pull up percentage calculations? During base building I felt the loads to be to heavy when I used the simple percentage based on how much weight I was was pulling as opposed to factoring in my BW into the equation which is what I'm doing now. But what I'm finding out is that the weight is too light

Are the weights too light all the way through weeks 1-3?

Try dropping the training max first, use a real max. From there you can just force progression by 10lbs every block. At some point using forced progression will bring you to a point where the weight's challenging enough.
That sounds like a good plan. I'll go with that

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Those are very respectful numbers. Cheers mate!

Thanks. Only two things I weighted up thru my teen years was dips and pull-ups before I got into weight lifting so pull ups has always been strong for me. I haven't considered the one arms but maybe I should. I was considering going with ring muscle ups on my next cluster
Good luck! I would be interested watching you progress!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky