GHD Training

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

GHD Training

Post by Tyr0331 »

Anyone train with a GHD consistently and how do you incorporate it into your training?

Gordion

Re: GHD Training

Post by Gordion »

If this is what I think it is, then I pretty much just use it for my plank & shank. I don't think what I have at my gym is identical to what you're talking about though.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

My GHD substitute is hamstring curl with sliders or TRX. You can progress by one leg version and/or adding some weight. Really really good exercises. Another one is glute bridge or hip thrust. I haven't done it with TB, but I've used it in a past quite a lot.

GHD itself is fancy version of roman chair and it hits your posterior chain and core depending on your position/angle/yadayada. It can be used for a finisher if you need that.

But, frankly, you can train happily without it..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Barkadion wrote:My GHD substitute is hamstring curl with sliders or TRX. You can progress by one leg version and/or adding some weight. Really really good exercises. Another one is glute bridge or hip thrust. I haven't done it with TB, but I've used it in a past quite a lot.

GHD itself is fancy version of roman chair and it hits your posterior chain and core depending on your position/angle/yadayada. It can be used for a finisher if you need that.

But, frankly, you can train happily without it..
I've had one for a while now got a good deal on a used one. Used to use it a lot with military athlete. Now I'm thinking of using it as a finisher on my strength days. I do notice a big difference in my dog fighting abilities on the ground when I use it often. But yeah I agree not a necessity

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Tyr0331 wrote:Anyone train with a GHD consistently and how do you incorporate it into your training?
I assume/think a GHD is about the same as a GHR. It can be a light day substitute for DLs, it could be used in a BW max strength cluster. Be advised it can really do a number on your hamstrings, and for me at least it is important to stretch them afterwards.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Tyr0331 wrote: I do notice a big difference in my dog fighting abilities on the ground when I use it often.
This is my favorite quote in the whole TB forum. :lol:

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Tym87 wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote: I do notice a big difference in my dog fighting abilities on the ground when I use it often.
I could see someone taking that the wrong way if they aren't familiar with grappling haha

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Tyr0331 wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
I could see someone taking that the wrong way if they aren't familiar with grappling haha
I pictured you in a cage match with a pitbull

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

This would be very personal in methodology view.

To me, there appears to be a priority list of exercises that would address one's goals. The greater the impact of those exercises to your goals, the higher it should be on your priority list.

For me, the GHD ranks pretty high up on the list, after the main compound movements. It hits the posterior chain and core really well, and can be scaled up and down pretty easily. If you need to hit your anterior stabilisers, just turn your body upside down, and hold a horizontal plank on the GHD instead of a RKC plank for the Plank & Shank. Hurts plenty. For the posterior chain / anterior stabilisers, I find it a pretty versatile piece of equipment.

That said, I would group it under accessories / assistance - but pretty high up on the ranking list. I wouldn't miss not having it, but I smile when I walk into a gym that has one.