Warm up for D/L after squats?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
PeterHealey

Warm up for D/L after squats?

Post by PeterHealey »

Hey all. Quick question; do I need to warm up for deadlifts after completing my squat and bench sets? I'm feeling already warmed up following squats but open to feedback. Thanks in advance.
Pete

Tyr0331

Re: Warm up for D/L after squats?

Post by Tyr0331 »

I'm usually warm when I get to deadlifts I always hit warmup sets before I get to my working sets as well

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I follow the same template as you. I do 3 sets of 3/1/1 reps with going up to 70% (or so) of the working weight with keeping 2min RI between warm-up sets. I might have my own OCD about warmups but I'd rather overdo it than miss it... :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

"Warming up" is really the wrong label for "warm-up" sets. Like if you ride a bike for 30 minutes and are "warm", you don't need them?

It doesn't matter how "warm" you are (or stretched out or whatever). If you are doing reasonably heavy work sets, your body needs to adjust slowly to the load for each movement. I can't imagine going straight to my work set weights in the deadlift, even after squats.

Things would not end well. :shock:

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

The question is what are you trying to achieve with the warm ups?

If you need to make sure your muscles are heated up and the blood flowing, I'm pretty sure the heavy squats takes care of that.

If you want your muscles primed for the deadlift movement, then yes. I typically do two higher rep warm up sets of an empty bar followed by 30% - 40% TM. As it has been highlighted before, it is helpful, assuming you're not excessively fatiguing yourself before your first work set.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks guys, I since found this quote from Mark Rippetoe from Starting Strength forum. It fits with what you are saying:
"If you have already squatted, the deadlift would not require a warmup for the tissue. But warmup does more than prepare the tissues -- it prepares the movement pattern. Motor pathway warmup is always necessary. I only did a couple of sets before I deadlifted at a meet, but I would NEVER have gone out on the platform with the movement pattern cold".(Mark Rippetoe)

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

PeterHealey wrote:Thanks guys, I since found this quote from Mark Rippetoe from Starting Strength forum. It fits with what you are saying:
"If you have already squatted, the deadlift would not require a warmup for the tissue. But warmup does more than prepare the tissues -- it prepares the movement pattern. Motor pathway warmup is always necessary. I only did a couple of sets before I deadlifted at a meet, but I would NEVER have gone out on the platform with the movement pattern cold".(Mark Rippetoe)
Good find.

Think of all the ligaments and tendons and muscles in your wrists, arms, chest and shoulders that are going to be highly stressed trying to pick up 300-some pounds or more off the ground. They got little or no work in the squat. They need some love before the work sets.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Agreed Wallbilly, BTW it looks like we are neighbors. I'm in Fenton MI.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

PeterHealey wrote:Agreed Wallbilly, BTW it looks like we are neighbors. I'm in Fenton MI.
Sorta' neighbors. I'm a "yooper", 502 miles away from Fenton up in Houghton, MI. :D

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

WallBilly wrote:Think of all the ligaments and tendons and muscles in your wrists, arms, chest and shoulders that are going to be highly stressed trying to pick up 300-some pounds or more off the ground. They got little or no work in the squat. They need some love before the work sets.
I can't recall where or whom I read it from, but I think it was from a calisthenics guy - think of it in terms of movement patterns, rather than specific lifts. You don't necessarily have to do warm up sets of bench presses to bench. One of the key things is that you warm up the movement pattern.

Doing a deadlift? Rack high-pulls, cleans, KB swings and snatches, standing broad jumps... these all train the hip hinge. A nice part about using explosive movements is that your nervous systems are firing harder and get excited before a heavy lift.

Benching? Explosive push-ups, wide push-ups engage muscles that do not always get roped in to work during a bench press. Lalanne push ups helps in whole body engagement.

I know this isn't what is common in what is a warm-up set, but on days when I'm feeling a little lethargic, I find that working a movement pattern, especially using an explosive movement, helps me get excited for a lift more effectively than working lower percentages of the lift itself. The biggest plus of an explosive warm-up for me is that my first set will tend to feel a little more "in the groove" for my main lifts.

YMMV.

P.S. I would say that my main take-away point is that everyone will have some approach to warming up before a lift that benefits them. However; the general consensus from anecdotal and same sample observation seems to be that not doing a warm-up set has no real negative impact; but doing a warm-up set tends to have tangible benefits towards the work sets.