Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: FAQ Call-Out!

Post by J-Madd »

TBPenguin wrote:Hey JMadd, just read the new Baker & Sullivan book. It didn't completely address me, and I'd guess a pretty large number of your target audience, despite the matching of the age. So I believe you can write something that stands apart, looking forward to seeing the table of contents.
Thanks TBPenguin. The Barbell Prescription is a great piece of work, but it has a very different intent from what I'm putting together. Baker and Sullivan provide a solid strength program for the general population over 40. My book is a guide on how to use the TB system to achieve high levels of performance across multiple fitness in middle-age and beyond.

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Can I ask what format this will be in ? . Regardless I am very interested mainly for my health and wellbeing , but chasing then having to fight with lads less than half my age isn't getting any easier :D

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:Hey JMadd, just read the new Baker & Sullivan book. It didn't completely address me, and I'd guess a pretty large number of your target audience, despite the matching of the age. So I believe you can write something that stands apart, looking forward to seeing the table of contents.
Thanks TBPenguin. The Barbell Prescription is a great piece of work, but it has a very different intent from what I'm putting together. Baker and Sullivan provide a solid strength program for the general population over 40. My book is a guide on how to use the TB system to achieve high levels of performance across multiple fitness in middle-age and beyond.
That is very interesting.. high levels of performance VS maintenance and well-being after 40s.. Goals, cost, reasons, CNS responds..

Looking forward to the book.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Hey folks, here's the table of contents for Tactical Barbell: Ageless Athlete. This is all still subject to revision, but it will give you a sense of the general direction of the book.

PART 1: POSSIBILITIES
CHAPTER 1: TEN YEARS TO MULTIDIMENSIONAL FITNESS
CHAPTER 2: PSYCHOLOGICAL PITFALLS
AGELESS ATHLETE PROFILE

PART 2: WHY YOU SHOULD TRAIN LIKE AN OPERATIONAL ATHLETE
CHAPTER 3: ACHIEVING BALANCE BY MODERATION
CHAPTER 4: THE AGELESS ATHLETE
AGELESS ATHLETE PROFILES

PART 3: STRENGTH PROGRAMMING FOR THE AGELESS ATHLETE
CHAPTER 5: HOW STRONG DO YOU NEED TO BE?
CHAPTER 6: STRENGTH TEMPLATES FOR AGELESS ATHLETES
CHAPTER 7: CLUSTERS, ACCESSORIES, AND KETTLEBELLS
CHAPTER 8: PROGRAMMING RECOVERY
CHAPTER 9: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
CHAPTER 10: TRAINING MAXES AND TESTING
CHAPTER 11: THE OLD WARHORSE TEMPLATE
CHAPTER 12: BACK “BREAK” TEMPLATES
AGELESS ATHLETE PROFILES

PART 4: CONDITIONING AND DIET FOR THE AGELESS ATHLETE
CHAPTER 13: THE AGELESS ATHLETE BASE BUILDING TEMPLATE
CHAPTER 14: TWO NOVEL BASE BUILDING APPLICATIONS
CHAPTER 15: APEX HILL SPRINTS, DUKU-DUKU, AND HIC INTENSITY
CHAPTER 16: SOME DIET STRATEGIES
AGELESS ATHLETE PROFILES

PART 5: PERSISTENCE
CHAPTER 17: DISCIPLINE
CHAPTER 18: GUARDING AGAINST DOING TOO MUCH

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Wow seems really interesting.

I think I'll read it even if I'm not 40+ yet.

Looking forward to it.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

xfitxm wrote:....even if I'm not 40+ yet.
Thanks xfitxm, I think you will find it useful. It's never too earlier to start thinking about the long haul. Hopefully, you will be 40 someday.:)

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd, a few things that I have thought of are:

-The necessity of mobility for an older athlete
-Where to be flexible (for example, some have different recovery needs and need different schedules) and where to be rigid (e.g., you must do "x" to be successful, when to push through)
-Program minimums (what is the absolute minimum needed to reach certain goals)
-How often to rotate clusters (if at all)

mikhou

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Just saw the article on the site, do you have a release date yet? I'm still in my 30s but very interested in giving this a read. Btw....outstanding before & after pics JMadd! Incredible.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Ten8 wrote:Just saw the article on the site, do you have a release date yet? I'm still in my 30s but very interested in giving this a read. Btw....outstanding before & after pics JMadd! Incredible.
Thanks 10-8! We don't have the final release date locked down yet, but it won't be more than a couple weeks. There's a few details to iron out.

Certainly the book has a lot to offer middle-aged trainees, but younger people will benefit too. It's never too early to get smart!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Here, by the way, is the link to the Ageless Athlete announcement: http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/ageless- ... comment-42