TB for a Meathead

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: TB for a Meathead

Post by Barkadion »

Corax wrote:I have the type of "suck it up and do your sets" mentality, but I know it just gets counterproductive in the long run. Listening to the body is something I'm not good at, but I'm slowly getting there ;)
It looks that we are from the same universe, mate :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Barkadion wrote:
Corax wrote:I have the type of "suck it up and do your sets" mentality, but I know it just gets counterproductive in the long run. Listening to the body is something I'm not good at, but I'm slowly getting there ;)
It looks that we are from the same universe, mate :lol:
Lol another one here ,accounts in part for the aches and pains we all have

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Corax wrote:I just completed a really bad block. I forced progression, but got sick in the beginning and grinded the last week badly. I really felt run down after the block and took a couple of weeks of (just some easy S&S sessions). I'm scaling back the weights to start my new block and would like to progress as per Maxrip13's suggestion: first block 3 sets, next block 4 sets with the same weights and finally 5 sets with the same weights. Force progression and start all over with 3 sets.

I was already planning to add some more volume but I'd like to try it this way before messing with Zulu and adding some accessories - I don't say no to some additional hypertrophy.

Questions:

1. Am I being stupid here, or does this approach has the best of both worlds? You essentially "wave" hypertrophy work (working towards 5 sets) while still training with OP and Black.
2. In the blocks with 5 sets, would it be advisable to scale down the conditioning work? Or shouldn't this be a problem, since I'm training with the same weights as in my block with 3 sets and I'm ramping up the volume steadily?
I use the above as a way to build up the volume my body can handle, really master a weight and lock it in as my new baseline. Basically that means a lifts or amount of sets I can achieve any time or any day regardless of outside contributing factors. E.g Poor sleep, Hard HIC , BJJ etc.

From my personal experience this allows me to get some good quality strength training in without ever having to train my hardest. The idea is that allows me to push my conditioning, cope with work stress and do other hobbies like BJJ, climb and surf.

I just finished an OP I/A cycle with 3 sets each training session and the plan this cycle is to push the upper body movements to 4-5 sets over the coming weeks. I force progressed my squat and kept the same weights for the pull and press as I plan to up the volume.

I also like to have a set amount of sets as a goal as I will over train if I give myself enough leeway. This stops me from causing issues with my bjj and other training.

I have a good 10 years of consistent weight training behind me and if I start working with true maxes and progressing regularly I get run down extremely quickly. Even when I test my maxes, I never do a true 1 rep max as I have a pretty good idea of what my body is capable of.

This approach works for me and has helped me enjoy some of the most consistent progress I have had in all my years of training along with implementing tactical barbell progression. Don't be in a rush and enjoy the great progress you can have on operator while also being able to have a life outside of the gym.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote:
I have a good 10 years of consistent weight training behind me and if I start working with true maxes and progressing regularly I get run down extremely quickly. Even when I test my maxes, I never do a true 1 rep max as I have a pretty good idea of what my body is capable of.
Maxrip13, how old are you? You sound like the poster boy for something I'm calling "The Veteran Warhorse Strength Plan" that will be in my TB for middle-age and beyond book. Stay tuned! I don't mean to shamelessly shill for the book (I'm quite shamefully shilling!), but it's very exciting to see people for whom some of this material might do some good.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

J-Madd wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Maxrip13, how old are you? You sound like the poster boy for something I'm calling "The Veteran Warhorse Strength Plan" that will be in my TB for middle-age and beyond book. Stay tuned! I don't mean to shamelessly shill for the book (I'm quite shamefully shilling!), but it's very exciting to see people for whom some of this material might do some good.
J-Madd, I am 24 with the body of an after 40 athlete haha. I don't know if I quite tick the middle age box, but I definitely train like I am an older athlete. I was lucky and my father got me into proper strength training for martial arts back before that was a thing.

I started with kettlebells and pavels strength programs before progressing into powerlifting. All my training was based on the big 3 and I was a regular on the old strength and power forum at Sherdog. I then trained olympic style lifting with a paralympic (Deaf) shot putter who also competed in weightlifting. My weightlifting career was cut short by a back injury that I caused by being an idiot while clean and jerking.

I then joined the army at the ripe old age of 17 and managed to balance army physical training and my love of heavy lifting. I was at a unit that liked to do some full on smash sessions and I put some decent miles on my body with well over half my body weight in a pack on a regular basis. They also loved to do a lot of miles on concrete surfaces for some reason and this caused some issues for most.I was extremely fit, but like most young people I ignored recovery and I started to accumulate at lot of wear and tear. I ended up having knee surgery and doubt it will ever fully recover.

I have know left the military and I am working as an LEO. This comes with a new set of challenges with the hardest being recovery from shift work.I have also got back into BJJ and while I am fine in the session, I am really struggling to recover the day after.

Long story short, I will definitely be interested in your book and the programs within it. I don't think that you need to be old to start training smart and with longevity in mind. Since I started following the progressions in tactical barbell I have been able to have some of the best and most consistent results I have had in years and I don't even train that hard anymore. I am meeting and exceeding previous 1RM's. I am quite proud that I train like a middle age man and I look forward to your book for some other ideas to implement in the future.

Corax

Post by Corax »

I'm "only" 32 with +10 years of training under my belt and look forward to the book J-Madd!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote: Long story short, I will definitely be interested in your book and the programs within it. I don't think that you need to be old to start training smart and with longevity in mind. Since I started following the progressions in tactical barbell I have been able to have some of the best and most consistent results I have had in years and I don't even train that hard anymore. I am meeting and exceeding previous 1RM's. I am quite proud that I train like a middle age man and I look forward to your book for some other ideas to implement in the future.
You'll definitely like the program I mention above! There're some great insight in what you say here: I think your training age is just as important (maybe more so) than your actual calendar age, and don't wait until you are wreaked to start training intelligently. You're wise beyond your 24 years! ;)