Very out of shape, looking for advice

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Ten8

Re: Very out of shape, looking for advice

Post by Ten8 »

Chris wrote:
Ten8 wrote:
Are you doing Alpha circuits? 3 x week?
Yes. I warm up with some light deads and getups and then I have a 4 exercise circuit on a MWF type schedule.
Stick with it. When you fail, rest for a bit and squeeze out another rep or three. Keep doing this until the session's over. What you might want to do is start out a little more modestly and go with 2 circuits instead of 3 for the block (this time 'round).

Chris

Post by Chris »

Ten8 wrote:
Stick with it. When you fail, rest for a bit and squeeze out another rep or three. Keep doing this until the session's over. What you might want to do is start out a little more modestly and go with 2 circuits instead of 3 for the block (this time 'round).
Thanks. I'll give that try.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I gave it a try today and it sure got me huffing and puffing. I'm glad you suggested two circuits because I don't think I had a third one in me.

My QL on the right side felt kind of tight, it's related to some back problems I've always had. I'm a little nervous about pushing too hard with lower body because the wrong muscles will try to do the work.

Here's today's workout:

Warmup
Light get ups - 5 per side

Light deads, just practicing form - 3x5

Circuit
Push-ups - 16+2, 12+3

Rows - 14+2, 10+2

Clockwork squats
w 20 pound clubbell - 30, 16

Lying leg raises - 24, 20

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Chris wrote:I gave it a try today and it sure got me huffing and puffing. I'm glad you suggested two circuits because I don't think I had a third one in me.

My QL on the right side felt kind of tight, it's related to some back problems I've always had. I'm a little nervous about pushing too hard with lower body because the wrong muscles will try to do the work.

Here's today's workout:

Warmup

Circuit
Push-ups - 16+2, 12+3

Rows - 14+2, 10+2

Clockwork squats

Which SE type are you doing? I ask because your reps don't seem to be following any pattern.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

DocOctagon wrote:
Chris wrote:I gave it a try today and it sure got me huffing and puffing. I'm glad you suggested two circuits because I don't think I had a third one in me.

Here's today's workout:

Warmup

Circuit
Push-ups - 16+2, 12+3

Rows - 14+2, 10+2

Clockwork squats

Which SE type are you doing? I ask because your reps don't seem to be following any pattern.
Glad I could help...but I'm a little puzzled as well. Unless I'm missing something these aren't alpha circuits.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Well, I'm not really able to stick to the rep guidelines that are given because of my current fitness level. My original plan was try to add 1 rep per week to my sets but it stalled. Yesterday I tried doing as much as I could, rest 10 seconds, and do a couple more. That's what I meant by like "16+2", I could do 16 reps and, after a short rest, 2 more reps.

I was advised above to stick with two circuits for now so I felt less need to pace myself. I wanted to see how much I could do if I pushed harder and I was able to do more reps on some exercises. I was kind of testing myself.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Chris wrote:Well, I'm not really able to stick to the rep guidelines that are given because of my current fitness level. My original plan was try to add 1 rep per week to my sets but it stalled. Yesterday I tried doing as much as I could, rest 10 seconds, and do a couple more. That's what I meant by like "16+2", I could do 16 reps and, after a short rest, 2 more reps.

I was advised above to stick with two circuits for now so I felt less need to pace myself. I wanted to see how much I could do if I pushed harder and I was able to do more reps on some exercises. I was kind of testing myself.
Not a good approach. You might want to reread the parts on SE in both T1 & T2. You will stall on Se, everyone does, that's the point. If you're supposed to do 10 push-ups and you fail at 7, then just rest until you can squeeze out one or two more reps and finish off the set of 10. Keep doing that for all your exercises until the entire circuit is finished. There are times when I'm doing sets of 1 during Bravo circuits. You might be able to hit your 10 on some exercises and not others, that's fine; that's how she goes. As time goes on you'll find your failure point takes longer to get to, instead of failing at 7 push-ups you'll start failing at 8, 9 and so on. I'd strongly recommend dropping all the self testing and just sticking to the program as written. Don't do more when you don't have to and don't do less when you do.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the advice. I'll go back and reread those parts.

Part of my issue is that until recently I couldn't do things like pushups due to a shoulder issue that goes back about 12 years. I'm still building confidence in being able to do pushups at all. I've hesitated to push too hard because I tend to lose proper scapula position and the wrong muscles try to start doing the work. I feel pretty good after yesterday's test though so that's encouraging.

I'll try what you suggest for the next workout. According to the schedule I should be doing 30 reps by now but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Maybe I'll shoot for sets of 20 next week and go for sets of 30 the week after?

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Chris wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'll go back and reread those parts.

Part of my issue is that until recently I couldn't do things like pushups due to a shoulder issue that goes back about 12 years. I'm still building confidence in being able to do pushups at all. I've hesitated to push too hard because I tend to lose proper scapula position and the wrong muscles try to start doing the work. I feel pretty good after yesterday's test though so that's encouraging.

I'll try what you suggest for the next workout. According to the schedule I should be doing 30 reps by now but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Maybe I'll shoot for sets of 20 next week and go for sets of 30 the week after?
When you say you're not ready for it what do you mean? That you don't think you'll be able to hit 30 reps in one go?

Chris

Post by Chris »

Ten8 wrote: When you say you're not ready for it what do you mean? That you don't think you'll be able to hit 30 reps in one go?
I can probably finish 1 set with enough (and long enough) pauses but I'm a little concerned I'll hurt myself if I exceed my shoulders weak link. I can give it a try and see how it goes.