New TB Article

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: New TB Article

Post by J-Madd »

Fobbits may indeed be the answer for everything.

I've been training BJJ x 4 each week, which has lead to some puzzles for me regarding my off the mat training. Certainly, going with Fighter is a fine idea, but recovery is a really critical factor for me and BJJ does drain the reserves. A couple days of heavy barbells might not be a good idea for me. I also want to get a good E session in at least every other week. I have been experimenting with lots of options, but I think Fobbit Interval variations are going to be a permanent part of my rotation.

Here's what I did today:

Airdyne x 3 min
WPU/20 x 3
Airdyne x 3 min
Double KB C&P/55's x 3
Airdyne x 3

I cycled through that rotation for 53 minutes. I would have jogged instead of the Airdyne, but I did something funky to my left calf while rolling yesterday. I loved this workout because it let me check the E and strength boxes in one session. It seemed a lot like a fun run with with weights. I finished both like I got some good work under my belt and refreshed.

If strength is something you want to improve or it's a high priority among your attributes, using Fobbit variations as a "main course" is probably a poor plan. For someone like me who is already OK on strength, and it's fairly low on my current lists of goals, 1-2 sessions like this each week might be all I need to do.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

I would alternate between ring pull ups and OHP or KB swings and pull ups with my fobbits and it worked great. I really love them.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Any thoughts on how Fobbit E might work for some hypertrophy or am I asking too much?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

PeterHealey wrote:Any thoughts on how Fobbit E might work for some hypertrophy or am I asking too much?
By adding volume?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

PeterHealey wrote:Any thoughts on how Fobbit E might work for some hypertrophy or am I asking too much?
The simplest way to get a more hypertrophy is to increase volume. Add a 4th or 5th set to each exercise of your regular strength template. Don't go below 4.

As far as Fobbits go, if you get a good number of sets in (5+), the hypertrophy's going to happen. In a way it's similar to the old russian bear program, you're doing high volume sets/greasing the groove, while staying fresh. You should easily be able to get 5-10 sets into a Fobbit sesh.

All of this is useless if you don't eat enough btw..

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks for the response guys I just wasn't sure if I was bastardizing the E too much. I'll give this a whirl with 70% of 1rm for sets of >5.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

DocOctagon wrote: The simplest way to get a more hypertrophy is to increase volume. Add a 4th or 5th set to each exercise of your regular strength template. Don't go below 4.

As far as Fobbits go, if you get a good number of sets in (5+), the hypertrophy's going to happen. In a way it's similar to the old russian bear program, you're doing high volume sets/greasing the groove, while staying fresh. You should easily be able to get 5-10 sets into a Fobbit sesh.

Is it unusual that I get a lot of hypertrophy from straight operator w/3 sets? Frankly I'm always surprised that some don't; heavy compound lifts 3 x week seems like a recipe for muscle mass. I'm not particularly concerned about mass one way or another these days, but I'm getting more with operator than with previous programs that were supposed to be for hypertrophy. Also, just curious, what are your thoughts on Fighter, would the 4th set work with a two day program like that if you wanted hypertrophy?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
DocOctagon wrote: The simplest way to get a more hypertrophy is to increase volume. Add a 4th or 5th set to each exercise of your regular strength template. Don't go below 4.

Is it unusual that I get a lot of hypertrophy from straight operator w/3 sets? Frankly I'm always surprised that some don't; heavy compound lifts 3 x week seems like a recipe for muscle mass. I'm not particularly concerned about mass one way or another these days, but I'm getting more with operator than with previous programs that were supposed to be for hypertrophy. Also, just curious, what are your thoughts on Fighter, would the 4th set work with a two day program like that if you wanted hypertrophy?
I don't think it's unusual at all. Diet is probably the biggest factor when it comes to muscle hypertrophy. Barring any hormonal imbalances it's pretty simple;

1. You provide the body with the appropriate signal to start growing (weight training).
2. You provide your body with the fuel to execute that signal (sufficient calories).

Operator template, even with the minimum 3 sets across the board is most definitely an adequate signal to put the body into "grow" mode.

Heavy conditioning can blunt that "grow" signal. So you have to compensate by providing your body with more fuel (eating is a "grow" signal in and of itself btw).

9 times out of 10, lack of food is the culprit for minimal hypertrophy, not any particular strength training program.

If hypertrophy is the goal, then Fighter template shouldn't be your first choice. It's like training to run a marathon by running 10Ks. It can be done, but you want something with stronger or rather more frequent signalling like Operator or Zulu. Increased frequency + volume.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Great article. I just might try this soon.
Get after it!

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »