Strongman Sandbags

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Adski

Re: Strongman Sandbags

Post by Adski »

Personally I wouldn't purchase any of those bags due to the price when it's possible to make about 6 or 7 heavy sandbags at the price it would be for one of those. This being said, they do look a bit better made than some of the other commercial bags going around.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Appreciate everyone's input.

fitnessguru

Post by fitnessguru »

I originally started my sandbag training years ago using army duffel bags - it is a great way to start and only cost $20 plus contractor bags for the interior (reduce sand dust).

However as the weights of the bag got heavier, the seams woudl eventually split so either I would have to double bag or take a new army bag to a shoe cobbler to be double stitched.

In the end it ended up being a bestter investment for me to buy the 2 ironmind bags I have - i also like their closure system.
ironmind bags have the advantage of flexibility in regard to weight - the range of sand or peagravel you can fill the bag with is broad.

the rogue bags are set - 100 lb bag can only hold 100lb of sand (you cannot use other filler material).

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

fitnessguru wrote:I originally started my sandbag training years ago using army duffel bags - it is a great way to start and only cost $20 plus contractor bags for the interior (reduce sand dust).

However as the weights of the bag got heavier, the seams woudl eventually split so either I would have to double bag or take a new army bag to a shoe cobbler to be double stitched.

In the end it ended up being a bestter investment for me to buy the 2 ironmind bags I have - i also like their closure system.
ironmind bags have the advantage of flexibility in regard to weight - the range of sand or peagravel you can fill the bag with is broad.

the rogue bags are set - 100 lb bag can only hold 100lb of sand (you cannot use other filler material).
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've used seabags enough to know that's not what I'm looking for. I might be a bit of an Anakin Skywalker here, but I don't feel like getting sand everywhere.

Fitness is my hobby. Some things I'm willing to spend a little money on, some things I'm not. I doubt I'll ever buy a Rogue power rack, but a $60 sandbag? Sure.

fitnessguru

Post by fitnessguru »

Green2Blue wrote:
fitnessguru wrote:I originally started my sandbag training years ago using army duffel bags - it is a great way to start and only cost $20 plus contractor bags for the interior (reduce sand dust).

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've used seabags enough to know that's not what I'm looking for. I might be a bit of an Anakin Skywalker here, but I don't feel like getting sand everywhere.

Fitness is my hobby. Some things I'm willing to spend a little money on, some things I'm not. I doubt I'll ever buy a Rogue power rack, but a $60 sandbag? Sure.
the rogue strongman bags can only be filled with sand - they have a zipper and velcro closure system - do not leak.

the ironmind bags - i prefer pea gravel over sand...more volume with the same amount of weight

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

fitnessguru wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:

the rogue strongman bags can only be filled with sand - they have a zipper and velcro closure system - do not leak.

the ironmind bags - i prefer pea gravel over sand...more volume with the same amount of weight
Thanks again. I think I'll start with the ironmind and go from there.

Adski

Post by Adski »

That can also depend on the Bag with regards to the seams splitting, I've only had one brand where that has happened. Another reason to use the commercial Bag however, is if that is the type of material that is being used in a competition (if anyone here is going down that road).
It also comes down to personal preference, some people like building things for various reasons, some don't. All the best.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Have any of you used atlas stones and what was your overall experience?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Tym87 wrote:Have any of you used atlas stones and what was your overall experience?
Atlas stones were my favorite event when I was a strongman competitor. It's actually quite technique heavy to use them.

The first event where I used them I loaded a 210# stone but failed on the 225# (I was competing at around 180 at the time, the next two were 265# and 300# I believe). I was pretty discouraged but then a friend of mine sold me a 220# stone to practice on. I began incorporating them into my weekly training, and in my next competition four months later I loaded a 280# stone.

The best training idea for them that I learned was from the strongman competitor Steve MacDonald. We would set up a yoke as high as we could, then load the stone over the yoke and drop it on the ground. You would then run around the yoke and load it again the other way.

The big thing is just trying to have a solid place to load them on. A 55 gallon barrel filled with sand made the best platform for me. It's a big investment but it's a lot of fun and it pays off. Just ease into it gradually - they're surprisingly tough on the biceps. Anyone who was overdone it with stones can tell you the next day the feeling you get in your biceps tendon is not a good feeling. And unless you like your arms looking like fish scales it's probably best to wear long sleeves.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
Atlas stones were my favorite event when I was a strongman competitor. It's actually quite technique heavy to use them.

That's really cool. I don't think I'm at that level yet with my deadlift being under 400#, but watching it on TV had me really wondering.