Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by J-Madd »

GiGis Daddy wrote:CHAPTER 2: PSYCHOLOGICAL PITFALLS

Just started the book last night, loving it. I read the adventures of Smitty ( Everyone else has a problem or a blessing always somebody else's character flaw) to my wife. When I started she said her Mom's name, I said hold up, I haven't gotten to the good part, so as I read she repeated the name over and over. Good to know there is an actual name for it: Fundamental attribution error and self serving bias..if there is a name there should be a cure!
Ha! Poor Smitty takes it kind of hard in AA! Sadly, there's a little bit of Smitty in all of us. ;)

J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete - Available NOW!

Post by J-Madd »

DocOctagon wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:Got my copy! Can we just take a moment to appreciate Jim's quads?
I have thought all along that the picture of my quads alone is worth the price of the book.
Between JMadd's quads and G2B's abs....we might be disproving the whole aesthetics thing
I'm teaching a course on aesthetics next semester, but I'm don't think that's quite what we have in mind here. :D

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I only just reached the Old Warhorse but so far it is excellent.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

I just finished AA. I was waiting on the iBook to be released.

There is some serious training value in this book. Obviously, it discusses training for athletes who are older (whether in terms of years or training age). But there is plenty for the general audience as well. For example, retesting maxes within blocks. The 3-1-3-1 approach. And how to effectively use KB swings. Since I started TB (specifically, post-BB), I have imagined that it might be a good idea to end my MS days with KB swings. But I didn't really understand why that would be a good thing. Much less, how to program it. Now I do.

AA is deep dive into the why and how behind the TB training system. That, to me, is its greatest value. Below are some highlights I noted as I was reading. Most, if not all, of these themes are discussed in TB and TB2. AA presents them with additional depth and perspective.

The efficacy of moderation and the "lowest effective dose"
Why is more not better? How do I know when enough is enough? You get those answers.

Necessary vs. sufficient attributes
Explains why you shouldn't overemphasize any one aspect of your training. Again, the magic is in how J-Madd explains the why and how.

More on the golden rule of rest intervals
I took this (along with the rest of the TB system) more or less on intuition, based on my own experience and training history. I enjoyed learning more about why the golden rule works, and how RIs can be manipulated if needed.

Humility for long term progress
This section steals the show. How many fitness systems use the word "humility?" In a explaining why and how training maxes work, J-Madd breaks down why humility is the basis for successful long term training. In the process, he exposes extreme - what could be called prideful - training methods for what they are: "immoderate and stupid." Love it.

Discipline
Great section. If you pay attention, you can learn why and how to break the cycle of inaction and commit to training.

With AA, Dr. Madden has taken an academic's polish to the smooth, utilitarian system set out in TB and TB2. I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand more about why and how the TB system works.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

J-Madd wrote:
I have thought all along that the picture of my quads alone is worth the price of the book.
OK, that does it. Last straw . . . camel's back . . . . the book sucks! Don't waste your money!

:lol:

Kidding. Well-written, lots of excellent tips and anecdotes. Buy it, read it.

I will be making some changes in my training after reading it, due to recommendations that just make too much sense after J-Madd points them out.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Reading it, loving it!

Up to chapter 14 right now.

I'm just about to start a new block and was thinking of replacing Deadlifts with the 100 swings. Just on that, with the 100, is this 1 or 2 handed? And I don't have access to kettelbells but I do have dumbbells and a t handle (diy version).

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:Reading it, loving it!

Up to chapter 14 right now.

I'm just about to start a new block and was thinking of replacing Deadlifts with the 100 swings. Just on that, with the 100, is this 1 or 2 handed? And I don't have access to kettelbells but I do have dumbbells and a t handle (diy version).
Thanks Adski!

You can go either 1 or 2 hands on the 100 swings. If I were you, I would load up that t-handle and go to work!

Adski

Post by Adski »

@ Jmadd, no problem, I actually have got both iPhone and kindle version, I got the kindle yesterday as I find it easier to navigate.

I ended up going with the T handle and tried my hand/s at 32.5kg. Ended up going 50/30/20......a little tight this morning after but not too bad.

Thanks again for the advice! And thanks again for putting out a well thought out book, really appreciate it. Many great ideas in there!

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

I got the kindle version last night ,just want to say thanks for writing such an informative and inspirational book

AndyGog

Post by AndyGog »

Had the Kindle version for about a week now. Only had the chance to skim read it but there's already a lot of motivation in there. Convinced me to switch to Operator I/A even though my lifts are very much at novice level. Scheduling has been an issue for me but now I'm just going to try to make sure there's 1-2 days between lifting days and not worry any more about it. I think K.B. said "Think years not months".

Thanks for taking the time to write this.