Squatting 3x/Week Easier Than 2?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Vagabond

Squatting 3x/Week Easier Than 2?

Post by Vagabond »

Anyone else find squatting 3x week easier than 2 or less?

I've tried using Fighter once or twice and squats always felt more challenging throughout the week. Not so with Operator. More recently I tried one of the "Operator Options" where you only squat twice a week, lean n mean version I think. Same thing, squats feel a little more difficult than normal.

I've found a happy medium, using the Op Option that allows for one work set on day 3.

No programming issues or anything, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Curious, because I always assumed it would work the other way around!

BlackPyjamas

Re: Squatting 3x/Week Easier Than 2?

Post by BlackPyjamas »

What conditioning protocol are you using and how much are you squatting (ballpark)?

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Not uncommon. That's the magic of greasing-the-groove. Mind you it only works if you keep things sub-maximal..I don't think it would be as effective if you tried to max out every workout :)

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

BlackPyjamas wrote:What conditioning protocol are you using and how much are you squatting (ballpark)?
Black for conditioning. Not a massive squat compared to some on this board: 1rm is 325, but that's going to change judging by how solid I'm feeling on 90% day.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Saracen wrote:Not uncommon. That's the magic of greasing-the-groove. Mind you it only works if you keep things sub-maximal..I don't think it would be as effective if you tried to max out every workout :)
Makes sense!

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I certainly think that it can be that way. I ALWAYS do better squatting more than 1x/week. And I have done 3x/week without issue. However, here is a comment that I just posted yesterday on my log.
Good session today. A comment on squats: I've done different programs before from squatting once per week via 5/3/1 to squatting 3x per week with Operator. During my BB prior to this cycle, I ran Fighter (2x/week), and I am now doing Zulu (2x/wk). This may be my sweet spot for squats. Everything just feels solid and easy. It feels like a good balance between frequency and getting enough recovery between squat sessions. If this keeps up, I might use the recent option on tb.com about squatting 2x/wk and DL'ing 1x/wk and not doing the exercises on the same day during my next Op I/A cycle. We'll see.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

mikhou wrote:I certainly think that it can be that way. I ALWAYS do better squatting more than 1x/week. And I have done 3x/week without issue. However, here is a comment that I just posted yesterday on my log.
Good session today. A comment on squats: I've done different programs before from squatting once per week via 5/3/1 to squatting 3x per week with Operator. During my BB prior to this cycle, I ran Fighter (2x/week), and I am now doing Zulu (2x/wk). This may be my sweet spot for squats. Everything just feels solid and easy. It feels like a good balance between frequency and getting enough recovery between squat sessions. If this keeps up, I might use the recent option on tb.com about squatting 2x/wk and DL'ing 1x/wk and not doing the exercises on the same day during my next Op I/A cycle. We'll see.
So your sweet spot is 2x?

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Vagabond wrote:
mikhou wrote:I certainly think that it can be that way. I ALWAYS do better squatting more than 1x/week. And I have done 3x/week without issue. However, here is a comment that I just posted yesterday on my log.
So your sweet spot is 2x?
I honestly can't definitively say at this point. I think what I am saying above is that for each person that sweet spot may be a different place, and that sweet spot may even change depending on the program. For example, I have run Op with 3 sets each session 3x/wk (9 total sets in 7 days). I have also done Op I/A on an 8-day week squatting 5 sets each session 3x/wk (15 sets over 8 days). I have also done Fighter during BB with 5 sets each session 2x/wk (10 sets over 7 days). I am now doing Zulu I/A squatting 5 sets each session 2x/wk (10 sets over 8 days). After all of that, what I can say is that 10 total sets over 7-8 days ramping up the intensity on 2 days seems to be a sweet spot for me; however, I am reserving judgment until I finish this Zulu I/A cycle.

Of course, all of this is dependent on your conditioning protocol that you run alongside of it.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I am experimenting with Mean and Lean now. Main reason is recovery after SQ and DL on the same day. Feels good so far but I do "miss" squatting 3 days/week. I am guessing there is some psychological part in it. Well, apart from obvious GTG reasoning. But i will know for sure once block is done.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

If I stick to only 3 sets of squats maximum each session I prefer to do them 3 days a week to get that volume up a bit more.

If I was doing fighter I would probably aim for 4-5 sets per session since I am squatting less.

I don't recover that well with too much volume with squats, but I do like the sub maximal frequency.

Worth mentioning is I do sit around that double bodyweight sort of squat territory as my training max. I think it comes down to what you squat and how your body responds. I struggle when I am in that 5 rep+ territory and I feel pretty beat down.When I hit that 2-3 rep
(90% +) range I feel absolutely amazing and have to try my best not to do more sets than my earlier weeks.