Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

Post by K.B. »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
then mucked around .... curling a barbell in the squat rack.
Automatic 30 day ban.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

triple wrote:There are two kinds of people:
1) people that have internalised the principles laid out in the books to such an extent that they can be creative and devise their own program
2) people that like the mentality and principles laid out in the books, but want to be told more or less exactly what to do

I would say that it takes a lot of mental effort (+ time) as well as workout experience to go from 2) to 1). This seems to be what you are arguing as well. However, not everyone is interested in becoming a 1) (i.e. their own personal trainer), at least in the short term.
Does that make sense?
Exactly, this is important. There are newcomers with zero training experience and no internal reference points. Some people need spoon feeding until it becomes unconscious competence. Not everyone has been in the game long enough to intuitively know what goes where. Things that may seem stupidly simple to us (although the Reddit does test my limits in that regard). Our members have an enormous amount of experience in a unique niche - it would be a waste not to share that with newbies.

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Well BMB I want to thank you I read through your entire post and it made realize that my biggest hindrance was my ego . I have made a few false starts to a base build and now have admitted to myself I need to take a step and find an absolutely basic program
Once I am fit enough I intend to come back to TB as the common sense approach appeals to me
Cheers mate

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

K.B. wrote:
1) people that have internalised the principles laid out in the books to such an extent that they can be creative and devise their own program
2) people that like the mentality and principles laid out in the books, but want to be told more or less exactly what to do

I would say that it takes a lot of mental effort (+ time) as well as workout experience to go from 2) to 1). This seems to be what you are arguing as well. However, not everyone is interested in becoming a 1) (i.e. their own personal trainer), at least in the short term.
Does that make sense?
Exactly, this is important. There are newcomers with zero training experience and no internal reference points. Some people need spoon feeding until it becomes unconscious competence. Not everyone has been in the game long enough to intuitively know what goes where. Things that may seem stupidly simple to us (although the Reddit does test my limits in that regard). Our members have an enormous amount of experience in a unique niche - it would be a waste not to share that with newbies.
I am enjoying this thread. I do wonder how many people actually belong in "category 1"...sufficiently competent such that designing their own programming is an objectively good option for accomplishing their goals.

I have been following structured athletic and/or operational fitness programming for many years. That's not to say I have performed at elite levels during 100% of that time. The point is, I have had competent people telling me to do X instead of Y basically my entire life. I am now at the point where, for better or worse, I have the "freedom" to train on my own.

What has that gotten me, with terms of fitness knowledge?

Strong BS detector when it comes to fitness. Particularly when someone recommends overly complicated programs and exercises. I have spent a lot of time having the hard way (and occasionally the wrong way) imposed on me. And made plenty of mistakes on my own.

Hardwired, good form for running, rucking, PT, and most weight room exercises.

Healthy sense of what I don't know and what I'm not capable of. I have witnessed many training injuries, and experienced some myself. I can instinctively tell when I am pushing too hard or something feels wrong. I have "been there before," and that takes my ego out of the equation. It doesn't hurt my pride to back off and live to train another day.

What's not on the list?

The ability to train myself. After all that, I still don't feel qualified to be my own personal trainer. I basically know what not to do. I could design a program from scratch that won't get me injured and will get me some results, particularly in the realm of PFT scores. So what?

For some reason, the realm of fitness really brings out the DIY in people. But how often is DIY the most efficient way to accomplish a task? I don't DIY fitness programming for the same reason I don't work on my own car. It's too easy to get it done better, faster by someone who knows more than me. When I say DIY, I mean really starting from scratch or close to it. I don't mean intelligently experimenting within the parameters of the TB system. I like TB because it is a closed universe of adaptable templates, clusters, conditioning sessions, etc. Tools to be used once you understand how they work.

I have trouble understanding folks who start adding to and subtracting from TB from the start. I see posts from people out there who claim to want operational fitness via TB, but in the same heartbeat they are substituting, modifying...At what point are they just hearing what they want to hear in the text, taking the system's flexibility out of context, and using TB as a stamp of approval for doing whatever they feel like doing? I don't know the answer to that. I'm always glad when I see someone logging their first block(s) by-the-numbers, making notes, showing some humility, learning, preparing.

I guess that was a long-winded way of suggesting: TB allows incredible amount of flexibility while advancing towards the goal. New guys who want/need the type of fitness TB is designed to deliver should work the system (and maybe work it again) before injecting their own good ideas.
Last edited by close_fox on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

K.B. wrote:BMB, excellent post. Couple points:

Is Tactical barbell for a newbie?
TB is not for you yet, start with something that uses a linear progression.

I almost always recommend LP for novice recreational athletes. However that's not the case for newbies getting into an operational line of work. Particularly recruits that are preparing for academy/boot/basic. These novices have to get good in several areas simultaneously as you know - and usually the highest priority domain is E/running. This is the domain that almost always needs the most work. Coming to academy/boot/basic with a mediocre 1rm isn't going to make or break - but come in with weak E/HIC and life is going to suck. Careers may depend on it. In this case it's more efficient having the newb lift TB style; sub-maximal/minimalist while simultaneously acclimatizing to high volume E/running/SE.

TB keeps the legs fresh so the weekly E volume can remain as high as it needs to be. Remember - the tactical newb has to regenerate from running and lifting and SE.

1RM strength does play an indirect role during boot/academy - so we certainly don't want to neglect it. Again,TB is more efficient than the alternatives;

1. High volume running coupled with LP that has you lifting 3xweek with load increases every single session. You certainly can grit your teeth and run LP alongside heavy conditioning (many do). But why would you when 1rm strength isn't at the top of your list at this stage of the game? After academy/basic/boot - go back to LP if it's still needed or soup up your TB template/cluster.

2. Not doing any strength training at all. Focusing only on SE/Cals/E.

If you're a tactical athlete, or even seek to train like one. It matters more that you are strong. Whether you are deadlifting an Abrams tank strong, or deadlifting an Abrams tank with someone's boots on top strong is irrelevant. If you can deadlift that Abrams tank, then strong enough is good enough.

Brilliant.

Understand that we're testing our 1RM for the express purposes of determining the working weight for the block. We're not testing our 1RM as an end-goal.

This is the mindset the true operational athlete needs to adopt. On the other hand if you're a strength-focused/recreational TB user then by all means a high 1RM can be a goal unto itself.

Do I need BB?
Yes, if your conditioning is bad, you’ll need more condition. In fact, almost everyone needs conditioning. Do BB. Better conditioning will improve everything in your life.

BB is optional for the recreational athlete. It is mandatory for operational athletes.

Is TB the same as powerlifting
No. Powerlifting focuses on getting 1RM bench press, squat and deadlifts as the end goal. KB chose the major compound lifts as the poster lifts and the fastest way to get inhuman levels of strength, and for the benefits they provide. We aim to lift heavy, but neither 1RM nor these 3 lifts are our end game.
Also powerlifting is a strength based program to focuses on monster levels of 1RM in the big 3 lifts
BIG 3 = End goal

Well put, can't be stressed enough - this is how we view strength as it applies to operational fitness. We don't give it lip service or train it in a random fashion. We measure it and progress it in a calculated manner. But it has to share the pedestal with other fitness domains.

And do you recommend Black with LP for recreational beginners?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

close_fox wrote: For some reason, the realm of fitness really brings out the DIY in people. But how often is DIY the most efficient way to accomplish a task? I don't DIY fitness programming for the same reason I don't work on my own car. It's too easy to get it done better, faster by someone who knows more than me. When I say DIY, I mean really starting from scratch or close to it. I don't mean intelligently experimenting within the parameters of the TB system. I like TB because it is a closed universe of adaptable templates, clusters, conditioning sessions, etc. Tools to be used once you understand how they work.

I have trouble understanding folks who start adding to and subtracting from TB from the start. I see posts from people out there who claim to want operational fitness via TB, but in the same heartbeat they are substituting, modifying...At what point are they just hearing what they want to hear in the text, taking the system's flexibility out of context, and using TB as a stamp of approval for doing whatever they feel like doing? I don't know the answer to that. I'm always glad when I see someone logging their first block(s) by-the-numbers, making notes, showing some humility, learning, preparing.

I guess that was a long-winded way of suggesting: TB allows incredible amount of flexibility while advancing towards the goal. New guys who want/need the type of fitness TB is designed to deliver should work the system (and maybe work it again) before injecting their own good ideas.
Couldn't agree more. Lots of gems in this post.

Great thread.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

K.B. wrote:
Blackmetalbunny wrote:
then mucked around .... curling a barbell in the squat rack.
Automatic 30 day ban.
:lol:

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

close_fox wrote:
K.B. wrote:

Does that make sense?
I am enjoying this thread. I do wonder how many people actually belong in "category 1"...sufficiently competent such that designing their own programming is an objectively good option for accomplishing their goals.

I have been following structured athletic and/or operational fitness programming for many years. That's not to say I have performed at elite levels during 100% of that time. The point is, I have had competent people telling me to do X instead of Y basically my entire life. I am now at the point where, for better or worse, I have the "freedom" to train on my own.

What has that gotten me, with terms of fitness knowledge?

Strong BS detector when it comes to fitness. Particularly when someone recommends overly complicated programs and exercises. I have spent a lot of time having the hard way (and occasionally the wrong way) imposed on me. And made plenty of mistakes on my own.

Hardwired, good form for running, rucking, PT, and most weight room exercises.

Healthy sense of what I don't know and what I'm not capable of. I have witnessed many training injuries, and experienced some myself. I can instinctively tell when I am pushing too hard or something feels wrong. I have "been there before," and that takes my ego out of the equation. It doesn't hurt my pride to back off and live to train another day.

What's not on the list?

The ability to train myself. After all that, I still don't feel qualified to be my own personal trainer. I basically know what not to do. I could design a program from scratch that won't get me injured and will get me some results, particularly in the realm of PFT scores. So what?

For some reason, the realm of fitness really brings out the DIY in people. But how often is DIY the most efficient way to accomplish a task? I don't DIY fitness programming for the same reason I don't work on my own car. It's too easy to get it done better, faster by someone who knows more than me. When I say DIY, I mean really starting from scratch or close to it. I don't mean intelligently experimenting within the parameters of the TB system. I like TB because it is a closed universe of adaptable templates, clusters, conditioning sessions, etc. Tools to be used once you understand how they work.

This has been truth for me for over a decade of training. When I deviate, problems arise. When I stick to the program as written, I make progress. Regardless of program.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Wow, so I received a lot of responses to my rant.

Some good & encouraging, some giving feedback, and some by the master himself.

I just want to highlight a few things.

Whatever KB says goes
He’s the one with the tactical experience, I’m just a desk jockey who thinks that a multi-dimensional athlete makes more sense than a strong dude who can’t walk a few blocks without gassing out.

Regarding base building
I’ve seen too many benefits from BB and pairing a sensible consistent conditioning program. I’d still encourage people to keep BB in rotation as a matter of personal experience and preference, but KB has spoken his mind so there’s your answer, recreational guys can skip BB if desired.

I’ll still like to be well conditioned to the toes, but that’s just my personal belief.

Linear Progression & Operational guys
Again KB has spoken his mind.

Don’t mind my views too much. I’m only here to straighten some confusion and commonly asked questions based on what I understand about the principles and philosophy of TB from the books. However; if what I say contradicts what KB says, then...
  1. KB is always right when it comes to Tactical Barbell
  2. If KB is wrong, GOTO rule 1.
That said, I strongly agree with using calisthenics as a jump off point if you’ve never been active in your life. I started with weights and struggled, then transitioned to calisthenics for a year. After I came back to weights, my foundation in BW movements helped my lifts significantly.

Creating your own TB programme vs following the written word
I think there are pros and cons to creating your own program or following the book. Unless you deviate significantly from the TB principles (e.g. 30 sets of ezbar curls as a main lift), who can say you are necessarily right or wrong, based on your objectives.

Make up your own mind about what you want and then go for it. Regardless of what the forum might say, if it works for you, then it works.

Afterall, who’s to say a breacher can’t have 30” arms? If it helps your job and eases what you need done, then it contributes to your objectives.

Understanding the principles of TB
As mikhou has mentioned; he likes to try the various templates and variants of TB to see what works for him, and to really learn about TB. I’m actually doing that and I’d encourage everyone to do it too.

For example, while on MASS, I realised I don’t respond well to low-rep-heavy-lifting, but the one week with higher rep counts really helped me put on some lean mass. So I adopted that into my operator template – in week 1 & 3 , I would work up to 5-8 sets of 6 on each exercise, but then in the subsequent weeks, I reverted to the Operator setXrep numbers.

Similarly; when I realised that I can still make strength progress just doing 2 MS sessions a week, I transitioned to a Fighter programme. If I have the time or inclination, I’ll do a third session, but doing less exercises etc… I’ve changed things around, but if any one of you guys were to see my training program, you should have no problem recognising it as a modified Fighter + Black template.

Is it kosher by TB principles? No
Does it work for me? Yes
Will I keep doing it? Yes

Experiment. Even if it contravenes the principles & philosophy. You only benefit:
  1. If it doesn’t work, then you have proven to yourself the basis for what KB has written and the consequences of not following it
  2. If it does work; yay, claps all around, you found out something about yourself that separates you from the rest of us. That’s what makes you different, and now you have another tool at your disposal to further your goals.
Even if your experiment ends in failure, it’ll be one block out of so many blocks. You’ll still make progress. You learn something about yourself. So long as you keep what works and toss what doesn't, you've benefited and you’re growing as a person.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. – Winston Churchill

Spoon-feeding people
I think that most people have no problems:
  • Answering questions from a newbie
  • Answering questions that aren’t obvious
  • Sharing experience
  • Critiquing a template
  • Explaining from personal experience the basis behind TB principles
  • Answering a question about a variant or different approach to the TB principles
… so long as people have made an effort.

However; asking a question that was clearly addressed in a book and / or has been addressed in the forums, just goes to show that the asker either didn’t read the book, or didn’t make an effort to even search either the forums or Reddit, and that’s why I wrote this.

Why can’t I use TB for X sport
Why can’t I use X program with TB or TBII Conditioning
Why can’t I use X exercise with the templates

Despite the existence of this FAQ, we still see these kinds of questions on the Reddit.

No one’s stopping you from using TB as a weightlifting/powerlifting/endurance program. The question that it all comes back to is “what are your goals, and is TB necessarily the most efficient approach to achieving those goals
  • If for whatever reason you find TB delivers the bacon, then use it. Otherwise, it’s time to review your program.
  • If for whatever reason you find whatever exercise gives you the desired adaptations, then use it. Otherwise, it’s time to review your cluster.

triple

Post by triple »

close_fox wrote: I am enjoying this thread. I do wonder how many people actually belong in "category 1"...sufficiently competent such that designing their own programming is an objectively good option for accomplishing their goals.

Thanks close_fox for sharing such a nuanced picture of your acquired knowledge and limitations as an experienced athlete / fitness person.

You know, it's funny. As someone that firmly falls in the category of newbie, I would put you in category 1 for what you describe as your acquired knowledge. It's all a matter of perspective and definition I guess :D . The more you know, the more you see that you don't know.
close_fox wrote: What's not on the list?

The ability to intelligently experiment within the scope of the TB system already seems like such a huge achievement to me! Modifying even the slightest thing is scary. Newbies lack all intuition about the potential implications.

For example: replacing the bench press by OHP or figuring out what to do if you miss a week of working out. If the situation is not described in the books or the forum, it is scary to make a judgement call purely on your own.

This probably sounds trivial to most of you. As KB wrote
K.B. wrote: ...
Not everyone has been in the game long enough to intuitively know what goes where. Things that may seem stupidly simple to us (although the Reddit does test my limits in that regard).