TB for a Meathead

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: TB for a Meathead

Post by TBPenguin »

Great interesting thoughts all. Thanks.

Baclava, DocO, in my 2nd ed TB Mass is with a standard cluster, not a heavy, for 4 sets each. If the original had it with a heavy cluster and that was what led to people saying it was a bit much, that makes more sense.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Couple of thoughts on Operator versions.

How about running Operator with either:

M/W/F - SQ/BP/WPU
Tu/Th - HIC
Sat - switching LSS and DL for every other week.

You keep your Saturdays short: 30min LSS or DL only day with 1-3 sets.

OR

M/W/F - SQ/BP/WPU/DL (with 1-3 once a week with no WPU)
Tu/Th - HIC
Sat - switching LSS and SE for every other week.

You create SE cluster with accessory lifts. Something like super-sets with short RI.

Thoughts?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Barkadion wrote:Couple of thoughts on Operator versions.

M/W/F - SQ/BP/WPU
Tu/Th - HIC

OR

Tu/Th - HIC

You create SE cluster with accessory lifts. Something like super-sets with short RI.

Thoughts?
Your first example seems to be moving away from "meathead" style training. You've decreased deadlift and increased cardio. I would go SQ/BP/DL for MWF. DL only 1-3 sets depending on how you feel. Drop the extra cardio and do only 2 HICs per week at the most. Use HICs with pull-ups/rows/dips or other workouts that include movements that improve on aesthetics or fill any perceived gaps.

Your second example looks good, but again if it were me I'd leave out the extra cardio (LSS) and stick to your SE. Instead of SE one could also do a more traditional bodybuilding-style day of accessory work. Curls, calves, accessory chest and back exercises etc.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Saracen wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Couple of thoughts on Operator versions.

M/W/F - SQ/BP/WPU
Tu/Th - HIC

OR

Tu/Th - HIC

Thoughts?
Your first example seems to be moving away from "meathead" style training. You've decreased deadlift and increased cardio. I would go SQ/BP/DL for MWF. DL only 1-3 sets depending on how you feel. Drop the extra cardio and do only 2 HICs per week at the most. Use HICs with pull-ups/rows/dips or other workouts that include movements that improve on aesthetics or fill any perceived gaps.

Your second example looks good, but again if it were me I'd leave out the extra cardio (LSS) and stick to your SE. Instead of SE one could also do a more traditional bodybuilding-style day of accessory work. Curls, calves, accessory chest and back exercises etc.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you.

MaxCab

Post by MaxCab »

What's everyone's thoughts on training max vs no training max for "TB for Meatheads"?

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

MaxCab wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on training max vs no training max for "TB for Meatheads"?
That is a topic we try not to broach anymore given the virulent responses in past discussions. The consenus was - do what you want, both work but may have different results and might require slightly different programming approaches.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

MaxCab wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on training max vs no training max for "TB for Meatheads"?
Here's an older quote from KB

This isn’t a hard and fast rule, but I’d recommend the trg max if you’re in one of these categories:
1. You’ve got a heavy conditioning load (like using a TB2 protocol or combat arms/grunt-military work)
2. You’re an older athlete or an athlete getting back into things after an injury/lay-off
3. You’re coming from a program with low frequency (doing each lift only once a week) –KB

Here's an even older one from KB

For your older athletes, try a recovery/easy week (or 4-5 days) after every 6 week block. The lift frequency is the key to the big strength jumps people are getting with TB, but some may take a longer time adapting to that increased frequency. Older athletes in particular.

Another thing you can do, is incorporate Jim Wendler’s Training Max concept for your older athletes, for trainees with a very high conditioning load, or for trainees not recovering fast enough for whatever reason. Instead of using a true one rep max for programming, use 90% of their true one rep max as a ‘training max’. –KB

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:
Here's an older quote from KB

This isn’t a hard and fast rule, but I’d recommend the trg max if you’re in one of these categories:
1. You’ve got a heavy conditioning load (like using a TB2 protocol or combat arms/grunt-military work)
2. You’re an older athlete or an athlete getting back into things after an injury/lay-off
3. You’re coming from a program with low frequency (doing each lift only once a week) –KB

Here's an even older one from KB

For your older athletes, try a recovery/easy week (or 4-5 days) after every 6 week block. The lift frequency is the key to the big strength jumps people are getting with TB, but some may take a longer time adapting to that increased frequency. Older athletes in particular.

Another thing you can do, is incorporate Jim Wendler’s Training Max concept for your older athletes, for trainees with a very high conditioning load, or for trainees not recovering fast enough for whatever reason. Instead of using a true one rep max for programming, use 90% of their true one rep max as a ‘training max’. –KB
Thank you! I don't know why did I miss that one?... I need to re-read the book :)

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:
Thank you! I don't know why did I miss that one?... I need to re-read the book :)
They weren't from the book. I just copy-paste some of the informative posts that are made into a file. Those could have come from the reddit board or from KB's website.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
They weren't from the book. I just copy-paste some of the informative posts that are made into a file. Those could have come from the reddit board or from KB's website.
Thank you. Maybe.. You can post the file under "Archive" board?