12 mile (20km) Adventure Race

MxS/SE/HIC/E
liamsoane

Re: 12 mile (20km) Adventure Race

Post by liamsoane »

TangoZero wrote:
liamsoane wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:Long fun runs are pretty much golden for OCRs in my opinion. Rope climbs or towel pull-ups as a finisher on your strength days would even things out nicely and get you ready for the ropes.
Yes i'm still torn between have 3 MS days with SE finishers or having 2 MS days a specific day for SE and grip strength. Im thinking about trying a month of each then using my preferred method for the final month. Any experience on this?
If you're interested in being somewhat competitive I would without a doubt stick to the Bangkok set-up. 12 miles is a long enough distance to prioritize your E work until the race is over imo. If it was just 5 or 6 miles then I'd say it wouldn't matter, either 2 or 3 days MS would work.

If you go with Bangkok, not only will you have an entire session to dedicate to SE, but you can implement a mini SE circuit after your Fighter/MS sessions. By mini I mean just a 2 or 3 exercise cluster used as a finisher. Following the weekly SE progression. It can be as simple as push-ups and sit-ups, or even burpees and swings. So you'de get SE 3 x week like this:

Fighter #1: BP/SQ. Finisher: push-ups/chins 3 x 10
Fighter # 2:BP/SQ. Finisher: push-ups/chins 3 x 10
SE Day: push-ups/chins/air squats/swings......etc
That's very good advice, thank you. I will incorporate SE finishers with my MS days and have a session dedicated to SE. I will alternate between your suggestions, one day finish with push-ups/chins and the other day with KB swings and burpees.

liamsoane

Post by liamsoane »

K.B. wrote:In addition to all the great advice here: Fun-Runs, Fun-Runs, Fun-Runs.
Get creative, use KB or weight-vest FRs, mix it up with bodyweight/burpees and practice going the distance. Good luck and keep us posted!
Yes I've started utilising 2 fun runs a week, loving them so far. They are perfect for my intended purpose. Thank you K.B.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Great answer by TangoZero.

OldManAsh

Post by OldManAsh »

I've started training for a Spartan trifecta (super and sprint in Aug, beast in Sept), and the suggestions in this thread are gold.

I do wonder, where would one draw the line between fun runs and fobbits? One of my suggested E sessions is 15% incline treadmill at aerobic pace with alternating burpees or pull-ups every 3 minutes. Is there a major fundamental difference between the energy systems worked in that vs say a 10k fun run with burpees/squats/pushups every few minutes?

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

OldManAsh wrote:I've started training for a Spartan trifecta (super and sprint in Aug, beast in Sept), and the suggestions in this thread are gold.

I do wonder, where would one draw the line between fun runs and fobbits? One of my suggested E sessions is 15% incline treadmill at aerobic pace with alternating burpees or pull-ups every 3 minutes. Is there a major fundamental difference between the energy systems worked in that vs say a 10k fun run with burpees/squats/pushups every few minutes?
In theory they should produce the same result but in real life that's rarely the case. Running on the ground always provides a better outcome than getting your miles in on the treadmill.