Indoor Cardio Options

MxS/SE/HIC/E
nathan.smetzer

Indoor Cardio Options

Post by nathan.smetzer »

Hello All,

So I am in a conundrum where I need to find a way to do the LSS cardio indoors without any machines (no treadmill, no rower...etc). The Customs and Border Protection does a 5 minute step-test as a physical fitness requirement prior to entry. I wonder if this is one option to perform low intensity cardio for the 20 minute duration during inclement weather? And what would I do if the workout calls for 6 x 400m runs and I cannot get outside to run? Is jump rope a viable substitute? I just don't want to do something that will waste my time or not have at least a moderate carry-over to running.

ectional

Re: Indoor Cardio Options

Post by ectional »

Wait, I didn't catch why can't you go outdoors?

nathan.smetzer

Post by nathan.smetzer »

When it thunderstorms, I choose to stay inside.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Step-ups, shadow boxing, ups/downs, easy stairs walking should do.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

ectional

Post by ectional »

Do the storms get so bad that it's dangerous outside? Otherwise I'd say just suck it up. You'll dry off again.

nathan.smetzer

Post by nathan.smetzer »

Rain isn't the issue, I am not going to be stupid and try to run outside in a thunderstorm.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Understand that none of these indoor suggestions are going to be as good as running outside on the ground. The law of specificity is strong when it comes to running.

I'm assuming it's not going to thunderstorm every night so as long as you can get the bulk of your running outside you'll be fine subbing in the occasional indoor E.

If the majority of your E sessions are going to be inside, then don't expect magnificent results come test day and you have to run outside. That's the cold hard reality of it. It comes down to how important this job is to you, if it's important enough you'll do what needs to be done regardless of thunderstorms or rain.

With that out of the way; you can shadow box, do Triples (get creative, jumping jacks, step ups, jump rope).

Basically you can do anything you want as long as your heart rate stays within the prescribed range.