Operator and A+A Snatches

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Hellequin

Re: Operator and A+A Snatches

Post by Hellequin »

Some time has passed now and I wanted to come back with a report what I have done until now.

I started with A+A snatches right after writing in here. I started with the 20kg KB and fixed my technique.
Since then I have progressed to sessions with the 32kg. It's another animal to do 100-200 snatches per session with the 32kg.
As Oscar stated before, it is strength training. But it's also a kind of conditioning. I think that's the great benefit from it. It makes you strong, enduring and resilient. I tested different things like easy strength and different pressing and squatting programs. I added conditioning from TB2 and other stuff but finally I have my conclusion what works best for me:

--------------

- 3x per week A+A Snatches with waved volume and load. For example: T1 26x5 @32kg, T2 38x5 @28kg, T3 22x5 @24kg. Depending on shifts, time and feeling.

- 2-3x per week deadlift singles (https://www.strongfirst.com/qd-minimalist-deadlifts/) directly after snatching.

- After deadlifts I add some pull ups (TB OP style) and some other stuff like ab roll outs and some carries. I go easy and try to feel my body with it.

- 2x per week easy E session. I think running is the best investment. So 30-60min easy runs with low HR.

- 1x per week hill sprints, apex hills, sessions from TB2.
-----------------

There are weeks with a lot going on. In those weeks, my minimum to do are the snatches. Everything else is built around them and I have to say I feel good. I lost about 3 kg during the summer and my body composition is now better.

The best thing is: I am almost never burned out. I finish sessions easy and even look forward to the next one.

There is a new book from Pavel: The Quick and the Dead. I now rotate A+A snatches with Q&D snatches/ pushup-swings every 6 weeks. Q&D allows you a little bit more volume with your barbell strength training or/and conditioning. It's very powerful but not as heavy as A+A.

If there are any questions, just let me know.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Hellequin wrote:Some time has passed now and I wanted to come back with a report what I have done until now.

I started with A+A snatches right after writing in here. I started with the 20kg KB and fixed my technique.
Since then I have progressed to sessions with the 32kg. It's another animal to do 100-200 snatches per session with the 32kg.
As Oscar stated before, it is strength training. But it's also a kind of conditioning. I think that's the great benefit from it. It makes you strong, enduring and resilient. I tested different things like easy strength and different pressing and squatting programs. I added conditioning from TB2 and other stuff but finally I have my conclusion what works best for me:

--------------

- 3x per week A+A Snatches with waved volume and load. For example: T1 26x5 @32kg, T2 38x5 @28kg, T3 22x5 @24kg. Depending on shifts, time and feeling.

- 2-3x per week deadlift singles (https://www.strongfirst.com/qd-minimalist-deadlifts/) directly after snatching.

- After deadlifts I add some pull ups (TB OP style) and some other stuff like ab roll outs and some carries. I go easy and try to feel my body with it.

- 2x per week easy E session. I think running is the best investment. So 30-60min easy runs with low HR.

-----------------

There are weeks with a lot going on. In those weeks, my minimum to do are the snatches. Everything else is built around them and I have to say I feel good. I lost about 3 kg during the summer and my body composition is now better.

The best thing is: I am almost never burned out. I finish sessions easy and even look forward to the next one.

There is a new book from Pavel: The Quick and the Dead. I now rotate A+A snatches with Q&D snatches/ pushup-swings every 6 weeks. Q&D allows you a little bit more volume with your barbell strength training or/and conditioning. It's very powerful but not as heavy as A+A.

How have you found Q&D?

I’m currently using it once per week as an individual session (trialing it) with fighter template, and have been curious to see other people’s take on it.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Just finished Q&D this morning. I don’t know what I think of it but I haven’t given the program a try yet.

I was going through my log and remembered how much success I had with S&S for my basebuilding and realised I am due a break from barbell work soon.

I am thinking of giving one of these a revisit but not sure what yet.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Adski wrote:
Hellequin wrote:Some time has passed now and I wanted to come back with a report what I have done until now.

--------------

-----------------

How have you found Q&D?

I’m currently using it once per week as an individual session (trialing it) with fighter template, and have been curious to see other people’s take on it.
I started Q&D this week. Snatches with the 24 kg. I'll report back after a block.

So far I like the sessions. Very short, ideal as I have a one week old daughter. I'm doing push ups throughout the day to complement it.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Oscar wrote:
Adski wrote:

--------------

-----------------

How have you found Q&D?

I started Q&D this week. Snatches with the 24 kg. I'll report back after a block.

So far I like the sessions. Very short, ideal as I have a one week old daughter. I'm doing push ups throughout the day to complement it.
Keen to see how you go.

After I finish my current block I was considering using Q&D for a block, with some conditioning/core and grip tacked on.

So you’re running it as a stand alone for now? Not a bad idea keeping it minimal with a little one running around :)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

--------------

-----------------

I was reading through the links posted earlier RE: A&A snatches and just wanted to clarify exactly how you have used them.

So basically you just do a set of heavy snatches and rest until recovered and do another set alternating sides.Repeat until you start to feel a drop off in recovery and explosiveness? Seems to be the goal is to aim for 10 +sets and build up to high volume sessions and slowly build up weight.

1 hr seems to be the cut off for total session time. The idea seems to be to slowly up the volume and decrease rest intervals naturally and not train to intensely.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Adski wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Adski wrote:
How have you found Q&D?

Keen to see how you go.

After I finish my current block I was considering using Q&D for a block, with some conditioning/core and grip tacked on.

So you’re running it as a stand alone for now? Not a bad idea keeping it minimal with a little one running around :)
Yes, I'm running it alone. So it's only 15 minutes per session in average, 3 times a week.

The only thing I'm adding is push ups throughout the day. I do a total of about 250% of my RM in 4 to 9 sets, every day.

Its as minimal as it gets, very useful these days that I dont have time and dont sleep much with 2 babies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Maxrip, A+A programs typically consist in 20 to 40 sets of 5 reps. Weight is pretty heavy: about 10 RM, most used bells are between 28 and 40 kg for snatches. The uncommon thing is that rest is very generous, between 1.5 and 2.5 minutes or so. You have to be fully recovered from the previous set.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Oscar wrote:
Adski wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Keen to see how you go.

Yes, I'm running it alone. So it's only 15 minutes per session in average, 3 times a week.

The only thing I'm adding is push ups throughout the day. I do a total of about 250% of my RM in 4 to 9 sets, every day.

Its as minimal as it gets, very useful these days that I dont have time and dont sleep much with 2 babies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Maxrip, A+A programs typically consist in 20 to 40 sets of 5 reps. Weight is pretty heavy: about 10 RM, most used bells are between 28 and 40 kg for snatches. The uncommon thing is that rest is very generous, between 1.5 and 2.5 minutes or so. You have to be fully recovered from the previous set.
Thanks for the response mate. I like the idea of using it for a basebuild paired with LSS work.

I have an 8 month old myself and my training time has definitely dropped back, but luckily he is a great sleeper. My sleep has actually improved.

I had success with setting aside time to train 2x a week for BJJ. I now do my Strength work before class. Between shift work and the little fella I have to set these training days in stone or life gets in the way. I have a decent home gym, but found I was always getting interrupted for something. If I am out at the gym that is my time and it's harder for something to pop up.

Then I just have to get a run or two in through the week and I am good training wise.

Glad to hear you found something that is working well for you.