Working sets

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Re: Working sets

Post by Tyr0331 »

I've experimented with concentric/eccentric lifting before. Might try it when I'm done with BB and jump in to operator.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Tyr0331 wrote:I've experimented with concentric/eccentric lifting before. Might try it when I'm done with BB and jump in to operator.
This is not your first time on Operator, is it?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

You also might consider doing a set of Squats then rest your 2-5min and then do a set of WPU rest 2-5min and then back to the squats.[/quote]

Changing to this is the best thing I ever did. I get a full 5 + mins of rest between specific exercises.
My workout looks like this,
Warmup ( Bw squats, pushups, pullups, mobility)

Squat (2 min rest)
Benchpress (2 Min rest)
Pullup (2 min rest )
Repeat x 3-5

Finisher involving load carries/core work (eg Farmers walks, waiter walks circuit.)

In and out in barely 30 mins because I have maximized my time. I also do some specific mobility in my rest periods to prepare for the next exercise, but thats what works for me.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:I've experimented with concentric/eccentric lifting before. Might try it when I'm done with BB and jump in to operator.
This is not your first time on Operator, is it?
Yeah this is my first time on TB programming. I've been following military athlete for a few years.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Maxrip13 wrote:You also might consider doing a set of Squats then rest your 2-5min and then do a set of WPU rest 2-5min and then back to the squats.

Changing to this is the best thing I ever did. I get a full 5 + mins of rest between specific exercises.

Squat (2 min rest)
Benchpress (2 Min rest)
Pullup (2 min rest )
Repeat x 3-5

Finisher involving load carries/core work (eg Farmers walks, waiter walks circuit.)

In and out in barely 30 mins because I have maximized my time. I also do some specific mobility in my rest periods to prepare for the next exercise, but thats what works for me.
30 min would be great I struggle to get out before an hour.
Last edited by Tyr0331 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:You also might consider doing a set of Squats then rest your 2-5min and then do a set of WPU rest 2-5min and then back to the squats.

Squat (2 min rest)
Benchpress (2 Min rest)
Pullup (2 min rest )
Repeat x 3-5

30 min would be great I struggle to get out before an hour.[/quote]

I am super-setting SQ and WPU now. It works out great. I am thinking to make some changes in my basement to be able to super-set all 3 movements. This sequence is superb by both: recovery and progressing.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Let me know how all three workout for you

MuftiMike

Post by MuftiMike »

Barkadion wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:

Squat (2 min rest)
Benchpress (2 Min rest)
Pullup (2 min rest )
Repeat x 3-5

I am super-setting SQ and WPU now. It works out great. I am thinking to make some changes in my basement to be able to super-set all 3 movements. This sequence is superb by both: recovery and progressing.[/quote]

What do you mean by superset? As in you don't rest at all in between sets of WPU and SQ?

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Tyr0331 wrote:Yeah this is my first time on TB programming. I've been following military athlete for a few years.
Well, I don't know your grip strength, but I would suggest making one change at a time, at least that way, you'd be able to know what solved the problem.

Try to use Operator or Zulu for a few blocks without changing the rep scheme (obviously correct for your miscalculated max). Once you know how Operator feels like on a training max, then you can try different rep tempos, supersetting etc - all these tools won't magically disappear overnight. However; you will need to establish a baseline, and figure out what works (or doesn't) as they are, otherwise; if you make a dozen and one changes, how will you know what solved the problem and what didn't?

Also, as it has been highlighted before, TB requires a slight change in mental perceptions of a workout. I now think of my strength days at the gym as my fun and laid-back days, but HIC, SE, E and Power days as the days to go full-tilt and wreck myself. I believe that for most people; it is the reverse.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Tyr0331 wrote:

Squat (2 min rest)
Benchpress (2 Min rest)
Pullup (2 min rest )
Repeat x 3-5

I just recently swapped back to tactical barbell from another Military/Leo program and I am loving the short but effective strength workouts so far.
I just do the minimum 3 sets and rest for 2 min after each exercise.

A total of 6 min of rest per round =18 mins of resting.
1 min per exercise x 3 (each round)= 9 mins total.
I just start at the weight I am doing for the session. The regular lifting means I don't need to ramp up to my working weight.

Throw in a hard fast bodyweight squats, pushups , pullups type circuit warmup for as many rounds in 3 mins, I just do 3-5.

30 mins and you are out of the gym.

I usually finish up with a quick 5-10 min finisher but the option is there to be done in 30 mins.