Overhead Press Max

MxS/SE/HIC/E
grouchyjarhead

Re: Overhead Press Max

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Switch to weighted chin-ups for a bit. Similar effect, more biceps emphasis. Martin Rooney is a big fan of them and always tells his guys to focus more on those than curls for arm development.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

This topic is just screaming "OHP Challenge Thread.. Who reaches BW# First"

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Switch to weighted chin-ups for a bit. Similar effect, more biceps emphasis. Martin Rooney is a big fan of them and always tells his guys to focus more on those than curls for arm development.
I've found that slow negative or paused chin-ups (underhand grip) blow up my arms like nothing else.

Shivayan

Post by Shivayan »

J-Madd wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:Switch to weighted chin-ups for a bit. Similar effect, more biceps emphasis. Martin Rooney is a big fan of them and always tells his guys to focus more on those than curls for arm development.
I've found that slow negative or paused chin-ups (underhand grip) blow up my arms like nothing else.
Have you tried neutral grip chins?
"Trample the weak, hurdle the dead."
-Attila the Hun.

Corax

Post by Corax »

For what it's worth, I'm doing an OP cluster without OHP right now. Thought it would make my overhead press weak as hell. I tested my max a while ago for shits and giggles and it didn't go down at all. I'm still able to press my best max without even training it, I was VERY surprised.

lennarn

Post by lennarn »

J-Madd wrote: Do you have weighted pull-ups in your cluster? I've found that they don't hurt a guy's command presence. ;)
100% agree.
On topic: I would like to press 225 and really prefer it over bp. Current 1rm about 135. Will probably focus on it in a later cycle.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Shivayan wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Have you tried neutral grip chins?
I only have straight pull-up bars at my home game, so I only use different grips when traveling. That's all about to change, as I'm waiting for a multi-grip pull-up bar I ordered last week to arrive!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I had a decent press back in the day (mostly push, but I could strict press more than my bodyweight so I was doing something right) and there were three things that helped my strict press the most.

(1) Push Presses/Jerks - Mostly the former, but I found when my push press went up my strict press wasn't far behind. Cycling between the two might be wise.
(2) Bradford Presses - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6XoIXGmDI Definitely more of a bodybuilding movement, but it helps hit the major sticking point for most people which is about eye/forehead level.
(3) Lockouts - Using a power rack, set it up to my sticking point and press from there.

TB-application wise - Rotating push presses and strict presses would probably work well, and maybe some supplementary work with Bradford presses if needed. They would be good for a SE routine but I wouldn't make them a main lift.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I had a decent press back in the day (mostly push, but I could strict press more than my bodyweight so I was doing something right) and there were three things that helped my strict press the most.

(1) Push Presses/Jerks - Mostly the former, but I found when my push press went up my strict press wasn't far behind. Cycling between the two might be wise.
(2) Bradford Presses - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6XoIXGmDI Definitely more of a bodybuilding movement, but it helps hit the major sticking point for most people which is about eye/forehead level.
(3) Lockouts - Using a power rack, set it up to my sticking point and press from there.

TB-application wise - Rotating push presses and strict presses would probably work well, and maybe some supplementary work with Bradford presses if needed. They would be good for a SE routine but I wouldn't make them a main lift.
Thank you. I have never heard of Bradford press.. Interesting.. looks like a good call for DB..

What is your opinion on Z-press? Seated on the floor variation of OHP?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I had a decent press back in the day (mostly push, but I could strict press more than my bodyweight so I was doing something right) and there were three things that helped my strict press the most.

Great tips. I could see using strict OHP in an Operator template, and then when you hit a tough plateau using a couple blocks of push presses to overload and break the plateau. Hell, that might become my plan for the winter.