Training Max *again*

MxS/SE/HIC/E
lennarn

Re: Training Max *again*

Post by lennarn »

I think a TM becomes more important as you start getting strong enough to move really heavy weights. That's just a guess though, since I'm not strong (yet). :)

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

There is no right answer for each individual, but this is my preferred method...

Start with a training max, 90 or 95% of tested max, then use continual forced progression in small increments. And only progress if you absolutely nailed every single rep for that block. It may take a few blocks but sooner or later your "training max" will surpass your previous true max. Slow and steady wins the race.

If you're a newer lifter and you are gaining large amounts of strength each block then retesting makes sense, but eventually your strength improvements begin to slow. As someone with slow strengh improvements I find retesting to be psychologically stressful. I think psychological stress in regards to your training can actually have a negative impact on your training itself. That's one of the magical things about TB. With TB every time I walk into the gym I know I can hit every one of my lifts that day.

I still occasionally test my 1rm for fun, but I don't let it affect my training max. Tested maxes can be very fickle depending on rest, nutrition, hydration, stress, focus, etc. for that day.

Just my take on it.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Mystery solved, it was a bad (overestimated) 1 rep max from test day.

I took people's advice and finished out the block (well, after this week it will be finished.)

This morning was day 1 of the 95% week using 1RM (not TM) for the first time for me. No problem with squat or overhead press. But on the bench I was only able to bang out 3 singles. A double was out of the question. So my real 1 rep max was what I did today, not what the spreadsheet said.

Root of the problem was on test day, I settled for a number based on 5 reps. I realize that those equations to estimate 1RM from more reps get less and less accurate as the number of reps goes up, and this is probably very dependent on the individual. For me, the equation overestimated my bench 1RM by probably 10 pounds.

Next time, if I'm able to bang out 5 on test day, I'll rest and put more weight on the bar.

Thanks for all the feedback.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

I promise this will be my last attempt to beat a dead horse . . . . . ;)

Over in the "TB for women thread", b00tler posted this:
b00tler wrote: . . . . I have run Fighter both with and without training max and when I did not use the training max, I was unable to complete all the reps in the heaviest weeks.
One aspect of the training max that may be underestimated is this: If you are using a training max, the ability to complete the heavy weeks is a lot less sensitive to having your 1RM exactly right. You have more wiggle-room.

I was whining about missing my bench reps in Week 3 (90%) of Operator, while not using a training max for the first time. After lots of fiddling around, I convinced myself that my 1RM from test day was 10 pounds higher than my real ability to do 1 rep. As mentioned above, I was only able to get singles in the 95% Week 6 on the first day.

Yesterday morning, I re-adjusted my 1RM down by 10 pounds, re-calculated, and was able to get my 3 sets of 2 reps without using the training max.

If I was using the training max this block instead of true 1RM, the weight in Week 6 would have been lower than both my original on Monday, and my adjusted on Wednesday, and I would not have missed a single rep in Week 3 or Week 6. Just like for the last 56 weeks, duh!

Add this to the list of reasons "why might you want to use a Training Max?" It's much more forgiving of a bad 1RM estimate.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Green2Blue wrote: If you're a newer lifter and you are gaining large amounts of strength each block then retesting makes sense, but eventually your strength improvements begin to slow. As someone with slow strengh improvements I find retesting to be psychologically stressful. I think psychological stress in regards to your training can actually have a negative impact on your training itself. That's one of the magical things about TB. With TB every time I walk into the gym I know I can hit every one of my lifts that day.
This is a very insightful set of remarks! Learning to de-stress my training, and to lower the psychological stakes in any one session, has been one of the keys for may continued progress. Very well said Green2Black!

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Honestly I think retesting should have a very short shelf-life. Beginners only, for a few blocks to take advantage of "newbie gains" when the big jumps come easy. Then just force progression. I think retesting is almost detrimental for intermediate/advanced lifters.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

DocOctagon wrote:Honestly I think retesting should have a very short shelf-life. Beginners only, for a few blocks to take advantage of "newbie gains" when the big jumps come easy. Then just force progression. I think retesting is almost detrimental for intermediate/advanced lifters.
And when someone switch cluster? Ex: replace bench by OHP, should it be retested or should the last training max be used?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

xfitxm wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:Honestly I think retesting should have a very short shelf-life. Beginners only, for a few blocks to take advantage of "newbie gains" when the big jumps come easy. Then just force progression. I think retesting is almost detrimental for intermediate/advanced lifters.
And when someone switch cluster? Ex: replace bench by OHP, should it be retested or should the last training max be used?

Retesting when changing clusters is fine and makes sense.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Here's a little something I did to set my training max for a coming block that I'll start next week. I was a little unsure of how I set my SQ t-max (I haven't been under the bar seriously since May), and for various reasons I didn't want to do a test this week. Last night I had a really excellent (though super taxing) BJJ session followed by a pretty bad night's sleep. The result is that I started today feeling pretty shitty, and not feeling the love for a workout. Nevertheless, I went to the gym over my lunch break, and worked up to a triple with the 90% based on my t-max I was planning on for the squat. Even though I am not Super-Jim today, I still hit a crisp triple at 90%. Now I know that I can cover the numbers in this block, even on an off day.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:Here's a little something I did to set my training max for a coming block that I'll start next week. I was a little unsure of how I set my SQ t-max (I haven't been under the bar seriously since May), and for various reasons I didn't want to do a test this week. Last night I had a really excellent (though super taxing) BJJ session followed by a pretty bad night's sleep. The result is that I started today feeling pretty shitty, and not feeling the love for a workout. Nevertheless, I went to the gym over my lunch break, and worked up to a triple with the 90% based on my t-max I was planning on for the squat. Even though I am not Super-Jim today, I still hit a crisp triple at 90%. Now I know that I can cover the numbers in this block, even on an off day.
I've used to go by 80% of previous 1RM without retesting after few weeks off in the past. It never failed for me. Nice way to slide back to training...

What have you decided for the coming block? OP or ZULU?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky