New Wendler 5/3/1 program

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: New Wendler 5/3/1 program

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:This is standard later Wendler fare, which means it's pretty awesome. Keep in mind that this is a get "swole" mass gain program. If you don't eat like you have a death wish, you are going to crash and burn on this program. It's a really great throw-back to Golden Era bodybuilding programs -- think John McCallum. If you want to get really big (and strong along the way) this is a great program.

That being said, for my money this program doesn't fit in to the scheme for an operational athlete. If you did this, your lifting will be a jealous mistress. You'er going to be sore. You will put a lot of time in the gym. He has you condition, but the conditioning is not an equal partner with the lifting. If you are a guy who needs to keep his weight down for physical standards, needs to be able to operator physically at work (even on 20 rep squat day) or in the ring/on the mat, and needs/wants to meet running standards this would not be a good way to go.
If you cut the accessories off as being optional per Wndler.. you get close to TB Mass template. So, it is not too far away for TB as it might look.. Plus you can always get creative and play with the lifts volume vs conditioning.. imho.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:This is standard later Wendler fare, which means it's pretty awesome. Keep in mind that this is a get "swole" mass gain program. If you don't eat like you have a death wish, you are going to crash and burn on this program. It's a really great throw-back to Golden Era bodybuilding programs -- think John McCallum. If you want to get really big (and strong along the way) this is a great program.

That being said, for my money this program doesn't fit in to the scheme for an operational athlete. If you did this, your lifting will be a jealous mistress. You'er going to be sore. You will put a lot of time in the gym. He has you condition, but the conditioning is not an equal partner with the lifting. If you are a guy who needs to keep his weight down for physical standards, needs to be able to operator physically at work (even on 20 rep squat day) or in the ring/on the mat, and needs/wants to meet running standards this would not be a good way to go.
If you cut the accessories off as being optional per Wndler.. you get close to TB Mass template. So, it is not too far away for TB as it might look.. Plus you can always get creative and play with the lifts volume vs conditioning.. imho.
You would probably need to get rid of the 20-rep squats, if you wanted to say "functional" for other activities.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

You would probably need to get rid of the 20-rep squats, if you wanted to say "functional" for other activities.
True. I've done that in the past. My only activity after that was being flat on the floor :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
True. I've done that in the past. My only activity after that was being flat on the floor :lol:
The day my twins were born in 2004, I finished a six-week 20 rep squat program. It was unclear who needed to be helped up the stairs at the hospital, my wife or me!

grumpy4669

Post by grumpy4669 »

There is NOTHING about 20 rep squats appealing to me!

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

I think many and many guys did this program with great success. But it's definitely not fitting to our needs ins here. Still, great program.

Adski

Post by Adski »

If you don’t need conditioning for other things, (to tie in with what other have stated) then this could work well. If your work or sport requires good general movement, technical or otherwise, I probably wouldn’t recommend it. If sizing on is the goal however, this will fit that bill pretty well. Though I would suggest a slightly different meal plan from a decent nutrition point of view.