Some base building questions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Maxrip13

Re: Some base building questions

Post by Maxrip13 »

yeah, first time I met my uncle at like 11 he was pretty high up in the tankies and he asked what I wanted to do. Being a naive kid at the time of course it was "I want to be a sniper!". "No you don't, you don't want to sit in a tree for three days shitting yourself or spend a day crawling through a field of mud while pissing your pants".....Yeah, that pulled me up pretty quickly :lol:

Unfortunately my application has taken nearly two years at this point, spent about 6 months working my ass off to afford some dental work, spent three months getting dicked around by doctors who wouldn't do the referrals requested and then I'm on my third enlistment coordinator at the moment as my first one wasn't doing anything for anyone, second one was the area manager and just disappeared and I have only just heard from the third after about three months of silence. From the sounds of it they have gutted recruiting in Perth and started from scratch :roll: I've passed all my medicals etc. and was told that there are 27 spots this financial year but 100% of them will be female, first shot for a male will potentially be next financial year, good ole quotas and all that, sigh. I was going to take another spot in a combat branch and just sell a corps transfer hard but at this point I'll be setting myself back 12+ months so may as well wait, bank some money and work on my fitness.

Edit: Just looked up the PESA, 5km march in 55 minutes in basic kit, 150m farmers walks with 2x 22kg jerry cans and a box lift of 25kg to 1.5m.....
You'd think the military would be kinda immune to all the OH&S etc. and have reasonably high standards compared to civvie street, ya know being expected to go into combat at any time etc. :cry: Oh well, just going to have to smoke it all and make it look easy :lol:
Thank god you had an intelligent uncle. I was going in through the direct entry commando scheme and found out I was colour blind at the last hurdle. I went from 30+ jobs to 6. I was then told to take an Op sup position and transfer to medics at kapooka. I went through with a platoon of 25 people who wanted to be medics. 2 got to stay and all through rest were made to transfer to trucks or op sup. This will make sense later.

To top it off I got retested and my colour perception is so mild it's no issue. I could have had the career I actually wanted if they had done the test correctly.

I made the most of a bad situation and lined myself up with some really good postings and left as a fully qualed SGT. I left with a pretty beaten up body because alot of officers in support units are wannabe SF and upset where they ended up.

The Pesa is a step in the right direction IMO. It is just hard enough to weed out the completely useless people in the job and while it might seem easy in the cool of Melbourne, the heat can really change things up in a place like Darwin.The infantry one catches up with you a bit with the fire and movement drills after the heavier pack march. I used to look at those tests as something I could do after my own training in the morning and then I knew my work capacity was good. OH&S is huge in the army, but only applies when they want it to. It's part of why I left haha.

Just as a heads up you are going to brisbane, nt, adelaide or townsville. There is no chance you are going west for years.
I probably sound negative, but I did enjoy my time in the army. I just like it better in my current career choice much more :D

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Aelian wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote: let's just say I was lied to and got stuck in a job that I wasn;t really interested in. Don't believe them if they say you can transfer at kapooka, go in with the course you actually want to do.

Enjoy Albury for 18 months and try to move off base ASAP, but not with a local girl. Some are nice, but issues will arise because you are going North regardless. Don't drink away all your pay either haha.
Hahahaha...nice to see the army is the army regardless of country.
Haha of course. In australia we get paid pretty bloody well though.I can see why people don't ever leave.

It's a numbers factory. get you in and burn you out. Then it's time for the next guy to be recruited.

I did have some good times, I just didn't have the career I wanted.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I probably sound negative, but I did enjoy my time in the army. I just like it better in my current career choice much more :D
That remains me.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuTS_WNw5w
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Crepsucule

Post by Crepsucule »

Maxrip13 wrote: I made the most of a bad situation and lined myself up with some really good postings and left as a fully qualed SGT. I left with a pretty beaten up body because alot of officers in support units are wannabe SF and upset where they ended up.

The Pesa is a step in the right direction IMO. It is just hard enough to weed out the completely useless people in the job and while it might seem easy in the cool of Melbourne, the heat can really change things up in a place like Darwin.The infantry one catches up with you a bit with the fire and movement drills after the heavier pack march. I used to look at those tests as something I could do after my own training in the morning and then I knew my work capacity was good. OH&S is huge in the army, but only applies when they want it to. It's part of why I left haha.

Just as a heads up you are going to brisbane, nt, adelaide or townsville. There is no chance you are going west for years.
I probably sound negative, but I did enjoy my time in the army. I just like it better in my current career choice much more :D
Yeah, pretty much the quals while I'm in if I decide its not long term. It is, but its so basic.... I understand that maybe 1/10 people will ever hit a "combat" zone and the reality is its more a government funded job than actual warriors but the reality of the job is that is SHTF its down to the military to deal with it, Id hope that the people who arent likely to ever have to fire a shot in anger know well before it actually happens and have their shit squared away so they can if the time arises.

Yeah, I was born in Vic, grew up in Tas and now in WA for work, so where I end up doesnt phase me, free travel :P

Any advice for injuries during BB? I just did a number on my ankle yesterday after two E sessions so I have a few days I can programme around but I reckon it will be 3-4+ days before I can do a run on it without too much risk.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Yeah, pretty much the quals while I'm in if I decide its not long term. It is, but its so basic.... I understand that maybe 1/10 people will ever hit a "combat" zone and the reality is its more a government funded job than actual warriors but the reality of the job is that is SHTF its down to the military to deal with it, Id hope that the people who arent likely to ever have to fire a shot in anger know well before it actually happens and have their shit squared away so they can if the time arises.
Yeah good you leave with the paramedicine diploma and can work for private ambulance. It gives you a year or so of your paramedicine degree.

You would also be surprised. For 90% of people the training gets your head around the fact you need to be prepared to go to combat. As a medic, the idea is that you just patch people up anyway. Technically you are kinda a non combatant and are there just to help people anyway.

Any advice for injuries during BB? I just did a number on my ankle yesterday after two E sessions so I have a few days I can programme around but I reckon it will be 3-4+ days before I can do a run on it without too much risk.
I like to run trails because it slows me down and makes me focus on running technique a bit more. If you rolled your ankle on uneven ground that doesn't help much haha. You have a long time and mentioned droppping weight also, so I would just sub in swimming and cycling occasionally for lower impact until the weight drops off. I just do something llike that everytime any injuries flair up in BB.

I actually just run on rolled ankles and simila,but I used to have a lot of issues with them. I made them super strong and they recover extremely quick. Being in WA, you should get out and do some barefoot dune run for foot strengthening.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I probably sound negative, but I did enjoy my time in the army. I just like it better in my current career choice much more :D
That remains me.... ;)

Luckily I didn't cop much of that outside kapooka haha. I just stand there and say nothing but 1 word answers with a sir on the end. It gives them nothing to work with haha

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
That remains me.... ;)

Luckily I didn't cop much of that outside kapooka haha. I just stand there and say nothing but 1 word answers with a sir on the end. It gives them nothing to work with haha
That is wise, mate. It can be applied to the life in general :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky