Sandbag Training

MxS/SE/HIC/E
grouchyjarhead

Re: Sandbag Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

travman wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote: Essentially a nice full body core exercise. Got introduced to it by reading some of Pat McNamara's works, looking forward to giving it a go.
I was wondering if someone else in the TB community was aware of Pat McNamara's content. I hope to do some of his core stuff once I get more space.
TB actually falls in line with many aspects of McNamara's train of thought. Whereas workouts like many popular Crossfit WODs are outcome-based ("will I succeed or will I fail?"), TB is more performance-based (improving the individual parts of the whole for better overall performance). TB is scaled so you're not doing high impact workouts constantly, therefore improving your longevity. Most TB sessions tend to be time efficient and focused on compound movements which is what he aims for as well. His Combat Strength Training (CST) sessions are similar to TB's SE circuits as well.

TB is more efficient though in my opinion (albeit inexperienced with CST) as it has ways of tracking your performance as you improve, is periodized so it is better planned and not just going on a whim (which is fine for mature lifters but beginners not so much), and has dedicated endurance sessions which will bring about bigger benefits than just frequent METCON work with no steady state aerobic training.

What we can learn from CST is to keep our efforts performance-based (use introspection and self-critique to focus on the task at hand and how to improve it), add in dedicated work on the transverse plane, and staying flexible with our workout planning and performance to adjust our training around our life (not adjust our life around our training).

b00tler

Post by b00tler »

On iOS & Android, the “Brute Force” app presents WODS geared around Sandbags with a few body weight exercises. Nice suggestions (and animated gifs) of different exercises you can do with them.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Can anybody here recommend a solid and relatively affordable company that makes sandbags for fitness? Also which weight one should start with?
Get after it!

Adski

Post by Adski »

nickgoldma wrote:Can anybody here recommend a solid and relatively affordable company that makes sandbags for fitness? Also which weight one should start with?
I’m still yet to find any company that makes good commercial sandbags that aren’t overpriced. Iron edge had some for a while (AU), unsure if they still make them though. DIY is still tough to beat (Duffel bag, laced with tyre inner tubes filled with sand).

As for starting out, it depends on what you’re looking to do with the bag as well as your own experience/strengths etc.

rs12

Post by rs12 »

nickgoldma wrote:Can anybody here recommend a solid and relatively affordable company that makes sandbags for fitness? Also which weight one should start with?
I like my Ironmind "tough as nails" sandbag. It was $60 delivered from Amazon. It is very tough, can hold up to 300 lbs of sand, and comes with a book of exercises. It doesn't have any handles though, it's just a big bag. It really works the grip. I recommend it highly.

As far as weight that depends on what you're doing with it. Since its adjustable start at a relatively easy weight and add sand until it is heavy enough for you.
Last edited by rs12 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:
I’m still yet to find any company that makes good commercial sandbags that aren’t overpriced. Iron edge had some for a while (AU), unsure if they still make them though. DIY is still tough to beat (Duffel bag, laced with tyre inner tubes filled with sand).

As for starting out, it depends on what you’re looking to do with the bag as well as your own experience/strengths etc.
Ironmind makes great sandbags. Hands down.

https://www.amazon.com/IronMind-Tough-A ... nd+sandbag
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

rs12 wrote:
I like my Ironmind "tough as nails" sandbag. It was $60 delivered from Amazon. It is very tough, can hold up to 200 lbs of sand, and comes with a book of exercises. It doesn't have any handles though, it's just a big bag. It really works the grip. I recommend it highly.

As far as weight that depends on what you're doing with it. Since its adjustable start at a relatively easy weight and add sand until it is heavy enough for you.
I guess you beat me on this one mate.. Just noticed your comment after posting mine :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Adski

Post by Adski »

rs12 wrote:
I like my Ironmind "tough as nails" sandbag. It was $60 delivered from Amazon. It is very tough, can hold up to 300 lbs of sand, and comes with a book of exercises. It doesn't have any handles though, it's just a big bag. It really works the grip. I recommend it highly.

That’s a fantastic option! I’d still reccomend using something as a filler bag (inner tubes etc) to make weight adjustments. It’s good to see that there are options out there, I noticed that it has a protection plan option which I assume is like s warranty. The only other reason i would suggest the duffle/sea Bag is just based on having a bunch of them with 0 breaks in the bags over the last 6 years, ranging from 50-90 something kg (200lb ish), so in terms of my own experience with them, they’re pretty inexpensive and durable.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/navy-sea-bag

I will say that warranty is tough to beat, and would be worth consideration.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

My Iron Mind bag is great. I have it loaded to 200 lbs. They are the best bang for your buck that I’ve found.

That being said, Iron Mind sandbags are very difficult to pick up compared to something like Rogue. I used a 200 lb Rogue bag in my comp. It was much easier to pick up because the material has more give. The Iron Mind material has less give and it’s harder to get a grip on.

That being said, I’ll probably still stick with Iron Mind. I just ordered a small sized bag from their website for my wife.

travman

Post by travman »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
travman wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote: Essentially a nice full body core exercise. Got introduced to it by reading some of Pat McNamara's works, looking forward to giving it a go.
I was wondering if someone else in the TB community was aware of Pat McNamara's content. I hope to do some of his core stuff once I get more space.
TB actually falls in line with many aspects of McNamara's train of thought. Whereas workouts like many popular Crossfit WODs are outcome-based ("will I succeed or will I fail?"), TB is more performance-based (improving the individual parts of the whole for better overall performance). TB is scaled so you're not doing high impact workouts constantly, therefore improving your longevity. Most TB sessions tend to be time efficient and focused on compound movements which is what he aims for as well. His Combat Strength Training (CST) sessions are similar to TB's SE circuits as well.

TB is more efficient though in my opinion (albeit inexperienced with CST) as it has ways of tracking your performance as you improve, is periodized so it is better planned and not just going on a whim (which is fine for mature lifters but beginners not so much), and has dedicated endurance sessions which will bring about bigger benefits than just frequent METCON work with no steady state aerobic training.

What we can learn from CST is to keep our efforts performance-based (use introspection and self-critique to focus on the task at hand and how to improve it), add in dedicated work on the transverse plane, and staying flexible with our workout planning and performance to adjust our training around our life (not adjust our life around our training).
Very well put. I have not read CST. AA is my next fitness related book I need to read. I think CST and TB have a lot in common. I am not as well versed in training methodologies (I don't know what to call it.) I do like that CST is focused on performance-based and flexible. I like his core exercises and approach to working the different plans of motion. Also his attitude on training is simple: Training should be to save your life, someone else's life, or kicking someone's ass.