TB for a Meathead

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Corax

Re: TB for a Meathead

Post by Corax »

I just completed a really bad block. I forced progression, but got sick in the beginning and grinded the last week badly. I really felt run down after the block and took a couple of weeks of (just some easy S&S sessions). I'm scaling back the weights to start my new block and would like to progress as per Maxrip13's suggestion: first block 3 sets, next block 4 sets with the same weights and finally 5 sets with the same weights. Force progression and start all over with 3 sets.

I was already planning to add some more volume but I'd like to try it this way before messing with Zulu and adding some accessories - I don't say no to some additional hypertrophy.

Questions:

1. Am I being stupid here, or does this approach has the best of both worlds? You essentially "wave" hypertrophy work (working towards 5 sets) while still training with OP and Black.
2. In the blocks with 5 sets, would it be advisable to scale down the conditioning work? Or shouldn't this be a problem, since I'm training with the same weights as in my block with 3 sets and I'm ramping up the volume steadily?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Corax wrote:I just completed a really bad block. I forced progression, but got sick in the beginning and grinded the last week badly. I really felt run down after the block and took a couple of weeks of (just some easy S&S sessions). I'm scaling back the weights to start my new block and would like to progress as per Maxrip13's suggestion: first block 3 sets, next block 4 sets with the same weights and finally 5 sets with the same weights. Force progression and start all over with 3 sets.

I was already planning to add some more volume but I'd like to try it this way before messing with Zulu and adding some accessories - I don't say no to some additional hypertrophy.

Questions:

1. Am I being stupid here, or does this approach has the best of both worlds? You essentially "wave" hypertrophy work (working towards 5 sets) while still training with OP and Black.
2. In the blocks with 5 sets, would it be advisable to scale down the conditioning work? Or shouldn't this be a problem, since I'm training with the same weights as in my block with 3 sets and I'm ramping up the volume steadily?
I've just completed OP block with following set scheme: 5/5/4-3, 5/4/3. I was able to hit all my numbers, but I didn't feel "owning the weight". I also had some personal issues during the block. I was sick for the first 3 weeks, my lack of sleep really hit me, and I had some extra family activities. So, my recover went south. I kept my regular schedule for HIC 2/week and 30min E for every other week. What I might done wrong is using forced progression form my previous block and keeping 5 sets scheme.

Now.. I am repeating the block with the same numbers. Not sure how to play with the sets since I'm at max sets by the regular OP... I might just run the same scheme with the hope that I can get my recovery back this time around..

Another thought is to drop the DL (I did once/week 3 sets with 3/2/1 reps) and to stick with SQ/BP/WPU + swings.

Just my personal 2c experience.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Corax

Post by Corax »

Yes, that's why I would scale back to 3 sets. If I would force progression and keep doing 5 sets, I know for sure I'd burn out. Probably real quick:)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Corax wrote:Yes, that's why I would scale back to 3 sets. If I would force progression and keep doing 5 sets, I know for sure I'd burn out. Probably real quick:)
I see.. Not sure if I need to scale back now, though.. Since I did get the block done.. But in the future - yes, lesson learned.

- GO BACK TO 3 sets with forced progression, Bark!!!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Corax wrote:

I think this is worthy approach. In fact, I'm including something somewhat similar in the TB I'm finishing up right now.

To err on the safe side, don't plan your 5x5 block for a time when you are going to need to emphasis conditioning, e.g. leading up to a PFT or a 10K race, etc. That being said, I suspect that by the time you get to that third block, you will be dominating those weights and it won't be an issue at all for your conditioning.

Corax

Post by Corax »

J-Madd wrote:
Corax wrote:

I think this is worthy approach. In fact, I'm including something somewhat similar in the TB I'm finishing up right now.

To err on the safe side, don't plan your 5x5 block for a time when you are going to need to emphasis conditioning, e.g. leading up to a PFT or a 10K race, etc. That being said, I suspect that by the time you get to that third block, you will be dominating those weights and it won't be an issue at all for your conditioning.
Great, thanks. And that's exactly what I had in mind - the fact that, hopefully - I would be playing with the weights by the third block and nail the conditioning too.

Corax

Post by Corax »

Barkadion wrote:
Corax wrote:Yes, that's why I would scale back to 3 sets. If I would force progression and keep doing 5 sets, I know for sure I'd burn out. Probably real quick:)
I see.. Not sure if I need to scale back now, though.. Since I did get the block done.. But in the future - yes, lesson learned.

- GO BACK TO 3 sets with forced progression, Bark!!!
I'm just speaking personally, but I know I'd run into trouble doing that. You may recover better or have more experience. Lots of variables. I just try and listen to the body. And it said dude, you forced progression too early;)

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Corax wrote:first block 3 sets, next block 4 sets with the same weights and finally 5 sets with the same weights. Force progression and start all over with 3 sets.

My .02

I definitely think you're on the right track by not forcing progression. Stick to the same weights, slowly increase # of sets and allow yourself to grow into it a little more.

Something to think about; rather than give yourself a set-in-stone # of sets per block, you might want to wave up and down depending on how you feel during any given session. If you have it in you, then hit 5 sets. If you don't, then stick to the 3. Similar to Op I/A. Your conditioning might give you issues if you force yourself to go 5 sets every time.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aelian wrote:rather than give yourself a set-in-stone # of sets per block, you might want to wave up and down depending on how you feel during any given session. If you have it in you, then hit 5 sets. If you don't, then stick to the 3. Similar to Op I/A. Your conditioning might give you issues if you force yourself to go 5 sets every time.
Something I need to learn.. Thanks!

Corax

Post by Corax »

Aelian wrote:
Corax wrote:first block 3 sets, next block 4 sets with the same weights and finally 5 sets with the same weights. Force progression and start all over with 3 sets.

My .02

I definitely think you're on the right track by not forcing progression. Stick to the same weights, slowly increase # of sets and allow yourself to grow into it a little more.

Something to think about; rather than give yourself a set-in-stone # of sets per block, you might want to wave up and down depending on how you feel during any given session. If you have it in you, then hit 5 sets. If you don't, then stick to the 3. Similar to Op I/A. Your conditioning might give you issues if you force yourself to go 5 sets every time.
Good advice, thanks. I have the type of "suck it up and do your sets" mentality, but I know it just gets counterproductive in the long run. Listening to the body is something I'm not good at, but I'm slowly getting there ;)