Overtraining syndrome.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
PeterHealey

Re: Overtraining syndrome.

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks for the excellent feedback/advice. Blackmetalbunny alluded to 'accumulated fatigue' which intuitively fits more appropriately with my issue. I came off an Ultra Marathon training schedule of up to 70 miles week last summer, ran 65 miles of an Ultra, went straight into a 5x5 lifting program which I consequently hit a wall on before my introduction to TB late fall. Didn't take much of a break. There is built in recovery in the TB program that I had underestimated. So moving forward....
Plan:
Stick with Op/black for 1 year (my initial commitment)
Take 1 week off.
Use a training max moving forward.
Adhere more concretely to the 'easy' conditioning weeks as prescribed.
Reset my use of coffee 1st thing in the morning.
Work more on mobility (Romwod), foam roll and take advantage of my wife's massage skills.
Eat appropriately..1gram protein per lb body weight, good carbs, increase greens to alkalize my body.

I'll implement this plan and give a brief update down the line. I appreciate the time you guys put into your responses.

Jefferson

Re: Overtraining syndrome.

Post by Jefferson »

Dude you ran a fucking ultra!? I Still maintain you're not a victim of "overtraining syndrome", because you were able to not die doing 5x5. But after an ultra I'd take plenty of time off. Be active, but don't try and progress in lifts and cardio respiratory ability. Time off is often the best way to move forward stronger. Sounds like your head is in the right place, and when you really get into the groove of leaving gas in the tank after every workout things become much more fun - at least for me.
PeterHealey wrote:Thanks for the excellent feedback/advice. Blackmetalbunny alluded to 'accumulated fatigue' which intuitively fits more appropriately with my issue. I came off an Ultra Marathon training schedule of up to 70 miles week last summer, ran 65 miles of an Ultra, went straight into a 5x5 lifting program which I consequently hit a wall on before my introduction to TB late fall. Didn't take much of a break. There is built in recovery in the TB program that I had underestimated. So moving forward....
Plan:
Stick with Op/black for 1 year (my initial commitment)
Take 1 week off.
Use a training max moving forward.
Adhere more concretely to the 'easy' conditioning weeks as prescribed.
Reset my use of coffee 1st thing in the morning.
Work more on mobility (Romwod), foam roll and take advantage of my wife's massage skills.
Eat appropriately..1gram protein per lb body weight, good carbs, increase greens to alkalize my body.

I'll implement this plan and give a brief update down the line. I appreciate the time you guys put into your responses.