Training Max: Seeing a Pattern

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Training Max: Seeing a Pattern

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote: Basically, this is a variation of what KB suggested in "After 40 Club" thread.. 3weeks push/1week off blocks. Frequent breathers trough the sweat.
Exactly! Three on -- one "off" -- three on made so much sense to me, that when KB recommended it was one of those "How could I have been so stupid as not to think of that?" moments. (I had a similar experience when he suggesting coupling hill sprints and swings.) I think it's also important to see that "off" doesn't mean completely sedentary -- you can do some other sorts of work, just keep it on a very short lease.

Think of how effective a great many people found Wendler's original 531, which was a 3 weeks on - one off arrangement.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

J-Madd wrote:
If you are freezing a little fried from pushing the intensity on your lifts in your 90% week, you might think about taking a deload week, even if you are only just finished Operator Week 3.
Thanks man, that's the plan, but life gets in the way. I just finished week 6. In 3 weeks I have to spend a week in Portugal at a conference (how I'll survive that, I have no idea ;) )

So I'm going to repeat weeks 4 and 5 of Op (with training max applied) and then take the week of October 11 off. Probably try to find a hill or two in Portugal to grease the groove.

If I take next week off, I'll miss 2 of 3 weeks of strength training.

Life . . . .

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

J-Madd wrote:
WallBilly wrote:
Barkadion wrote:My body is pissed at me. Very, very pissed at me.

Back to the training max!
If you are freezing a little fried from pushing the intensity on your lifts in your 90% week, you might think about taking a deload week, even if you are only just finished Operator Week 3. I just did something like this, and it was just what the doctor ordered:

Sunday: Off
Monday: GC (e.g., Brig Rat) or Tango SE (all bodyweight and/or light KBs)
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Off
Friday: Grip (e.g, Progressive Grip Circuit) or core (e.g., Full Core)
Saturday: Off

That still keeps you active, you can work on some other attributes, but there is still plenty of rest and recharge. I'm starting to incorporate these planned recharge weeks into my blocks.
This is an excellent idea - making it an 'odds & ends' week.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Just want to add, it doesn't have to be 3 on 1 off. Depending on circumstances it can be 6 off 1 off as well, and a mix of the two over the training year. Sometimes 3/1, sometimes 6/1.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

WallBilly wrote:
J-Madd wrote: In 3 weeks I have to spend a week in Portugal at a conference (how I'll survive that, I have no idea ;) )
I predict a week in Portugal lounging by the ocean will do you more good than a week of GC sessions. ;)

I have a colleague who just moved here to rural Kansas from Lisbon. I'm keeping on an eye on him, because that seems to be to be the action of a truly crazy person.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

This is fun, thanks guys.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote: Basically, this is a variation of what KB suggested in "After 40 Club" thread.. 3weeks push/1week off blocks. Frequent breathers trough the sweat.
Exactly! Three on -- one "off" -- three on made so much sense to me, that when KB recommended it was one of those "How could I have been so stupid as not to think of that?" moments. (I had a similar experience when he suggesting coupling hill sprints and swings.) I think it's also important to see that "off" doesn't mean completely sedentary -- you can do some other sorts of work, just keep it on a very short lease.

Think of how effective a great many people found Wendler's original 531, which was a 3 weeks on - one off arrangement.
Awesome! Or just mobility and walking :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:Just want to add, it doesn't have to be 3 on 1 off. Depending on circumstances it can be 6 off 1 off as well, and a mix of the two over the training year. Sometimes 3/1, sometimes 6/1.
"Off-to-regulation" :D

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
If you are freezing a little fried from pushing the intensity on your lifts in your 90% week, you might think about taking a deload week, even if you are only just finished Operator Week 3.
Thanks man, that's the plan, but life gets in the way. I just finished week 6. In 3 weeks I have to spend a week in Portugal at a conference (how I'll survive that, I have no idea ;) )

So I'm going to repeat weeks 4 and 5 of Op (with training max applied) and then take the week of October 11 off. Probably try to find a hill or two in Portugal to grease the groove.

If I take next week off, I'll miss 2 of 3 weeks of strength training.

Life . . . .
Go easy on Portugal wine ;)

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

I don't have anything against using a true max per se. But I look at it like this:

Training Max:
Pros - makes workouts manageable, no missed reps or sets, makes weights + cardio infinitely more manageable, leads to progress in true 1rms over time.

Cons - feel like a fancy-boy in the gym with less on the bar. Hurts the ego. Maybe less effective with a low frequency strength program where the trainee's #1 priority is strength enhancement. Increased overall weekly stress on the body & systems.

True Max:
Pros - seeing the numbers on paper make me feel good. Bigger wheels on the bar. Me feel more good.
Cons - leads to much quicker plateaus, missed reps. Might be difficult for older athletes to use in conjunction with a moderate-intense conditioning program.

Does it have it's place. Yes, I think so. Ironically, I think using a true max with a program like 5/3/1 is the better route to take. 5/3/1 is what I consider a low frequency program...the major lifts are hit once a week for a handful of sets. If you stayed within the training max zone, you simply wouldn't be lifting frequently enough to justify the lighter weight. The workload and stimulus is significantly diminished.