What advice would you give a rank novice?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: What advice would you give a rank novice?

Post by J-Madd »

Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I can't argue against Starting Strength. Only a fool would!

This summer, however, I started my own son on Greyskull LP. It's very close to SS, but there is a rep max aspect too. Think of a Wendler-Ripp bastard child. I like the rep max for newbie "skinny bastards" as a way of catalyzing some much needed hypertrophy. I wouldn't turn a teenager loose with a license to go for broke, but if you can watch the them closely and help them to know when to pull the plug, I think this is a good tool to use.
But did you make your son do Base building from TB( SE first) before putting him on Greyskull LP?

I have got hold of both Greyskull LP and SS book
and after reading your post I'm thinking of doing Greyskull lp but I'm confused if I should do Base building before the linear programs as many legends on this site have advised me for it .

Lastly which is better Greyskull or SS before I eventually move onto TB operator ?
I would definitely start with a standard base building block as writing in TB2 (unless you are on the older side, then do the base build from AA). I like the rep max aspect for Greyskull, for beginners and while the weights are still relatively light. At the end of the day, for me it depends on how much of a beginner you are. I went with an LP program for my son, because I had no way of determining an accurate max for him to start Operator. You can't have rank newbie max out, because he'll get killed doing so and his max will improve after working on technique for fifteen minutes. The problem with newbies is the their maxes are such moving targets that it's hard to do a periodized program. That's why I like LP for complete novices. If you are completely new, and you have some decent sense of your maxes, then I would just go with Operator.

Ibrahimovic105

Re: What advice would you give a rank novice?

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

J-Madd wrote:
Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I can't argue against Starting Strength. Only a fool would!

This summer, however, I started my own son on Greyskull LP. It's very close to SS, but there is a rep max aspect too. Think of a Wendler-Ripp bastard child. I like the rep max for newbie "skinny bastards" as a way of catalyzing some much needed hypertrophy. I wouldn't turn a teenager loose with a license to go for broke, but if you can watch the them closely and help them to know when to pull the plug, I think this is a good tool to use.
But did you make your son do Base building from TB( SE first) before putting him on Greyskull LP?

I have got hold of both Greyskull LP and SS book
and after reading your post I'm thinking of doing Greyskull lp but I'm confused if I should do Base building before the linear programs as many legends on this site have advised me for it .

Lastly which is better Greyskull or SS before I eventually move onto TB operator ?
I would definitely start with a standard base building block as writing in TB2 (unless you are on the older side, then do the base build from AA). I like the rep max aspect for Greyskull, for beginners and while the weights are still relatively light. At the end of the day, for me it depends on how much of a beginner you are. I went with an LP program for my son, because I had no way of determining an accurate max for him to start Operator. You can't have rank newbie max out, because he'll get killed doing so and his max will improve after working on technique for fifteen minutes. The problem with newbies is the their maxes are such moving targets that it's hard to do a periodized program. That's why I like LP for complete novices. If you are completely new, and you have some decent sense of your maxes, then I would just go with Operator.
I am 20yo (defn not on the other side ).It'd be better if I work on improving my form and technique working out linearly using Greyskull.Thanks for replying Gridiron man .
☮️ out