After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Moz69

Re: After 40 club

Post by Moz69 »

Barkadion wrote:
Moz69 wrote: Apologies Bark. FP floor press and it should be FS front squat.

The reason for Zulu I just feel after reading this post and retreading TB that this would be more suited to my current lifestyle demands ability to recover send to taking a hit and feel the twice a week woukd be more beneficial to this. I'm currently balancing studies and pulling in night shifts and at 46 finding it a balancing act.

I like the idea of going in doing a good warm up then the strength work and tie it in with hic or HC at the end and should be able to get 4 of these in a week with training and still have 3 days off

Currently loving the movements as well as gc bag work etc and want to run with that and see where it goes.

hope that makes sense, typing this in from my phone so apologies if the reply is a bit disjointed but I think you get the just.
Makes perfect sense! Thank you for replying.

Good luck to you and please share your experience!

Just wondering if I should use my gym rings for pulls ups instead of the bar
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Moz69 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Moz69 wrote: Apologies Bark. FP floor press and it should be FS front squat.

The reason for Zulu I just feel after reading this post and retreading TB that this would be more suited to my current lifestyle demands ability to recover send to taking a hit and feel the twice a week woukd be more beneficial to this. I'm currently balancing studies and pulling in night shifts and at 46 finding it a balancing act.

I like the idea of going in doing a good warm up then the strength work and tie it in with hic or HC at the end and should be able to get 4 of these in a week with training and still have 3 days off

Currently loving the movements as well as gc bag work etc and want to run with that and see where it goes.

hope that makes sense, typing this in from my phone so apologies if the reply is a bit disjointed but I think you get the just.
Makes perfect sense! Thank you for replying.

Good luck to you and please share your experience!

Just wondering if I should use my gym rings for pulls ups instead of the bar
I would prefer parallel or angled grip for chin-ups. For shoulder, elbow, and scapula sake. Personally, I rotate grips now and then.

Not every pull-up bar has that option. Rings will give you flexibility with your grip for either pull-ups or chin-ups. As well as core stabilization. Ring pull-ups are not the easiest variations but certainly great one. Might take some time to get the movement down, though. Unless you are comfy with it already.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Moz, while I've read good things about using the rings, never had a chance myself so I can't give you an informed answer. The one thing I'd say though is whatever grip you use, ease into it and see how the joints respond. We're all a little different and I've seen guys irritate shoulders or elbows with grips that didn't fit them, even though they are fine for others. Of course this applies to benching too, but with chin-ups there is no empty bar.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:but with chin-ups there is no empty bar.
That is a great line! :D

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Barkadion wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:but with chin-ups there is no empty bar.
That is a great line! :D

plus 1 on that
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

TBPenguin wrote:Moz, while I've read good things about using the rings, never had a chance myself so I can't give you an informed answer. The one thing I'd say though is whatever grip you use, ease into it and see how the joints respond. We're all a little different and I've seen guys irritate shoulders or elbows with grips that didn't fit them, even though they are fine for others. Of course this applies to benching too, but with chin-ups there is no empty bar.

well did them today TB and it was one of those dam why hadn't I been doing these before moments, see how it goes over the following months, thanks for the input

Mike Prevost

Post by Mike Prevost »

49 years old here. Still able to get it done... Some of my thoughts below from my blog:

I have been working out in gyms since 1983.  In that 30+ year period I have made a pretty consistent observation.  Young guys tend to heave heavy weights with questionable form but the worst offenders in terms of poor movement are the old guys.  They may not be lifting heavy, but they are moving poorly with light weights!  The most common problem is performing half reps or worse.  Full range of motion is rare.  Of course there are exceptions but the exceptions are .....well....exceptional.  Young people move well.  They can scoop things up off the floor, roll and pop back up with no issues.  They can run, jump, do cartwheels and climb trees.  They can move freely.  We lose some of that as we age.  By the time we hit our prime (20s - 30s), we have lost some of that movement ability but have gained strength.  This is probably the leading cause of recreational sports injuries.  20 and 30 somethings are strong enough but don't move as well as they did 10 years ago, so they get injured.  Most middle aged guys are losing both movement competency and strength.  Old guys have lost a considerable amount of both qualities.  The loss can be enough to seriously impair quality of life.  For an old guy, movement competency simply must be addressed.  It makes sense to work on mobility and movement competency throughout your lifespan.

Young guys can sprinkle in some mobility and movement competency as part of strength training program.

Middle aged guys can sprinkle in some strength training as part of a mobility and movement competency training program.  See the difference?

For old guys, mobility and movement competency is the strength training program!  For an old guy, getting up off the floor, or getting out of a chair with no hands can be very effective strength training.  How about loaded carries?  For old guys this means full range of motion exercises.  Preserving the ability to move the joints through a full range of motion, pain free, is the ultimate goal.  You will never get there by half repping!   As a trainer working with older clients you need to constantly ask yourself, "How can I restore strength and mobility through a full range of motion?"  You are not going to get there with machines and half reps.  You might start there but the goal is to move past that point.  You might have to sacrifice some loading for mobility but if done correctly, it will be temporary.
Mike Prevost, PhD
Assistant Professor, Loyola Marymount University
CAPT US Navy Retired
http://built-to-endure.blogspot.com/

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Mike Prevost wrote: For old guys, mobility and movement competency is the strength training program! . . . .  For old guys this means full range of motion exercises.  Preserving the ability to move the joints through a full range of motion, pain free, is the ultimate goal.  
+1

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Mike Prevost wrote:By the time we hit our prime (20s - 30s), we have lost some of that movement ability but have gained strength.  This is probably the leading cause of recreational sports injuries.  20 and 30 somethings are strong enough but don't move as well as they did 10 years ago, so they get injured.  Most middle aged guys are losing both movement competency and strength.  Old guys have lost a considerable amount of both qualities.  The loss can be enough to seriously impair quality of life.  For an old guy, movement competency simply must be addressed.  It makes sense to work on mobility and movement competency throughout your lifespan.
Oh yeah... Thank you.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Well how about an after 50 club? Just found TB, 1st time on the forum, read the books and ready to go. At 54 next month I may well be the oldest one here but possibly with the least experience. I have no real decent consistent run at barbell training. I have been all over the map regarding programs. Never trained with weights until 5 years ago when I joined a Crossfit style gym. Started running about 15 years ago and ran many marathons and Ultras since. Weight training has been sporadic when I left the gym and continued to play around with Ultra running. I utilized Stronglifts 5x5 program when not
training for a long race, however I seem to get burned out after 3 months or so. I'm ready for something new that I can use for the long haul (whatever that may be at 54). I'm not planning on running any more marathons or beyond. I come into this with a decent endurance level but would like to focus on building more strength and conditioning. I feel I have found the 'Golden Ticket' in this program and I'm excited to see where it takes me. Pete.H