Squat Substitutes

MxS/SE/HIC/E
NFARCH

Squat Substitutes

Post by NFARCH »

Hey guys, just curious. For those of you that don't barbell back-squat, what do you do instead?

Bonus question; what differences (if any) do you notice between your leg exercise of choice and back-squats?

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: Squat Substitutes

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Front Squat
Zercher Squat - there is a thread already on this section about this particular exercise [with links]
KB Front Squat.
Goblet Squat - although this is more for patterning purposes - a Goblet Squat with a 48kg KB is not that impressive unless you are of the 'very small person' variety [having got it into position and holding it]

You also have single leg variants [Lunge / Bulgarian Split Squat / Air Lunge / Pistol]

Back Squats - Low Bar or High Bar - one is powerlifting style and has a heavy recruitment of hamstrings and glutes, and the other is bodybuilding style, again good for strength, but less of a 'recruiter' of hammies.

I personally favour the front squat and KB Front Squat ..... as stated in a previous thread, I tend to do Zercher Squats with SB and for SE purposes.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Box Squats

I have chronic hip inflammation in my right hip. Because of this there's a certain point in my squat depth that will cause some serious pain and make me drop the bar. To combat this I use a variation of box squats. I squat back and touch my ass to a bench I put behind me. I simply touch it and go back up, utilizing it as a depth guage. I don't rest on it as you do in some versions of box squats. It ends up being just a hair over competition depth, but it's better than not squatting at all.

NFARCH

Post by NFARCH »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Front Squat
Zercher Squat - there is a thread already on this section about this particular exercise [with links]
KB Front Squat.
Goblet Squat - although this is more for patterning purposes - a Goblet Squat with a 48kg KB is not that impressive unless you are of the 'very small person' variety [having got it into position and holding it]

You also have single leg variants [Lunge / Bulgarian Split Squat / Air Lunge / Pistol]

Back Squats - Low Bar or High Bar - one is powerlifting style and has a heavy recruitment of hamstrings and glutes, and the other is bodybuilding style, again good for strength, but less of a 'recruiter' of hammies.

I personally favour the front squat and KB Front Squat ..... as stated in a previous thread, I tend to do Zercher Squats with SB and for SE purposes.
Thanks. Another question if you don't mind, do you feel like you're missing out on anything by not doing the traditional back-squat?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Foot elevated Bulgarian split squats, especially using slow eccentrics or bottom pauses, are really great. They lower the amount of weight you are using, so they stress the back/hips less, but there also help with imbalances, mobility, and they are very tough. I make them a main event in my cluster one block every year.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:Foot elevated Bulgarian split squats, especially using slow eccentrics or bottom pauses, are really great. They lower the amount of weight you are using, so they stress the back/hips less, but there also help with imbalances, mobility, and they are very tough. I make them a main event in my cluster one block every year.
And if you want to make it even more challenging.. Try goblet style with holding bar cross grip/front squat style. You will be very strong once you master it..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Stechkin

Post by Stechkin »

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

I would say this, if you want to get stronger at the back squat, you have to back squat.

If you want stronger legs, almost any knee dominant lift or move that allows for progressive overload will do the trick.

The front squat and Zercher squat are great because they stress your back and force thoracic extension - particularly excellent if you're correcting your posture. Goblets are pretty good but only allow for progressive overload up to the point where you can hold a single heavy dumbbell in front of you.

Lunges with the barbell held in a front or back squat position are also very powerful leg builder too.

That said, we come back to the basic premise - any knee dominant movement which requires dynamic stabilisation of your entire body, and allows for progressive overload will build strength an muscles. Don't rely only on 1 move, which ever you choose - use variants every now and again to keep your weak links in check.
Last edited by Blackmetalbunny on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:I make them a main event in my cluster one block every year.
I think having 1 block of unilateral movements once a year is a great strategy staying injury free. IMHO.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Dot hop

Post by Dot hop »

Every few blocks,I'll swap out back squats for Zercher Airborne lunges a la Max Shank's Ultimate Athleticism.