Deadlift and Press Cluster

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Stefano

Deadlift and Press Cluster

Post by Stefano »

Hello, hope everyone is well!! :)

Due to a job and life changes, now I can only train at home for a long time (I live in a very small flat) where I have access to a barbell and a pull up bar, so I don’t have a power rack and bench.

I really love pressing overhead, so I can focus now in improving my OHP to reach the BW Press goal.
My main goal is strength and mass and my cluster (following Operator I/A) will be Deadlift and Overhead Press (plus the Fighter Pull Ups program to increase my BW PU reps to 15, now I have a max of 10, the i’ll go weighted).

I have some question for you, if I can:

- I’ve never done DL with a 3xweek frequency, my concern is lower back health with so much deadlifting...maybe is better to use a variation such as Snatch Grip Deadlift or I can go Conventional without problems?

- I know KB advice, more weight equals more muscles involved and more strength...for my Cluster is better to use Strict OHP or Push Press, where I can use more weight?

- one last question: can I pair my Fighter Pull Up program in my Operator days or is it better to do my pull ups on Off days where I don’t lift?

Thanks a lot and good training to all!

TBPenguin

Re: Deadlift and Press Cluster

Post by TBPenguin »

Stefano if you are not very strong already you should be fine with DL submaximal 3x/week. Snatch grip is maybe better for hypertrophy but it is harder, not easier, on the lower back. So don't try that for the first block. Sumo or semi-sumo might be a little easier to do with the higher frequency but if you haven't ben doing them, they have other ways of hurting you if you don't have them dialed in. If conventional is the form you have been practicing stay with that and just make the reps perfect. I would stick with strict OHP for two reasons. One is your goal of a BW OHP, push presses won't help as much because they bypass the part of the lift that is limiting. Also it is hard to do them so that each rep is the same. Harder to be consistent in your rep quality.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Stefano wrote:Hello, hope everyone is well!! :)

Due to a job and life changes, now I can only train at home for a long time (I live in a very small flat) where I have access to a barbell and a pull up bar, so I don’t have a power rack and bench.

I really love pressing overhead, so I can focus now in improving my OHP to reach the BW Press goal.
My main goal is strength and mass and my cluster (following Operator I/A) will be Deadlift and Overhead Press (plus the Fighter Pull Ups program to increase my BW PU reps to 15, now I have a max of 10, the i’ll go weighted).

I have some question for you, if I can:

- I’ve never done DL with a 3xweek frequency, my concern is lower back health with so much deadlifting...maybe is better to use a variation such as Snatch Grip Deadlift or I can go Conventional without problems?

- I know KB advice, more weight equals more muscles involved and more strength...for my Cluster is better to use Strict OHP or Push Press, where I can use more weight?

- one last question: can I pair my Fighter Pull Up program in my Operator days or is it better to do my pull ups on Off days where I don’t lift?

Thanks a lot and good training to all!
Deadlift options allow you to pull 1 to 3 times a week for 1 to 3 work sets. There's no need to go all in if you have concerns. If I were you and wanted to DL three times a week I would start with 1 work set for workout #1 and #2, and 3 work sets for the last workout of the week. See how it goes and adjust fire.

My vote is on the OHP. KB's advice was in relation to bench vs ohp in the context of a minimalist cluster. There's usually a significant difference (like 50, 100, couple 100lbs) between what people bench vs press. Not going to be as much between a push-press or OHP to make that kind of difference.

I would pair pull-ups with strength work, the Operator days. Pull-ups are max-strength movements for most. Having that rest day in between max-strength keeps you fresh and can mean the difference between constant progress and quick plateau, ime. Otherwise you'll be carrying over fatigue from your pull-ups into your operator session, and from your operator session over to your pull-ups. Unless you're not doing anything at all on your in-between days. Are you doing any conditioning, sports or training on non-operator days?

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Thanks a lot TBPenguin and StayGrey! Those are some solid and great advices!

So i’ll stick to Conventional DL and Strict OHP for my cluster...i’ll be very careful about DL sets and volume, listening to my body and beginning with the minimal sets prescribed by Operator I/A template.

I don’t do a lot of conditioning in my Non/MS days because my goals are Barbell Strength and overall mass...I do some walking and swimming, but really easy...for that reason I thought to keep Pull ups on off days, because I don’t do a lot of aerobic and HIC sessions..

I’ll ask also about the Pull Ups on off days because my grip is usually fried after DL...but I thought another option: what about doing my Pull Ups in my Strength Days but in different part of the day (maybe in the morning before going to work)? Then, when I’ll come back home i’ll do my barbell workout

claude512

Post by claude512 »

Is there any way you could rig something to hold the barbell where you can get it into a front squat position? Even if in the bottom position?

That would be perfect really, cluster of FS/OHP/PU with DL once a week or so... that would save your back and also you’d have a mass building squat in there?

CD51

Post by CD51 »

One top set of pulls if you’re pulling three times a week.

I agree with claude512, FS/OHP/WPU alternated with DL as a cluster. Clean the bar and front squat it.

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Thanks everyone for the answers and all the advices:
I decided to learn Sumo DL and incorporate it in my minimal cluster (I read also that DL/Press is an approved cluster for Operator in the book)...I started very conservative and filming all my sets in order to nail the correct technique...especially knees and hip position

I can power clean only 50% of my front squat and I haven’t any other ways to squat with safety in my flat, so I had to arrange a cluster with what I have available...I am not too worried about the lack of squat, I am not a powerlifter and I think that DL a Press and Pull Ups are good exercises for my goals of mass and strength :)