Finally joined and question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Version1

Finally joined and question

Post by Version1 »

Finally signed up for the board rather than lurking.Loving the mindset of the program and the books ,have AA TB1 and 2 and AA and MP
I have a suggestion for the next book
As so many on here are MMA ,BJJ /Combat Sports
How about a TB-Fight ??
I'm intrigued to see J-MADD approach to training now as AA was when he just Started Bjj and KBlack has dabbled and experimented
Yes yes ,I know READ THE BOOKS
But it's always interesting to look at what the smart people are doing and see other approaches to the same problem

Maxrip13

Re: Finally joined and question

Post by Maxrip13 »

The TB books reference some specific source material on combat sports training e.g Joel jamiesons conditioning book and Ross enameits stuff(Ross training).
In the interim the training logs would be a good place to start. You will be able to see how some people approach fitting everything in.

Version1

Post by Version1 »

Yep there's some gold in the logs

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good luck with your training!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Version1

Post by Version1 »

Barkadion wrote:Good luck with your training!
Thanks man
It's fitting into my other stuff well so far

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

My personal experience with TB for bjj/sub wrestling - it is great for limit strength and aerobic endurance, or the 2 ends of the attribute curve.

However, for an "experienced" (ie >40 yo) person like me, I found that my lagging attributes appear to be speed and power. For example my push press/strict press ratio is low, and while I am stronger than some of my younger training partners, I am unable to match them in shows of explosive capability like standing broad jumps, running vert jumps. My power clean is also a lower % of my deadlift/squat than some of these younger folks, though I won't rule out the fact that perhaps my technique sucks.

The old adage of more strength leading to more power is true, but if the latter is the desired attribute, I reckon I could improve it more directly.

My personal modification is to add in "power cycles", where I do lifts like push presses or power jerks, med ball tosses, as well as sprint starts, broad jumps. I am curious to hear about the experience of others with regards to this.

At the end of the day, technique is the master attribute when it comes to mat performance, however being stronger, having a big gas tank, and having a high rate of force development certainly help!
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Version1

Post by Version1 »

godjira1 wrote:My personal experience with TB for bjj/sub wrestling - it is great for limit strength and aerobic endurance, or the 2 ends of the attribute curve.

However, for an "experienced" (ie >40 yo) person like me, I found that my lagging attributes appear to be speed and power. For example my push press/strict press ratio is low, and while I am stronger than some of my younger training partners, I am unable to match them in shows of explosive capability like standing broad jumps, running vert jumps. My power clean is also a lower % of my deadlift/squat than some of these younger folks, though I won't rule out the fact that perhaps my technique sucks.

The old adage of more strength leading to more power is true, but if the latter is the desired attribute, I reckon I could improve it more directly.

My personal modification is to add in "power cycles", where I do lifts like push presses or power jerks, med ball tosses, as well as sprint starts, broad jumps. I am curious to hear about the experience of others with regards to this.

At the end of the day, technique is the master attribute when it comes to mat performance, however being stronger, having a big gas tank, and having a high rate of force development certainly help!
Yes completely get that ,kneeling med ball slams,box jumps etc ,sprints for definite

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

godjira1 wrote:My personal experience with TB for bjj/sub wrestling - it is great for limit strength and aerobic endurance, or the 2 ends of the attribute curve.

I find sprints keep some of that explosive power. Especially hill sprints. I added sprints back in after a long period of LSS and started hitting my singles and doubles again.

I have used broad jumps and focused on perfect landing over distance with some success also.