Clean and Jerk cluster?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
jzt

Clean and Jerk cluster?

Post by jzt »

Has anyone tried running a cluster with the Clean and Jerk + 1 pull?

Obviously it's more complex than that, but the CnJ pretty much encompasses a Deadlift and a (push) Press in one lift. For those looking for a minimalist strength approach, while incorporating the speed/power aspect, I figured it was something to consider.

CnJ + Weighted Chin Ups is definitely something I'd like to try.

The SE would take care of whatever is missing with KB swings, Goblet Squats, Push Ups, etc.

Just food for thought and curious to hear what others have to say.

Aiwacht

Re: Clean and Jerk cluster?

Post by Aiwacht »

I did a thing like this once which I got from either John McCallum or Bryce Lane that they called Progressive Pulls.

Clean & Press for 3-5's until you hit near-max for 3s
Clean for 2-3s until you hit near max for 2s
Deadlifts for 5's

Worked great. Could easily be worked into TB percentages.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Currently doing clean and press with back squats and bodyweight pull-ups. I like it.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Aiwacht wrote:I did a thing like this once which I got from either John McCallum or Bryce Lane that they called Progressive Pulls.

Deadlifts for 5's

That was from McCallum's Keys to Progress, great book.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
Aiwacht wrote:I did a thing like this once which I got from either John McCallum or Bryce Lane that they called Progressive Pulls.

Deadlifts for 5's

That was from McCallum's Keys to Progress, great book.
McCallum, Super Squats, and John Christy is where I got my start! Love McCallum.

jzt

Post by jzt »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Currently doing clean and press with back squats and bodyweight pull-ups. I like it
I think that's a great cluster. My right knee has been acting up, so I took out squats for a bit (Last PR was 5 x 365 below parallel). I'm running Clean and Jerk + Weighted Chins, which is as minimalist as you can get, but for me it covers what I'm looking for; speed/power, pulling strength, keeping BW in check/relative strength, pushing strength.

Also, I find that my max strength was vastly superior to my power. I can deadlift 500lbs, but I have serious doubts about a 200lbs power clean. I think speed and explosion is something that's missing for a lot of athletes and I'd like to work on that.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

For me it’s working out a number of different ways really well. I am hesitant to get back to heavy deadlifts due to some back issues but since the squat cleans are explosive and light I’m still getting some pulling in there. The squat cleans also warm up my legs for the squatting right after so I only need one warm up set typically which saves some time. And by cleaning each rep I’m sure there’s some minor conditioning going on as well. I just remember the quote by Dan John. If all you did was clean and press you could be awesome. Add pull ups and squats and I think it’s a perfect combination for me right now.

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

jzt wrote:Has anyone tried running a cluster with the Clean and Jerk + 1 pull?

Obviously it's more complex than that, but the CnJ pretty much encompasses a Deadlift and a (push) Press in one lift. For those looking for a minimalist strength approach, while incorporating the speed/power aspect, I figured it was something to consider.

CnJ + Weighted Chin Ups is definitely something I'd like to try.

The SE would take care of whatever is missing with KB swings, Goblet Squats, Push Ups, etc.

Just food for thought and curious to hear what others have to say.

I think it’s a great cluster and definitely very similar to the cluster i’m running now....

For me it’s Snatch Grip Deadlift, Overhead Press and Weighted Chins: it’s the first time i’m able to stick with the same cluster for more of three months...I experienced some great strength and size gains!