SE Question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
burwat

SE Question

Post by burwat »

Hi All,

Im new to TB and was pointed in this direction by a guy I know that is ex British special forces, hes 58 and out works anybody at the gym.

He has put a base building plan together for me however the SE set up differs from the books:

The approach he suggests is an amrap in 20 mins of the below session:
5 Pull up
!0 Press (empty bar)
10 Goblet Squat
10 KB Swing

This appeals to me as I will know exactly how long the session is going to take, what i need to know is would this be a sensible approach or is it sub optimal and would I be better served just running the SE as explained in the books?

Thanks

close_fox

Re: SE Question

Post by close_fox »

Solid cluster.

IMO, the 20min AMRAP you describe would be HIC. The text says to focus on certain HICs during BB to get the correct adaptations.

You could structure it into Tango circuits to make it "by the book" SE. Something like:

5 Pull up
1min rest
Press (empty bar) x 1min
1min rest
Goblet Squat x 1min
1min rest
KB Swing x 1min
Rest 3min
Repeat

That would give you about 20min total. Too intense for BB IMO. But you could do worse.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Maxrip13

Re: SE Question

Post by Maxrip13 »

burwat wrote:Hi All,

Im new to TB and was pointed in this direction by a guy I know that is ex British special forces, hes 58 and out works anybody at the gym.

He has put a base building plan together for me however the SE set up differs from the books:

The approach he suggests is an amrap in 20 mins of the below session:
5 Pull up
!0 Press (empty bar)
10 Goblet Squat
10 KB Swing

This appeals to me as I will know exactly how long the session is going to take, what i need to know is would this be a sensible approach or is it sub optimal and would I be better served just running the SE as explained in the books?

Thanks
If you can pace it you will do alright with it. That same cluster done as per normal basebuilding would be done in under 20 mins though nearly. Even the sets of 50 will only take you a couple mins outside of pull-ups which you could sub for a row or lower reps.