Unconventional Cluster

MxS/SE/HIC/E
burwat

Unconventional Cluster

Post by burwat »

Hi All
Age/sex: 39 Year old male
Training Goal: Firstly increase conditioning. Secondly Maintain/gain strength
Strength Template: Currently Base Building looking at Fighter or Fighter Bangkok after BB
Conditioning: Undecided between black or green
Lift numbers: Bench-147.5 KG Squat-200 KG Deadlift-207.5 KG
Run Times: Unknown, tried a week of running, but knees became really sore so moved to cycling. I am going to give running another go as I would like to be able to run a 5k again without having to stop

Currently running Base building with a Squat, Bench, Deadlift cluster and looking at planning my training for when base building has finished.

Since my training in the last few years has focused around those 3 lifts I was looking at using a cluster of:
- Thruster
- Trap bar deadlift
- Pull ups

I tested these lifts when prepping for BB and came out with a Thruster of 100KG x3 and Trap bar DL of 190KGx3 so I can load each lift pretty well. I am looking to increase my conditioning to be fitter than the average person, I have no particular run times in mind that I am desperate to reach but would like to be able to run 5k without needing to stop.

My questions are:
1) Has anybody had any success using a similar cluster to what I am looking at or any cautions against it?
2) Would black protocol be enough for my goals or would I be better running a block or 2 of green?

Any advice appreciated :)

jzt

Re: Unconventional Cluster

Post by jzt »

burwat wrote:Hi All
Strength Template: Currently Base Building looking at Fighter or Fighter Bangkok after BB
Run Times: Unknown, tried a week of running, but knees became really sore so moved to cycling. I am going to give running another go as I would like to be able to run a 5k again without having to stop

Currently running Base building with a Squat, Bench, Deadlift cluster and looking at planning my training for when base building has finished.

Since my training in the last few years has focused around those 3 lifts I was looking at using a cluster of:
- Thruster
- Trap bar deadlift
- Pull ups

I tested these lifts when prepping for BB and came out with a Thruster of 100KG x3 and Trap bar DL of 190KGx3 so I can load each lift pretty well. I am looking to increase my conditioning to be fitter than the average person, I have no particular run times in mind that I am desperate to reach but would like to be able to run 5k without needing to stop.

My questions are:
1) Has anybody had any success using a similar cluster to what I am looking at or any cautions against it?
2) Would black protocol be enough for my goals or would I be better running a block or 2 of green?

Hey there and welcome.

First of all, those are very solid starting strength numbers. From my experience, I have ran a cluster of Press, Weighted Chin Ups and Trap Deadlift and really enjoyed it. I think your cluster is somewhat similar to that, so I really see no issues with it.

Another piece of advice, I was a complete newbie in regards to conditioning too (still am) and running made my knees really sore. With squatting 2-3x per week and running 2-3x as well, it just didnt seem like a good idea. How much do you weigh? Im 210lbs in the morning, lean, so Im sure that has to do with it. Biking, rope jumping, sprints, heavy bag, etc. might all be better options for you. I dont mind sore muscles, but sore joints are usually no good.

In regards to your second question, if I were you, I would run at least a block or two of green to build a solid aerobic foundation. Definitely set a conditioning goal for yourself, that way you can work towards it. It could be anything, really; 5k in sub 25 mins, 1000 rope jumps in 5 mins, 10 rounds of 3 mins ON / 1 min OFF on the heavy bag, etc. You also dont HAVE to run a conditioning protocol initially. Personaly, I only ran the strength portion for my first block to get used to it, I did cardio on the side, but without any structure. After that, it is wise to incorporate a more structured a approach imo.

burwat

Re: Unconventional Cluster

Post by burwat »

jzt wrote:
burwat wrote:Hi All

- Thruster
- Trap bar deadlift
- Pull ups

My questions are:

Hey there and welcome.

First of all, those are very solid starting strength numbers. From my experience, I have ran a cluster of Press, Weighted Chin Ups and Trap Deadlift and really enjoyed it. I think your cluster is somewhat similar to that, so I really see no issues with it.

Another piece of advice, I was a complete newbie in regards to conditioning too (still am) and running made my knees really sore. With squatting 2-3x per week and running 2-3x as well, it just didnt seem like a good idea. How much do you weigh? Im 210lbs in the morning, lean, so Im sure that has to do with it. Biking, rope jumping, sprints, heavy bag, etc. might all be better options for you. I dont mind sore muscles, but sore joints are usually no good.

In regards to your second question, if I were you, I would run at least a block or two of green to build a solid aerobic foundation. Definitely set a conditioning goal for yourself, that way you can work towards it. It could be anything, really; 5k in sub 25 mins, 1000 rope jumps in 5 mins, 10 rounds of 3 mins ON / 1 min OFF on the heavy bag, etc. You also dont HAVE to run a conditioning protocol initially. Personaly, I only ran the strength portion for my first block to get used to it, I did cardio on the side, but without any structure. After that, it is wise to incorporate a more structured a approach imo.
Hey,

Thank you for the response, I currently weigh 90KG at 5ft 7inch and around 18%bf,

I may actually swap out the Thruster and use Press, Trap bar dead and pull up and try running again maybe dropping squats of any kind may help with the knee pain.

Your points about a conditioning goal are well made so I will have a think and make a plan.

Thanks